Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2022, 07:49 PM   #1

WiFiRanger Wiring diagram

Help Fellow RV'ers I have a 2019 coachmen freelander 26ds with WiFiRanger factory installed. When I turn on the WiFi I get no power to the unit. . I am hoping someone has the wiring diagram in PDF format so I can try without ripping out the complete ceiling to find the disconnected wire or issue.

I have spoken with tech support at WiFiRanger but they are also stumped as to what to do to fix it

Thanks Jeff Western Montana
jisherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:55 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately, I can't help, but there are people who have experience with the WiFiRanger. You're probably not going to find a wiring diagram though.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:29 AM   #3
Steve & Linda M.

Is this a new event ? Or is it something that happened recently ? What equipment from WiFiRanger are you dealing with ? Is it the Indoor Router or the Outdoor Unit (or combination) ?

If Indoor router, then you should be able to apply 12VDC to the barrel connector from a alternate source, as long as the barrel connector matches that on the router.

That would at least be able to answer the question if the power lead is the problem.

Same situation if you have a roof mounted unit, just would require a much longer lead and climbing on the roof.

If the alternate power source doesn't power up the device, then you'll have to try to find out how the fuse(s) and wiring were installed. This can be a challenge. So I understand your quest for the wiring diagram.

The WFR was apparently installed by the factory. The wiring to the device, like so many other "appliances" in the RV, can't be addressed by the "appliance" manufacturer. They typically are not party to how the device was installed.

Sometimes rewiring around the problem might be the easiest solution.
Started back in '82 and cheap beer was good enough. "Pumpkin" '79 Burnt Orange Dodge "Street Van" Round trip to Alaska '87 ~ 10kMi - hope 2 repeat. Since 1994 Tioga Montara (new), 2006 Jayco Jay Flight 5th Wheel (new), 2015 Thor Siesta (new - Workmanship sucked) & 2017 Tiffin Breeze (Used -Workmanship decline cont.)
Another big RV learning experience.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:30 AM   #4
Befuddled wanderer

Jeff,
I suggest checking the places that have easy access first. It's easy to take the cover off the wifi ranger unit and verify that the positive and negative wires are securely attached to the proper connection points. The bare end of the wire is inserted under a screw which is then tightened down. It's possible that it was not done correctly when the unit was installed and was never tested.

With the cover off the unit and the switch turned on, use a meter to check if the wire coming to the unit has 12V. If the wire is providing 12V and it's attached properly to the wifi ranger, then I would say your unit is bad.

The next easiest place to check would be the back of the switch that turns it on. You could check the connectors there and make sure they are hooked up properly.

While looking at the back of the switch, take a volt meter and verify that you are getting 12V to the switch. If there is 12V coming to the switch and the switch is on, check that there is 12V leaving the switch. If not, the switch is bad. If you are not getting 12V to the switch move on to the next step.

After that, the next thing to try and figure out is whether or not the power lead is hooked to the 12V power supply properly and that the fuse for that circuit is still good. Check the fuse with a meter because those fuses sometimes look good, but are not. I guess I would start by checking the fuse if you can figure out which one is for that circuit because that is the easiest. Checking the wires leaving the inverter is a bit more of a challenge.

If you find that you have 12V power at one of the places but it is not reaching the next location, that would indicate a bad wire between the two places. Hopefully you won't find that because I have no idea how hard it would be to replace that.

Hope this helps!

2020 Rockwood Ultra Light 2891 BH
1996 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 8.0L V10

"Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice"
cc102bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:44 AM   #5

Agree with cc102bob. There are fuses behind the control panel that power various other things, such as the WiFi ranger. I had to replace one on our new trailer a month or so ago. Was a 3amp fuse in the wiring bundle behind the control panel.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:45 AM   #6
Canadian Member

First, welcome to the forum, Jeff.

I don’t know anything about the Coachmen Freelander Class C MHs but on my 2019 Rockwood fifth wheel the WiFiRanger that was factory installed was a Sky3 model. I believe that same model year the factory switched to the Sky4 model. Both have since been discontinued. If it was factory installed, I suspect your WiFiRanger is one of those models. In fact, I found this PDF of the Sky4 on the Coachmen website.

https://coachmenrv.com/brochures/000...nformation.pdf

On the WiFiRanger Sky series modem, all the electronics are in a white box on the roof. The white box has either one (Sky3) or two (Sky4) small rubber-covered antennas. On mine, the only wiring that the factory had to run to the WiFiRanger on the roof was a 12 VDC power line. Here’s a picture of the inside of my Sky3 (which I’ve upgraded to the Sky4).

Click image for larger version

Name:	046DE432-A2D2-4E1F-AAD3-25812648BB8B.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	276787

There won’t be a wiring diagram but, presumably, the wiring starts at the 12 VDC fuse panel, goes to a WiFiRanger wall switch and then up to the modem on the roof. First, check on the roof that you have 12 VDC on the power wires up there. If you have no power, maybe you can apply 12 VDC directly to the modem’s power input terminals to see if it powers up. It’s possible that the housing on the roof leaked and it has shorted out. If that happened, you should be able to see it quickly after removing the clear lid on the white box on the roof.

Good luck.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:05 PM   #7

Well it is an outside unit (Sky4). I have used my tester at the switch and get 12 volts when powered on with all leads. Go to the top of the MH and test the wires there and get zero power. Removed today the unit from the top of MH again tested several wiring connections that come from inside the MH and still zero voltage.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:11 PM   #8

itat Mine looks really close to your picture but has a secondary card also. Like said before no power on roof. Going to try your idea and find some 12 volt power I can steal and run cable to roof to check WiFi Ranger. Will post results soon. Thanks again for the suggestions. Under door step is 2-12 volt batteries I can hook up to one of them to test.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:17 PM   #9

well i finally ran wire from 12 volt source to WiFi and i got the light on board to light up. So now I need to know if I can pull a new set of wires back to the on/off switch. I am really hoping they are not taped to another set of wires in the ceiling.
Any ideas?
Old 08-01-2022, 08:00 AM   #10
Befuddled wanderer

Can you confirm that the color of the wires that come out of your roof to the wifi unit are the same as the colors of the wire leaving the power switch? Although it's not likely, it wouldn't entirely surprise me that the factory somehow managed to hook the wrong wire to the power switch.

As for pulling a new set of wires - I'm guessing the reason the power isn't getting to the wifi unit is that the factory managed to run a screw through the wire somewhere, thus breaking the connection. That also likely means you won't be able to hook another wire to that one and pull it back through. I guess there is only one way to find out... If it were me I'd get an assistant to watch the wire by the switch panel while I tried tugging on the wire on the roof to see if it is loose enough to be pulled out. If it is, the next challenge would be hooking a new wire to the old in such a way that the connection is as thin as possible, but still strong enough to survive being pulled through the walls and ceiling. When I've done something similar in the past, I've basically made interlocking nooses with the copper wires and then soldered them so they wouldn't come apart.

I hope you are able to work something out!

Old 08-14-2022, 04:22 PM   #11

WiFi Ranger Issue FIXED....

Well after several weeks of slowly trying to follow wires and really not getting any where. I made teh BIG jump and removed cabinet wall to find the following construction error. As you can see from the attachment installer did not see teh wires don't connect. If I had known that behind the microwave was where the wires ran I could have this thing fixed in a jiffy. Better yet if Forest River would verify their construction connection none of this would have been an issue. When you pay folks piece work they just throw as many together to make a $$$. Let the end MH owner figure out what has happened and try to fix it themselves. I guess that why they call it retirement so you can spend days figuring out MH issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220810_090214.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	277845  
Old 08-14-2022, 04:41 PM   #12
Befuddled wanderer

Perseverance pays off! Congratulations!

I didn't have anything in my rig that didn't get power, but they messed up the speaker wiring pretty good and I found several loose connections on the coax cables used for the TV signal.

Tags
diagram, ram, wifi, wiring