Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2021, 05:17 PM   #1

Wide pricing range for slide out awning

I noticed Solara awnings for slide outs are in the three hundred range, and some are less than a hundred bucks on Amazon. Does anyone know what I should be buying? I mean the cheaper awnings have just as good user feedback as the Solara ones. Most videos on YouTube hawks Solara.
ciditad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:41 PM   #2
Site Team

They're usually priced by width required to cover the slide out, so they start out cheap for a 5' one and increase as the width increases.

Also, Make sure you're not just buying a replacement fabric. Usually if it's under a $100 it's just the fabric. You have to read all the text to figure it out.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:55 PM   #3

For my 8’ slide, it is 300 for a domestic and 400 for a caretree on camping world. This includes the hardware to fasten it to the slide. Measure slide including flange plus 6” and check camping world for price. Not sure which one uses Solara fabric.
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:04 PM   #4

Since I have just replaced a couple of slide toppers (awning for slide outs) I’ll comment. I replaced the fabric only. I was able to reuse the roller and mounting tube.

I had so let’s slide toppers as oem on our trailer. They are six years old and the seam up my the trailer wall deteriorated and came unsewn causing the fabric to come out of the channel. Interesting that the two toppers that failed are on the sunny side of the trailer where it is stored.

Anyway, I ordered replacement fabric from STONE VOS. There toppers come with double sewn seams and a 10 year non-prorated warranty.

It is a two person job to install the replacement toppers. There are many YouTube videos on how to do this. My wife doesn’t do ladders well so we made up a tool that she could use to lift and hold the free end of the topper roll and it is being pulled into the channel on the trailer wall. Get a piece of 1 inch pvc pipe and cut of 4 2 to 3 inch pieces. Put the remaining pvc into the middle of a t fitting then put the small pieces into the ends of the t fitting, put on a couple of 90 degree elbows, and then insert the remaking small pieces into the elbows so that they are parallel with the long piece. You can the stay on the ground and use this as a cradle to hold the free end of the roller up as it is being manipulated into your place.

It second one was much easier to replace after the initial learning curve.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:09 PM   #5

My mistake, I see you are looking for just the awning material.
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:01 PM   #6

First let's talk quality and price. How long do you plan on keeping your unit? If it is for a short period,, such as getting ready to sell, cheaper may be an option. But labor in replacing them should also be considered. Why spend money, if paying to have them installed, or the time, DIY, to put something on that won't last. And, the better material may also be a selling point. My vote is to go to the better or best material available.

As for Amazon reviews? Amazon reviews are a craps shoot. Too few reviews may be made by shills. Legitimate reviews may be on very short term use. Some have not even installed the product yet. It looks good quality in the box tells us nothing. Research other than Amazon for reviews. And, research other websites for pricing. Though Amazoon may be convenient, the pricing may be high. I am finding that a lot more often lately.

That's not to say I don't buy from Amazon, but I will shop prices, see if other sites take PayPal and then make a decision. For instance, we wanted one food product that we had trouble finding at several grocery stores. It was close to $9.00/5 lbs on Amazon. I found it at Walmart, same brand, same size for less than $3.00. Amazon rejected my review because of the price difference I wrote in the review. It is the only one they have rejected.

More recently, we were in need of stretch bandages. The health clinic. gave us samples and gave us info to look it up on Amazon. Having found it on Amazon, I searched the net for the identical product. Approx. $35 on Amazon, $22 on a site that took PayPal. We had the product in 3 days.

This is not to bash Amazon. The moral of the story is not to take something for granted. There are other sources that provide quality and value. Just check their reputation as-well.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:54 AM   #7

PenJoe, you are right about shopping around the price for an item you may be interested in and not trusting Amazon for always having the lowest price.

I think anyone that does use Amazon often will find if they click on a given item, maybe several times spread out over a few days you may get a pop-up cheaper, maybe a lot cheaper, price on the item you were searching while viewing your emails or on some other website.

I was searching for a 30 ft. 50 amp extension cord to carry in my rig. My initial searches all came in the $120 to over $150. After several days I believe I was on this forum and a sidebar ad popped up for the 50 amp cord I was shopping now for $67 with a 30A/50A dogbone included and storage carrier. Jumped right on that deal.

I am guessing Amazon refused your price review was because you did not buy the product from them. The same goes for non-purchasers of anything on Amazon I believe. This way the reviews are harder to stuff with BS information.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
PenJoe, you are right about shopping around the price for an item you may be interested in and not trusting Amazon for always having the lowest price.

I think anyone that does use Amazon often will find if they click on a given item, maybe several times spread out over a few days you may get a pop-up cheaper, maybe a lot cheaper, price on the item you were searching while viewing your emails or on some other website.

I was searching for a 30 ft. 50 amp extension cord to carry in my rig. My initial searches all came in the $120 to over $150. After several days I believe I was on this forum and a sidebar ad popped up for the 50 amp cord I was shopping now for $67 with a 30A/50A dogbone included and storage carrier. Jumped right on that deal.

I am guessing Amazon refused your price review was because you did not buy the product from them. The same goes for non-purchasers of anything on Amazon I believe. This way the reviews are harder to stuff with BS information.

People have posted Amazon reviews when they have purchased from other than Amazon. But, they have reviewers. It is not good for business when they are called on scalper's pricing. I figured that they would pull the review when I wrote it. I just wanted to let them know that people do pay attention.

Price reductions are common on eBay once you click a selection. In a couple of days the seller will leave an email dropping the price by a percentage.

I have had the opposite experience with Amazon at least twice around Christmas times. I find an item I am looking for at a great price, I add it to the cart and then discuss the purchase with my wife. With the go, I go to checkout and the price has significantly increased. I remove it. I don't play those games.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide, slide out