Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2022, 12:31 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I got my rear observation camera for being able to see who is behind me, when driving. But it does help seeing the wife's hand signals when backing up.
Hand Signals are an entire subject by itself.

My favorite is the "swatting flies". You want me to do what????
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 12:55 PM   #42

Larry-NC - What do you mean by Crank the steering full over. Is that a full circle turn?

JKelly 66, I'm in your spot, too. Hours and days of practice, I haven't improved much. So I am limited on where I can camp as I make certain I have a pull-through, and make reservations for those for the entire upcoming summer's planned trips nine months ahead of time. Then I just have the stress of backing into my driveway once home (with lots of on-coming traffic.)

I do like the backup camera for on-the-road awareness of vehicles all around me, and since I don't have a reliable spotter, it keeps me from backing too far into my driveway.

"If something can go wrong, it will -
but not if you're prepared." Murphy's Corollary
IamJean2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 02:15 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Not near as much as a spotter.

I agree that a GOOD spotter is more beneficial than a rear camera. My wife just couldn't understand the geometry, so the camera was the choice for me to park the RV and for marital harmony...
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 02:36 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Hand Signals are an entire subject by itself.

My favorite is the "swatting flies". You want me to do what????
As a retired firefighter, I taught the DW the proper hand signals for backing someone up. She's great at it. She backs me up a 150ft 14% grade driveway, into a 12ft wide parking spot, whenever we return home from a camping trip.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:26 PM   #45

I would prefer a personís help with back-up guidance, but my wife has a mobility issue. So, I do use a camera to supplement mirrors and a healthy amount of getting out. When safe, she may sit at the far side of the picnic table to call out any objects I may not be able to see on the door side. I generally have my camera positioned for on the highway observation, but a quick climb up the ladder and I can reposition it for back-up viewing. Best of both uses.
1940 Chevy Special Deluxe
1946 Aeronca 7AC Champion
rvflyer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 06:39 PM   #46

Noted earlier, the longer the trailer the easier it is to back up. I learned backing a 14' ski boat and my 28' TT is comparatively a piece of cake.
I've recommended to other newbies that they rent a U-Haul trailer that they can see over the top of and back that around a parking lot for awhile, then take out their longer, boxier TT and apply what they learned using the shorter, lower one. The longer trailer reacts to the TV steering changes the same as the shorter one did, except that the response is a lot slower. Seems to work.
Old 02-22-2022, 06:43 PM   #47

I drove tractor trailers for 30 years and taught backing for half those years. Backing a camper is harder than backing a 53’ dry van trailer. The shorter the trailer, the faster it turns. The secret is learning to back straight. Then realize that sometimes you can “set up” a straight back and sometimes you can’t. But If you can’t straight back, you cannot do a sight side or blind side back.

It all is in the setup. Practice somewhere with lots of room and lots of cones. You set up to learn straight backing by pulling around so the back of your trailer is pointing exactly at the hole you want to pull into, and your tow vehicle and trailer are perfectly straight. If not, set up again. Fixing a bad setup is some thing only an experienced backer can fix efficiently.

The just watch your mirrors. As soon as the the trailer is starting to fill up your right mirror, turn right 1/4 wheel turn. No more than 1/4. As soon as you start turning chock to chock you are drowning.

As soon as the the trailer is starting to fill up your left mirror, turn left 1/4 wheel turn. No more than 1/4 turn. As soon as you start turning chock to chock you are drowning.

Don’t stop unless you have lost control. Then set up again. Turning and stopping and repeating is something other than backing.

If you start going chock to chock, stop and setup again.

When you can back straight you will have enough experience to know how to do sight side or blind side backing. You will get it. These are instructions for practicing.

As far as a camera, you can always tell when you hit something. You don’t need a camera for that.
Rbalsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 09:11 AM   #48

We purchased a set of these collapsible traffic cones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GVH8YYX. My husband puts two at the back of the site and two at the front, just a foot or so wider than where he wants the trailer. He says this made a big difference for him, and now he can rely on his mirrors and the cones to back up. I am there on my cell phone for help, but he's mostly relying on being able to see the bright cones as a guide. They are also handy to post around the trailer when we pull up to our house to unload before taking the trailer to storage, as we live on a busy street.
ComfyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:32 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelly66 View Post
Iím hoping to get some general input on whether experienced RVerís find the backup cameras truly helpful. Iím new to RVís having bought a 26-foot Palomino Solaire about 6 months ago. I am struggling - really, really badly - with backing this thing up.

I share your pain completely. Got all anxious just reading the post and all the replies.
The last 30' trailer I owned in 2014, I could never get the hang of maneuvering in reverse, so traded it in on a 30' class C with a backup camera. In that rig, the camera was very useful, and backing up was a breeze.
Fast forward to 2022, I traded it in on a 5th wheel thinking it would be easier, but nope! I am determined to figure it out this time.
Practice, practice, practice, ha! I have no "empty" parking lot large enough to test it out, so playing in the driveway which is not much practice at all, but if I can manage to get it in and out of my curving driveway, that will be a good 1st step.
Good luck learning this new skill.
Old 02-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael621 View Post

I share your pain completely. Got all anxious just reading the post and all the replies.
The last 30' trailer I owned in 2014, I could never get the hang of maneuvering in reverse, so traded it in on a 30' class C with a backup camera. In that rig, the camera was very useful, and backing up was a breeze.
Fast forward to 2022, I traded it in on a 5th wheel thinking it would be easier, but nope! I am determined to figure it out this time.
Practice, practice, practice, ha! I have no "empty" parking lot large enough to test it out, so playing in the driveway which is not much practice at all, but if I can manage to get it in and out of my curving driveway, that will be a good 1st step.
Good luck learning this new skill.
You really don't need a big parking lot although it helps. You really don't need to put your hand at the bottom of the wheel. What you are trying to do is build instinctive muscle memory so your eyes, seeing where the trailer is going in relation to where you want it to go, and your hands are communicating without having to THINK about which way to turn the wheel. If you simply go out on a not so busy street and back up trying to maintain the center of the street you will at first keep turning in the wrong direction and have to think about what you are doing. Within just a short period of time you will begin to make corrections to maintain the center line without even having to think about it. Once you master this you are ready to move on to bigger challenges but building that muscle memory is the key. You did it when you learned to drive - now you know which way to turn the wheel, where the brake and accelerator are and how hard to press them, mirrors, the list goes on and on. This is no different and just takes a little time. It's all about muscle memory and eye hand coordination. There are no short cut techniques - just practice.
Old 02-27-2022, 04:13 PM   #51

Will a backup camera really help me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
You really don't need a big parking lot although it helps. You really don't need to put your hand at the bottom of the wheel. What you are trying to do is build instinctive muscle memory so your eyes, seeing where the trailer is going in relation to where you want it to go, and your hands are communicating without having to THINK about which way to turn the wheel. If you simply go out on a not so busy street and back up trying to maintain the center of the street you will at first keep turning in the wrong direction and have to think about what you are doing. Within just a short period of time you will begin to make corrections to maintain the center line without even having to think about it. Once you master this you are ready to move on to bigger challenges but building that muscle memory is the key. You did it when you learned to drive - now you know which way to turn the wheel, where the brake and accelerator are and how hard to press them, mirrors, the list goes on and on. This is no different and just takes a little time. It's all about muscle memory and eye hand coordination. There are no short cut techniques - just practice.
The whole muscle memory thing makes sense. Sorta like when I went from sailing with a tiller to a steering wheel. It took me what seemed like forever to learn to turn the wheel in the direction I wanted to go instead of turning opposite of where I wanted to go. Itís all about muscle memory.
Good luck to everyone whoís struggling. I feel confident youíll get it.
Now if I can just figure out womenÖ
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:50 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
The whole muscle memory thing makes sense. Sorta like when I went from sailing with a tiller to a steering wheel. It took me what seemed like forever to learn to turn the wheel in the direction I wanted to go instead of turning opposite of where I wanted to go. Itís all about muscle memory.
Good luck to everyone whoís struggling. I feel confident youíll get it.
Now if I can just figure out womenÖ
Thank you, at least I donít have to worry bout ďthatĒ, lol.
michael621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:16 AM   #53

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I decided to invest in a backup camera (it can't hurt) and spend more time practicing backing-up in parking lots.
jkelly66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 03:36 PM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelly66 View Post
Thanks for all the great advice guys. I decided to invest in a backup camera (it can't hurt) and spend more time practicing backing-up in parking lots.
Just to clarify, you need a rear observation camera system. It will stay on all the time so it helps while traveling, not just backing up.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 04:25 PM   #55
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan Man View Post
I feel your pain!! I am very challenged when it comes to backing up. It is very very stressful. I have practiced and practiced. I get a little better but for whatever reason I am angle challenged. I do have a back up camera and it helps avoid hitting something directly behind me. My personal lifesaver is the Ford F-150 back up trailer assist. It helps me back up into any spot even the tricky narrow spots. My wife only gives simple instructions. Driver side. Passenger side. Or stop. I get out and look a lot. I also own a parkit 360 which is basically a motorized trailer dolly. ( I need it to back up into the spot where I store my trailer because of the space and angles) I have brought it along camping as an insurance policy. Thankfully I havenít needed it. Good luck. Buy the camera. Even if it helps a little it will be worth it.
I have a Can'tParkIt360. I bought it to put our pontoon in the carport since it's too long when combined with my 24' truck. I tried to move our 7500 pound travel trailer with no success.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera