Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

Winterizing (Not about the water lines though)

On our last trip for the year and talking to the wife about what we’ll leave in and what we’ll bring in the house.

I’m of the opinion that pretty much anything that isn’t food can stay.

What say you?

Heather and Josh
2019 Ford F150
2019 Rockwood Roo 183
scubajosh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:21 PM   #2

We always remove bedding, towels, clothes, etc too. Great places for nest building.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #3

Leave no paper products
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajosh77 View Post
On our last trip for the year and talking to the wife about what we’ll leave in and what we’ll bring in the house.

What say you?
I'm still a newbie. But all food and anything liquid will be taken out. Camping season is pretty much over for me, but I'm using it as a man cave for just a bit longer because I'm not ready to accept seasons end yet. Can't afford to heat it all winter long, so me and the beer will be the last to leave
Old 11-10-2018, 06:26 PM   #5
NH Maple Maker

We take all food and anything that can freeze, like the Keurig, out. Bedding, linens and other camping gear stays in the camper.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
Leave no paper products

Why?

Heather and Josh
2019 Ford F150
2019 Rockwood Roo 183
Old 11-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Why?
We remove paper towels and napkins because - where we store them - mice have made entry in the past.

We don't remove paper plates nor toilet paper because mice can't get to them.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
We remove paper towels and napkins because - where we store them - mice have made entry in the past.

Same with us. If the paper products are stored in a cabinet high on a side wall, we don't remove but if under the sink or any cabinet with electrical, plumbing or heat vents where mice can follow they will and they will use it to build nests.

We also remove our single serve Keurig type coffeemaker as I'm not 100% sure every drop of water boils out during use.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post

That makes sense. I wasn’t sure if moisture was a concern

Heather and Josh
2019 Ford F150
2019 Rockwood Roo 183
Old 11-10-2018, 08:58 PM   #10

We take out all liquids and food. We haven’t had problems with anything but those stink bugs. I keep all liquids together in a box and store in our house basement. Most goes back on in spring. Sometimes it gets borrowed from. I only take off the used sheets and towels as an usual trips. I have a small laundry basket that always holds those clean waiting to go back on
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #11

Only things left in my TT when I quit for the season are the dishes, cookware, utensils. Things that don't freeze or pick up a stale smell/taste.

I kind of like the fresh start in the spring as I know that everything is dry, clean, and fresh smelling. All the things one just takes for granted (condiments/seasonings/paper goods) are the things I forgot I ran out of last season and overlooked in my walk through at the beginning of the new season.

By not leaving anything in but the basic household items I find I don't have a bad case of "Load Creep". When I unloaded my last trailer I found stuff I put in it when I had purchased it 22 years prior and do not recall ever using. One small example, a box the size of a case of beer full of flashlights. Every time I ran across a free one or saw one I thought might be useful I took it to the trailer.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Same with us. If the paper products are stored in a cabinet high on a side wall, we don't remove but if under the sink or any cabinet with electrical, plumbing or heat vents where mice can follow they will and they will use it to build nests.

We also remove our single serve Keurig type coffeemaker as I'm not 100% sure every drop of water boils out during use.
I live in Florida so I don’t winterize but I do own a home in NC and have had the mice use the TP to build nests. When there is no TP, they still build nests but now they use insulation, stuffing from furniture, etc.

Maybe leaving some sacrificial TP would be better.. don’t know, just a thought.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to dduncan Send a message via AIM to dduncan Send a message via Yahoo to dduncan
Quote:
Originally Posted by russhd1997 View Post
We take all food and anything that can freeze, like the Keurig, out. Bedding, linens and other camping gear stays in the camper.

Can a Keurig freeze?
dduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #14

Quote:

What say you?
In over 50 years of camping in an RV, we have only ever brought in food, liquids or anything that would freeze. The bed is even made so it is ready in the spring. RV is cleaned and scrubbed inside.

I was just told that one sure way to keep mice out is to cut up a couple bars of Irish Spring soap and place it in the camper. Luckily, for us, as we have never had rodents in our RV, but I do know of many other people who have. Not at least worried about beddng, towels, etc. left in the RV over winter.
Rmstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #15
USMC Retired

My TT is pretty well buttoned up during storage outside so I've only been concerned with removing all food (canned & boxed) as well as any other liquid than can freeze. I make sure to remove my canned cooking sprays as well. I sure don't want any surprises come spring.
VN Warrior1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:59 PM   #16
Old Engineer

We take out as much stuff as necessary to make room for all the MOUSE TRAPS!
FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Only things left in my TT when I quit for the season are the dishes, cookware, utensils. Things that don't freeze or pick up a stale smell/taste.

I kind of like the fresh start in the spring as I know that everything is dry, clean, and fresh smelling. All the things one just takes for granted (condiments/seasonings/paper goods) are the things I forgot I ran out of last season and overlooked in my walk through at the beginning of the new season.

By not leaving anything in but the basic household items I find I don't have a bad case of "Load Creep". When I unloaded my last trailer I found stuff I put in it when I had purchased it 22 years prior and do not recall ever using. One small example, a box the size of a case of beer full of flashlights. Every time I ran across a free one or saw one I thought might be useful I took it to the trailer.
X2 and because of that, we have never had mold or critters. An oz. of prevention.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduncan View Post
Can a Keurig freeze?
Yes, even if you remove the water reservoir, there is an interior tank where the water goes to be heated.

We forgot about that, and it froze and cracked the interior tank....total loss. Still can't figure how to drain that tank, so just take it in the house when freezing is expected (we camp off and on all winter).

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #19

For what it's worth, many products survive sub-zero temps either because the contents don't freeze easily or the containers can "stretch" to accommodate freezing.

I do not bring in:
  • liquid hand soap in pump bottles;
  • liquid dishwashing soap;
  • sunblock - liquid and aerosol;
  • bug repellent;
  • charcoal lighter fluid;
  • aerosol lubricants - e.g. WD 40;
  • pump spray cleaners such as Clorox Cleanup and a peroxide-based sanitizing cleaner from Lysol;
All of these items have survived Colorado winters...with temps as low as -15 degrees F. I'm not sure how they'd do in Minnesota or North Dakota...or Maine.

I agree that "nesting materials" that are attractive to rodents might get attacked if there is an infestation. I've had good luck with FreshCab rodent repellent...readily available and as far as I can tell neither attractive to pets or toxic to pets. Caution: My brother lives in NY, and he tells me this product is not available/banned there. I can't imagine why, but it may be hard to get in some locations.

Bringing in the bedding is kind of a given to launder it, but that leaves behind upholstered cushions, mattresses, curtains, shower curtains, and so on, so unless you plan to strip the unit bare of all fabrics and foam padding (all very attractive nesting materials), some sort of repellent is desirable, and investing some time in sealing off all possible entry points is crucial. Bear in mind that foam and aluminum are NOT barriers. Rodents' teeth are just shy of steel on the hardness scale. Aluminum (or copper) flashing and foam are useless. Barriers must be steel flashing, hardware cloth, or steel wool/stainless scrunge pads firmly jammed into crevices and then sealed with foam.

I can't speak to mold and mildew, because Colorado is very dry. So long as there are no leaks and things are closed up dry, humidity is so low here that it's not a problem. I used to live in NY, and humidity could be a problem almost any time of year. But I didn't have an RV in NY, so no experience.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #20
54 Years, 13 RV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduncan View Post
Can a Keurig freeze?
YES!!!!! Just brought mine in from the camper after a dozen nights below freezing to temporarily substitute for my crapped out house unit till I could replace it. It took 6 hours to unthaw and start working. Luckily it didn't break.

Tags
water, winter