Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2017, 07:13 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyShope View Post
I live in a Grey Wolf 17KL Ice house, dual thermal pane windows and 2 1/2 inches of wall and 3 inches of floor insulation. Please as I have asked others do not assume because you own a Grey Wolf or no some person who does that all are made equal. Smart purchasing and understanding your unit is important. I have 6 windows and a garage fold down and a simple 12oV heater can cook you out of this unit with no window sweat etc. That includes my 8 fishing holes inside.
Tony, as of now, you are the only FRF member that owns an Ice House model or any of the FR Fish Cabin models.

So, your Grey Wolf is quite different than every other member that owns a Grey Wolf. The normal Grey Wolf has none of the cold weather features that yours does.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:32 AM   #22

I would not fill the FW tank completely full. If the water does freeze, you will want some room for expansion in there.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:58 AM   #23

thanks. still looking at alternatives, but the marecellus shale here and shell cracker plant have brought in many temp workers and they've driven rents way up...if you can find a place at all.

For example, 3 years ago we had 2 hotels in the entire county - now we have 10 with 2 more planned. Most are long stay/suite types. Think $1500-2000 a month.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #24

We just pull the trailer to Arazona then we don't have to winterize.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:44 AM   #25
Insert witty title here

In addition to the cold freezing the water lines. Another thing that worries me in winter is road salt. They use LOTS of the stuff up here in New England. Knowing what it does to cars, I don't want to think about what it would do to my campers under belly. Once the salt starts flying, the camper doesn't move until spring.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:51 AM   #26

If camper is not moved, don't think road salt would be a problem.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:23 AM   #27

Posts like this go "Off the Rails" very Fast! You have people from FLA and Canada giving input,Yes there are Winters and Cold in both areas,but light years away from the same "Temp. Conditions"! Then you have people that have "Ice Fishing Units" that are giving advice to people in a " Very Low R-factor" unit! Skirting for some is for Looks,while Skirting for others means "Lots of Insulation and Heat" under their unit! Youroo!!
Old 09-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #28

I have some old elec baseboard heaters from a home remodel several years ago..thinking maybe bagged hay, using the tanks so no hose to worry about, piping via 3 or 4" pvc for tank dump under the trailer (so conditioned space), and using 1 or 2 of the elec baseboard under teh trailer to keep temps up and that would also warm the floor some.
Plus plastic the windows and insulate the roof vents.

And I have some privacy fence laying about and looking into installing it as a wind break as well.

the gray water should be able to run 'free' and not freeze as i've lived in regular homes with nearly exposed sewer pipe and it never froze.

Still trying to find an alternative to wintering in the camper but so far no luck.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:42 AM   #29

Forgive me for mentioning this.... wouldn't it be better to buy a small used mobile home or one of those construction type trailers. Live in that till ?? Then sell it?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #30

zoning is goofy...you can have a tiny house (on wheels) or a camper but not a mobile home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Forgive me for mentioning this.... wouldn't it be better to buy a small used mobile home or one of those construction type trailers. Live in that till ?? Then sell it?

Old 09-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #31
Insert witty title here

Personally, I can't wrap my head around the idea of buying a trailer just for the purpose of parking it somewhere and never moving it. The best part of owning a camper is taking it to different places.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #32

well, separate on the way to a divorce and it's a great place to live - much better than the back seat of your car!

And MANY MANY people I know put a camper in a campground and leave it there - no tow vehicle needed and you get the same get away feeling/experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Personally, I can't wrap my head around the idea of buying a trailer just for the purpose of parking it somewhere and never moving it. The best part of owning a camper is taking it to different places.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
I have some old elec baseboard heaters from a home remodel several years ago..thinking maybe bagged hay, using the tanks so no hose to worry about, piping via 3 or 4" pvc for tank dump under the trailer (so conditioned space), and using 1 or 2 of the elec baseboard under teh trailer to keep temps up and that would also warm the floor some.
Bagged Hay and an electric heater sound like a recipe for a fire, extreme caution should be used there.

Celotex or other similar insulation board might be a good choice for skirting, you would need to figure out some sort of framework to hold it.

Working off the tanks sounds like a good idea otherwise you would need heat tape on the hose and spigot. Even so, if the spigot is not a frost proof you might want to put heat tape on it anyway.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Then you have people that have "Ice Fishing Units" that are giving advice to people in a " Very Low R-factor" Youroo!!
I've thought about it since your post and am calmly going to respond. I take exception to you thinking the guy with the Ice Hous (ME) has no idea how to survive or give good feedback.

I would ask you look up the number of deaths in the oil fields of ND during the boom for folks making mistakes thinking things like Hay bales were a good idea on units not built for such. The # of overworked propane units that lead to fire and death in the oil fields.

Every piece of advice I offered is sound and safer for the non thermal unit. You forget I am a retired cop and responded to those deaths.

You see if you are in a substandard unit you need to understand basic survival and all my point lead to numerous lives saved in the Bakken Oil Fields.

I could personally survive in a pup tent because I was a soldier and went through winter survival school. All I tried to do was offer sound advice. And every piece of advice I offered is valid from a tent to a poorly insulated unit. Hay bales will get you killed they attract rodents in the winter, rodents chew in to warmth and sever lines etc. I appreciate your ideas but you likely have no idea what it takes to survive in -10 to -40 weather which is common in norther PA and the areas I live and grew up in. So rather than discount I suggest you get your notebook as one day it could save your life.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:48 PM   #35

Apparently you have Me confused with someone who says Hay Bales are the way to Go! I stand by my statement that people come on here and give advice for Apples when the OP ask about Peaches! You should ponder a little longer in regards to My ability to survive in super Cold environment also,as it has Nothing to do in regards to the OP living in his unit in the Winter,NOT trying to "Survive"! Your Post is one of the "Off the Rails" I was referring to,as the OP has "No Ice House"! I was in the Service as well,and had a Job,same as you, whatever that counts for! Youroo!!
Old 09-04-2017, 06:50 PM   #36

I've traveled extensively in WY and MT during the depth of cold winters. Never ceased to amaze me the number of just plain old travel trailers that were set up with black poly sheeting wrapped around hay bales and huge propane tanks hooked up to the trailer propane supply. Even more amazing, the same trailers sat there year after year. Some were in trailer parks and some were out all by themselves in the middle of nowhere with a single power line running from the highway out to their trailer.

People often forget that old prairie homes often had no insulation other than what the owner improvised. Just the outer boards, an inside finish material (lathe and plaster) and MAYBE a bunch of sawdust to fill the void but usually not.

Took a lot of heat to keep those old homes warm and the only warm place was usually in bed. If those old timers could figure out how to stay alive with those primitive conditions, I'm sure people with modern equipment could do likewise. They may get a little chilly and have some frozen water lines but as long as they have fuel and/or electricity they can survive.

Would I want to boondock through the winter? Not on your life. If I have electricity though a lot of things are possible, even in a relatively "thin insulated" trailer.

FWIW, I have a friend who patented his homestead in Alaska by living 6 months through an Alaskan Winter in an un-insulated Quonset hut. The previous summer he'd cut down enough trees to provide plenty of wood for the stove.

Nice place too. Moose would come eat at his garden and he just waited until a bull would show up during hunting season to put his tag on.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #37

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyShope View Post
I've thought about it since your post and am calmly going to respond. I take exception to you thinking the guy with the Ice Hous (ME) has no idea how to survive or give good feedback.

I would ask you look up the number of deaths in the oil fields of ND during the boom for folks making mistakes thinking things like Hay bales were a good idea on units not built for such. The # of overworked propane units that lead to fire and death in the oil fields.

Every piece of advice I offered is sound and safer for the non thermal unit. You forget I am a retired cop and responded to those deaths.

You see if you are in a substandard unit you need to understand basic survival and all my point lead to numerous lives saved in the Bakken Oil Fields.

I could personally survive in a pup tent because I was a soldier and went through winter survival school. All I tried to do was offer sound advice. And every piece of advice I offered is valid from a tent to a poorly insulated unit. Hay bales will get you killed they attract rodents in the winter, rodents chew in to warmth and sewer lines etc. I appreciate your ideas but you likely have no idea what it takes to survive in -10 to -40 weather which is common in norther PA and the areas I live and grew up in. So rather than discount I suggest you get your notebook as one day it could save your life.
Off Topic. So many posts here. Don't people read prior to posting?

The OP has a issue, recent divorce and has a trailer to stay in close to work.

I see you have some baseboard heaters, they will work to overcome freeze under the trailer. I would look at blueboard or some type of rigid nsulation. Tape the joints with Tuck Tape or what is used for Vapour barrier. Leave access points to get underneath.

For all the people that are trained in snow survival I am surprised not a single post has mentioned the installation benefit of snow. Pile snow around the blue board! Part of Scout survival training was using snow as your insulation.

Do get several CO detectors, and the oil filled rad radiant heat is a good idea but make sure your furnace works well and the vents are free from obstructions.

Sounds like you have the water situation worked out as well!

Good luck and report back and how it all works.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #38

fear of the blueboard type insulation is will it stay put? and cost to a degree..not that I've counted up hay bales and bags yet to compare.

Maybe 2x4s on the ground and tack the blue board to it? It's pretty windy here - last night it was rocking the trailer back and forth. enough any taped on boards would have come off.

Hay may be a fire hazard..several have suggested putting the trailer IN the barn..however that brings issues - propane exhaust fumes (furnace, water heater) as well as open flame in the barn now as well.

As for snow..we don't have a constant ground cover of snow here over the winter..teh past 2 winters i've not even used my snow blower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Off Topic. So many posts here. Don't people read prior to posting?

The OP has a issue, recent divorce and has a trailer to stay in close to work.

I see you have some baseboard heaters, they will work to overcome freeze under the trailer. I would look at blueboard or some type of rigid nsulation. Tape the joints with Tuck Tape or what is used for Vapour barrier. Leave access points to get underneath.

For all the people that are trained in snow survival I am surprised not a single post has mentioned the installation benefit of snow. Pile snow around the blue board! Part of Scout survival training was using snow as your insulation.

Do get several CO detectors, and the oil filled rad radiant heat is a good idea but make sure your furnace works well and the vents are free from obstructions.

Sounds like you have the water situation worked out as well!

Good luck and report back and how it all works.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #39

How about get some 1x4's, sharpen them and drive them into the ground to attach the blue board to them. That would likely hold it pretty well.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #40

It's sitting on a concrete slab that was once the house's floorr and foundation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
How about get some 1x4's, sharpen them and drive them into the ground to attach the blue board to them. That would likely hold it pretty well.

Tags
trailer, winter