Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2017, 11:47 PM   #1

Winter camping / tank heating

We just signed a contract on a 2015 Palomino Sabre 34 TPOK. The first time we looked at it, I asked the dealer if it has tank heaters since we’re spending most of this winter living in it in St Louis. He said that it did, but the second time I looked, I didn’t see a switch in the command center to turn them on. I did find a brochure online that said that there is a superior construction package that includes a heated, covered undercarriage (along with six sided aluminum exterior). The bottom does have a flat plasticy bottom. Does that mean that we have a heated undercarriage in lieu of heated tanks? If so, do we have to do anything except turn on the propane furnace to keep the tanks from freezing?

Thanks!
Jason
lacosssarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:19 AM   #2

I know nothing specific about the Palomino, but these so called winter packages, heated underbelly, heated basement, fully enclosed and heated tanks are just words. Nothing more nothing less.
Having said that, if the trailer has heated tanks the switch could easily be elsewhere and if the tanks are not heated heat pads can be retrofitted. In my experience it is not the tanks that freeze up first it is the blade valves, they need to be wrapped in heat tape and insulated more than the tanks themselves. The same goes for the fresh water line from the tank to the pump, heat taped and insulated.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #3

Run into this last month at deer camp. In northern Mo ( I live in St. Louis). The included under belly will not be enough.

I had the way set line between the tank and the pump freeze overnight with the heat running in 28 degree temps for one night.

On my coachman all they do is put the plastic sheet on the bottom and use foam to seal it. The the heat ducts in the floor run through the area. The idea is that the radiant heat
Coming off the ducts will he’at the underbelly. You have to have the heat running non stop for this. But it won’t be enough.

I plan on dropping the underbelly in the spring. It will get tank heaters on all 4 tanks (2 grey) heat strips on all piping, and valves I may even insulate the fresh water lines that run from the back to the front ( rear kitchen model). Also plan on putting a valve in he heating duct by the fresh water so I can dump hot air onto the fresh tank when I want. That’s as much as I can do. I plan on camping with snow on the ground because i don’t like people.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, heating, tank, winter