Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #1

Winter Camping

Hey Yall:
We are going to do some winter camping and I have a question on the plumbing. We ordered our Roo with heated tanks which means the water and waste tanks are heated. In hind sight I thought this was a good idea, but what about the water lines inside the camper and underneath? I am not sure th heated tanks will do much here to keep the plumbing from freezing in the exposed areas.

Anybody have an opinion on this? Am I missing something in regards to keeping the pipes from freexzing while using the camper with water in the system? Thanks.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Smokyroo, i believe all the water lines are inside. only the low point drain outlets are outside.
i wouldn't worry as long as the inside is warm.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #3

I run 2 -12/14 gauge wires through a cracked window. Some run them in the crack of the slide out. This allows you to run 2 1500W heaters all the time without tripping any breakers. I just upgraded to a 5th wheeler and am told I don't need to do this anymore - but I am, ran them insode today! This stops you running through gas also. The tank heaters - I used them and also had them on the valves of my trade in ( MISS THEM NOW). I only guess they worked. I DID get a light but a boot felt cold on a valve and it took AWHILE to prove it wasn't working. I was told - if the light is on it's working. NOPE - had a short. What I also did was pour antifreeze into the tanks. Never had a problem and we tapped 19 in Mississippi a few times last JAN and FEB. For the inside lines - if you're warm, I find nothing is going to freeze - but I did open the doors to the bath, and sinks. I'm away from the trailer some 14 hours a day and the only time I had a problem was a power failure when I went home a few days. My heater didn't kick on when the power came back and that water filter canister froze. I knew the hard freeze was coming so disconnected the hose - and all was well - till no power. If you're going to be there, and temps are 19 or better ( and that's the coldest I've been stateside) inside heaters, antifreeze, tank pads should be fine. If you want running water, our camp site says for those freezing nights to let the water flow and leave your gray tank open. When I'm gone these nights I just can't risk a freeze and backed up water running everywhere - so I will disconnect the host. Bottled water is fine for a night or 2! Hope this helps. ed
semlohde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #4

Thanks. We are looking to be able to store water and use it. I am curious though about traveling from home to the campground in below freezing temps. If we put antifreeze in the unit and we are camping in a primitive area without running water then do we negate the purpose of the heater? Once we are there and use the heater and so forth this all makes sense to me. Since we do more national park and national forest style camping where there are no hook ups, we also bring along a portable Coleman catalytic heater. This saves on the lpg use and battery for the blower. Our old trailers we never had heated tanks so we just roughed with antifreeze in the system and never used the water or the toilet inside.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote