RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-19-2016, 09:22 PM   #1

Winter over night stay

Maybe a weird question, but thought I would ask because I don't know if there would be damage to my TT if I allowed this. Basically my daughter wants to have a sleep over. She is 11. They want to spend the night in the camper sitting outside in 10 degree weather in the driveway. It is winterized. Would it harm it if she and her friends stayed in it. My wife is brave enough to stay with them Would it cause any issues with it freezing and thawing? It does have a furnace and they would not use water obviously. We are new owners and never had a TT before. It is strange but as a kid I guess I would think its cool also to sleep in a camper in the winter and pretend your stranded in a blizzard away from home.

2017 FR Wildwood 201BHXL
2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch Ecoboost
zorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:29 PM   #2
WFD

It will cause heavy condensation for sure, your windows will sweat like crazy.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:29 PM   #3

Go for it. With the wife there, you are covered. Have them bring sleeping bags or extra blankets, there will be a chill. That is kid time big time...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:20 PM   #4

Sounds like memories waiting to be made! I relax in mine frequently during the winter. To save propane, I would turn on an electric space heater for several hours before to get the chill out of the beds and furniture.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:29 PM   #5

Heck no. Think as a hotel you can unplug or trip the breaker on. I would not worry about a night or weekend about condescension cause it can be handled easily.
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:55 AM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Sounds like fun! If you're going to run a space heater- be aware of how it's plugged into your house. That could be too much for a simple extension cord.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:30 AM   #7
Prime Member

Make it clear to them that there is no water and they must come inside to use the bathroom.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:01 AM   #8

Hi Zorky

I live in Central Ohio too (between Sunbury and Johnstown). Its cold. We are also new to having a travel trailer (V-Lite 30WIKSS) and have only towed it home about a month ago. Have to admit, the wife and I camped in it one cold night in the driveway.. Everything was fine
Zak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #9

We use our fifth wheel as an extra bedroom, especially during the winter. We use the toilet, but we flush with gallons of water that are brought from the house for that specific purpose.
Is the water and sewer stuff going to freeze? You betcha, but it will thaw out and there will only be 3-4 gallons in that big 60 gallon tank. There is lots of room for it to expand and contract, so it's no big deal.

We have extra bedding for the beds, a good quartz heater that cannot tip over, the furnace still works.

Our out-of-town family try to get in their dibs on staying there early, like October for the Christmas holiday.

Over the years, both daughters have had sleep-overs in there during the late winter/early spring and it has been a hoot (at least for the parent staying in the house!) Not a lot of sleeping occurred in the fifth wheel, but games abounded and many movies were watched with popcorn.

We do have a 30 amp plug that we installed just for the fifth wheel beside where it's parked.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:17 AM   #10

None whatsoever. Open your roof vents (assuming you have Maxxair) and keep the air moving. We have been winter camping for years with ZERO issues. It will be a blast.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
We use our fifth wheel as an extra bedroom, especially during the winter. We use the toilet, but we flush with gallons of water that are brought from the house for that specific purpose.
Is the water and sewer stuff going to freeze? You betcha, but it will thaw out and there will only be 3-4 gallons in that big 60 gallon tank. There is lots of room for it to expand and contract, so it's no big deal.

The real issue here is not the tank freezing as you say there is lots of room to expand. The problem is that there will be water in the black dump line up to the gate valve. This will freeze and there is no room for expansion and you will crack the pipe and or valve.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:22 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Go for it.
Let the kids have fun and make some memories along the way.
Create a little ventilation by cracking a window open slightly and a roof vent to keep the condensation down.
turn on the furnace or the electric fireplace (if equipped) and/or an electric heater.
No harm will come of the unit heating up and then cooling back down once done.
Your kids are going to give you a thumbs up for allowing them to have a fun evening with their friends!

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The real issue here is not the tank freezing as you say there is lots of room to expand. The problem is that there will be water in the black dump line up to the gate valve. This will freeze and there is no room for expansion and you will crack the pipe and or valve.
Maybe this will work. If you want to let them use the toilet, get a gallon or two of RV antifreeze and flush it down the toilet first. It will fill the black dump pipe and prevent it from freezing. Just a thought.

Also not nearly as much chance of damage from freezing in the dump pipe since it it not sealed on the back end. As the water freezes in the pipe it can push back into the tank and therefore not provide the pressure needed to crack the pipe. Don't ask me how I know.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:48 PM   #14

you should be fine. when done use something like damp rid to remove the excess moisture.
its not like you are going to be in it for days at a time.

and its not like you are in - 23 degree weather like us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161220_114130.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	126838  
Old 12-20-2016, 04:49 PM   #15

Lol. My toilet gets used no matter what I say. I just set a porta potty in the bath tub. Have fun!
brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brannon View Post
Lol. My toilet gets used no matter what I say. I just set a porta potty in the bath tub. Have fun!
mmm, beat your feet on the warm mississippi mud...
Old 12-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #17

dehumidifier

I use a noise machine when I sleep so I run a dehumidifier to get rid of the moisture and the extra noise doesn't bother me. I have a humidity gauge and have a 17 ft trailer so running the dehumidifier never has an issue with excess humidity.
jglynn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:15 PM   #18

It will be just fine. If your camper can't take a freeze / thaw cycle from using it, then it would fall apart going down the road.

Use it, its what its intended for.

Save your propane and use a couple 1500 watt space heater. You'll need to put each on its own circuit, as they use right around 12 amps, unless you have a 30 amp hookup at home. You could plug the trailer into one outlet, and then run an extension cord from the house from another outlet ON ANOTHER CIRCUIT NOT THE SAME CIRCUIT BREAKER to run another space heater - just snake it in through a window or something. For example, in my camper I can open an outside storage area and then access the area below one of my dinette seats, you could easily run an extension cord into the camper through there. Two space heaters should keep your trailer plenty toasty through the night.

To the folks commenting on condensation, yeah, it might get a bit of condensation. When she's done with her sleep over, open the vents up and let it dry out. No big deal.

They are kids, let them have fun. Rent them some movies and let them stay up all night in the camper.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
We've done the very thing with pouring water down the toilet after using it, plus a little anti-freeze to keep the drain pipe from freezing at the dump valve. Also used bottle water for brushing teeth and did the same with the gray water tank. Never had a problem with sub-freezing temps. Go for it and have some fun.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:29 PM   #20

zorky, You did say the wife will be with them. No worries...

Go ahead and let the kids do the camp out on the property. The bathroom is in the house so, the only thing is making sure they are all warm and snug.

You will never know what is a go no-go with the kids until they tell you.

Tags
winter