Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2019, 07:27 PM   #1

Wireless backup camera question(s)

Hi all - when we bought our TT we passed on getting the backup camera but like many RV's the mount (and I assume power) is there from the factory. So after a couple close calls and one bump of a site marker I'm ready to get this option in place. It seems like a wireless version would be what I'd like and that is what the RV dealer was going to sell us. However, now that I'm looking at what to buy the wireless versions say they may not work well with a "metal skinned trailer". They reference an Airstream or a toy hauler with a steel ramp but, our Cruises Lite does have a metal skin - just thinner than the others that were mentioned.

So what is the experience of folks in the real world - will a wireless camera work OK on our TT?

Second part of this question session is - what system is the best value? I don't want to spend a fortune but I want a decent camera/display and would prefer one that I could also use to see the traffic behind me when driving. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:15 PM   #2

I have one on my mine,my sister has one on theirs,our best friends have one on theirs also,they
all are metal skinned have no problems at all.make sure you get one that is digital they have the best siginal.
They are all wireless. I order mine on Amazon just read the reviews and then decide.
Gdub2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:39 PM   #3

Get the Furrion Observation camera model, works great, installs in minutes.
Past:
2001 Starcraft Spaceliner PU
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:04 AM   #4

You are probably setup for a Furrion. There are still some of the observation models available, however, they are now offering a Model S. I'd do a search of Amazon, Walmart, and Furrion sites before buying anything.

Doesn't have the greatest picture, but more than good enough to see what's behind you.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:16 PM   #5

FOS48TA-BL is the Model Number Furion I have. It has a digital signal. I use it on my 34 foot Fifth Wheel and the signal is strong. Once in awhile it will blink, but that is rare, and it never totally looses signal. My trailer is not metal skinned, but it is long. I have the reciever mounted low by the console and it still works fine. I read tons of reviews before deciding on this unit and it payed off. Plan on spending more than you figure to get a good unit.
I must say I did lose signal once on it and it turned out my pigtail was coming unplugged from the truck and I lost everything to the trailer. My Furion saved me because it told me I had no power. Could have been ugly if I had to use the brakes.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:24 PM   #6

Furrion Observation Camera and not the Furrion Back-Up camera. Observation camera does both. It is Bluetooth which is better signal and no interference like old Wireless 2.4.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:56 PM   #7

Does anyone use one of these Furions on a 38 foot 5er?
#1BAMAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #8
StlClay

Look at Tadi Brothers for the best deal. I have one one trailer and one one truck. Price and service are great. I use as all the time rear view, not just backup. They have good website. http://tadibrothers.com

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:21 PM   #9

Observation works fine. I use it more on the road, occasionally for backup but nothing beats a spotter. Not real happy with the cigarette lighter type power plug on the moniter. I may rewire that somehow. Otherwise it's a helpful item to have.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
You are probably setup for a Furrion. There are still some of the observation models available, however, they are now offering a Model S. I'd do a search of Amazon, Walmart, and Furrion sites before buying anything.

Doesn't have the greatest picture, but more than good enough to see what's behind you.
Definitely shop around for other brands. I just wish I could remember off the top of my head the brand name I got- I think it was UConnect or something like that. Much cheaper than the Furrion and it comes with the bracket for installation where the Furrion would go. 7" screen with a pretty darn good picture, suction cup for mounting, and a few little extras. Took about 10 minutes to install. If you are interested, I can look up the brand name when I get home. Good luck to you!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:18 PM   #11

That's a great joke
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
Definitely shop around for other brands. I just wish I could remember off the top of my head the brand name I got- I think it was UConnect or something like that. Much cheaper than the Furrion and it comes with the bracket for installation where the Furrion would go. 7" screen with a pretty darn good picture, suction cup for mounting, and a few little extras. Took about 10 minutes to install. If you are interested, I can look up the brand name when I get home. Good luck to you!
The uconnect is that for a ram tow vehicle
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:30 PM   #13

Wireless backup camera question(s)

I bought a wireless camera/monitor setup from RVTXRX on Amazon. Mounted camera on back of our Rookwood mini lite on top of the Furrion mount. The unit worked flawless and the picture never flickered or distorted. Worked better than the voyager system I had on our previous trailer
Malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malojeer View Post
I bought a wireless camera/monitor setup from RVTXRX on Amazon. Mounted camera on back of our Rookwood mini lite on top of the Furrion mount. The unit worked flawless and the picture never flickered or distorted. Worked better than the voyager system I had on our previous trailer
Have the same one from RVTXRX signal is strong picture is crystal clear. It's a digital signal works flawlessly even at highway speeds. Very satisfied .
Gdub2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #15

Thanks all for your replies and recommendations! Sounds like the warning on "metal skinned" trailers may be more for an Airstream (definitely thicker skin that my Salem has).
Old 01-29-2019, 08:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
If you are interested, I can look up the brand name when I get home. Good luck to you!
I looked for Uconnect and came up dry. If you could look at what model you have that would be great - thanks for the help!
Old 01-29-2019, 09:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
I looked for Uconnect and came up dry. If you could look at what model you have that would be great - thanks for the help!
I went with the Furrion which I’m happy with. After purchasing a Garmin GPS I almost wish I had gone with the Garmin rear view, so as to have one less monitor in the truck.
Travel Safe, Blu Skies
Old 01-30-2019, 11:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronaut View Post
I went with the Furrion which I’m happy with. After purchasing a Garmin GPS I almost wish I had gone with the Garmin rear view, so as to have one less monitor in the truck.
Travel Safe, Blu Skies
My Garmin backup camera has a low resolution pic when viewed on my Garmin GPS screen. It's better than nothing when hooking up the trailer, but next time I'll see about something with a better picture.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malojeer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdub2 View Post
Have the same one from RVTXRX signal is strong picture is crystal clear. It's a digital signal works flawlessly even at highway speeds. Very satisfied .
I'm interested in this system, for my trailer.
How are your systems set up and can it work as a rear observation camera, in addition to a backup camera?
Is the transmitter in the bed of your truck?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
Yes, I will check when I get home and have the details for you tomorrow. Sorry I couldn't remember the right name; hope you didn't spend too much time looking...
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote