Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #1

Wildwood rear bumper...

I'm picking up my new Wildwood 28DBUD this coming weekend, are there any Wildwood owners who know if the rear bumper has a Class 3 hitch receiver on it?

I'd like to know whether my flag pole mount for Old Glory is going to work.

Thanks in advance!
eddiemartinez_28dbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #2

Well, this one doesn't (pic #18):

https://www.funtownrv.com/product/ne...dbud-733057-29

Neither does this one (pic #3):
https://www.meyersrvsuperstores.com/...-28DBUD-30132/

So I'd say NO.

If ALL you're going to mount is Old Glory, you can get one of these Curt bolt-on jobs:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curt Bumper mount.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	167869

This guy has a bike rack on it, I wouldn't put anything but Old Glory on it, unless MAYBE I added these first:
https://mount-n-lock.com/all-product...bumper-failure

Here's another option:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Hitch/Curt/13703.html

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #3

Thanks Rockfordroo! I just heard back from my dealer and my model does not include the hitch, so I ordered one from amazon. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-12-2018, 10:59 PM   #4

Just be careful. They'd like nothing better than to void your warranty for something like that. Don't really see a problem though with just a flag pole.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #5

Thank you!

Thanks for the reply and yes you are correct. I know how they can be when it comes to voiding warranties. Luckily the sales guy was good enough to reply to an email about the class 3 receiver and suggested I get an aftermarket type. Of course I'm just using it for the flag.

BTW, I'm picking it up tomorrow and I know the finance dept will attempt to sell me an extended warranty. I'm set against that because of past experiences with my Ford F-150 extended warranties, twice I've tried to use them and twice I've been denied. So on the travel trailer I'm thinking of having a $2,000 rainy day fund for repairs. Use it and replenish it as needed. Do you have any experiences with RV extended warranties?

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemartinez_28dbud View Post
Thanks for the reply and yes you are correct. I know how they can be when it comes to voiding warranties. Luckily the sales guy was good enough to reply to an email about the class 3 receiver and suggested I get an aftermarket type. Of course I'm just using it for the flag.

BTW, I'm picking it up tomorrow and I know the finance dept will attempt to sell me an extended warranty. I'm set against that because of past experiences with my Ford F-150 extended warranties, twice I've tried to use them and twice I've been denied. So on the travel trailer I'm thinking of having a $2,000 rainy day fund for repairs. Use it and replenish it as needed. Do you have any experiences with RV extended warranties?

Thanks!
Great subject for debate on the forum. Based on my read of a number of threads on this issue, I'd say a "majority" (75%?) of us are against them, but some folks just feel better, thinking they have some "insurance." If you're handy, you can fix most things yourself. If not, then maybe an EW is for you.

If do it, make sure to read the fine print. Many of them require you have yearly "preventive maintenance" (PM) work done by a qualified dealer (not you) that YOU have to pay for. So in addition to the purchase price, you have yearly PM costs.

Also be aware they probably only cover Forest River stuff. Things like the furnace, AC, WH, stove, etc. are usually not covered. Buyer beware!

Put "extended warranty" in the search field at the top of the page if care to peruse the existing threads on this subject.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #7

Okay, thanks!
Old 04-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
I'm picking up my new Wildwood 28DBUD this coming weekend, are there any Wildwood owners who know if the rear bumper has a Class 3 hitch receiver on it?

I'd like to know whether my flag pole mount for Old Glory is going to work.

Thanks in advance!
If your "Flag pole mount" allows the pole to extend down to the ground giving it a" 2 point mount" you should be good,if you use a 20' pole with a 5x7 flag on a Windy day depending on just the sheet metal bumper,failure is Forthcoming! Youroo!!
Old 04-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #9

The 2 point mount suggestion is a good point I had not thought about. Here is what I ordered, and it looks like the pole holder is not made for the pole to drop through it for 2 point position. However it looks like something that can be "customized" if need be by a torch or hacksaw.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #10
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:

Thanks!
Attaching a trailer hitch to your trailer frame may void the warranty.

Don't rely on your dealership to tell you...

Call Forest River and have your vin# handy, and they'll tell you the real answer.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildwood