Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2022, 10:13 AM   #21

But coal and oil are renewable - just grow more plants and bury them under landfills.

Seriously though the "free thinkers" really need to provide realistic solutions. Electricity can't power anything when they continue to protest all forms of generation. No coal, oil, or gas, no pipelines, no nuclear, no windmills, no solar farms. They want power for all their blogging and traveling to protests, but nothing to provide it . Maybe all the naysayers can park their butts on stationary bikes and peddle power the national grid. Pay them all a livable wage but with built in fines for everytime they fart methane. Oh, oh, and we can stop the senseless slaughter of animals. When each peddler passes on they become carbon neutral by being turned into Soylent Green to feed their 1 per couple offspring.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:21 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Remember Three Mile Island?

That said I agree that Nuclear should be in the mix. As for waste, there are viable options. Unfortunately the political obstacles are numerous.
I didnít consider 3 Mile Island to be a Major accident since it was contained and did not injure anyone. I suppose some would consider it major, it just didn't fit the criteria I was using.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:26 AM   #23

no wind will never hit north texas. it sucks living in Amarillo tx. windy every day. we get no power from the w- mills here we see them out our home windows , power goes south and east to dallas and beyond.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:22 AM   #24

Being a retired high voltage lineman. I have seen a bit first hand.
Overhead wires can be upgraded and or added to easier than underground.
Underground has a usable lifespan, not even close to overhead.

The thing about nuke, no one really talks about, is the plant has a usable lifespan, and when thats up, its up, it dont get replaced, not rebuilt, it sits there forever. Today, the knowledge of what to do with it isnt there.
I was shocked to learn that the wind mill blades have a usable lifespan.
It was on TV. They have to be taken down/off, replaced. So new needs to be made, transported, old off new on, old transported, and ground up.

To be able to poor more money into maybe going Atomic or Hydrogen, would, in my simple thinking be the least damaging way.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:35 AM   #25

No good answer here. But I always was amazed when we lived in the Tidewater VA area many were concerned about the nuclear power plant near them.....

But they were never concerned about the 30 plus nuclear reactors in their back yards tied up to the piers. Several were decommissioned.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:03 PM   #26

Having been involved with nuclear waste I kind of think the waste is the issue.

No one wants the plutonium waste in their back yard. Most folks do not want that stuff driven thru their town.

We have about 30 waste sites waiting for something to happen. All production stopped and the hot stuff is there waiting for a new home in someone elseís back yard. Not mine. On the horizon are another 60 or so similar places that are still open.

Ignore it long enough and bad things happen. Plutonium is forever.

I was involved with stuff in barrels. Well, really, the dirt under the barrels. Plumbers rule #3.

I doubt there will be a new nuclear plant anytime soon. Isnít 20 years to build one an issue?
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:39 PM   #27

As far as i can tell nat gas / lpg and propane is not banned anywhere . proposed but nothing concrete and i doubt it ever will . virtually impossible to ban any of those gasses and still have power . Now things can be done to mitigate it's use . Make it mandatory for all new single family homes to be solar and provide most of there own power . Could be done and a feasible solution to cut power provided by plants . after all we all have RV's that can be operated off line same can be done for homes . Now to expect common sense things to come from Government or environmental groups just won't happen
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:08 PM   #28

New York City has banned any hookup to natural gas for anything less than multi-unit complexes for many years now. And a lot of other cities are following suit. The funny thing is I remember when natural gas was considered clean energy. New Jersey is also looking to stop Natural Gas sometime down the road.
Sammici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
As far as i can tell nat gas / lpg and propane is not banned anywhere . proposed but nothing concrete and i doubt it ever will . virtually impossible to ban any of those gasses and still have power . Now things can be done to mitigate it's use . Make it mandatory for all new single family homes to be solar and provide most of there own power . Could be done and a feasible solution to cut power provided by plants . after all we all have RV's that can be operated off line same can be done for homes . Now to expect common sense things to come from Government or environmental groups just won't happen
You say "Make it mandatory for all new single family homes to be solar and provide most of there own power ." So, everyone must build their house where the sun always shines and live like their in an RV.
"Now to expect common sense things"

Old 01-30-2022, 01:18 PM   #30

With the banning of natural gas cooking appliances

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Having been involved with nuclear waste I kind of think the waste is the issue.

No one wants the plutonium waste in their back yard. Most folks do not want that stuff driven thru their town.

We have about 30 waste sites waiting for something to happen. All production stopped and the hot stuff is there waiting for a new home in someone elseís back yard. Not mine. On the horizon are another 60 or so similar places that are still open.

Ignore it long enough and bad things happen. Plutonium is forever.

I was involved with stuff in barrels. Well, really, the dirt under the barrels. Plumbers rule #3.

I doubt there will be a new nuclear plant anytime soon. Isnít 20 years to build one an issue?

They have been building 2 additional reactors @ Alvin Vogtle power plant in Georgia. Been under construction since 2009 with a completion date of 2017. That completion date is now 2023 with cost over runs exceeding $13 Billion. This plant will become the largest nuclear facility in the US.

Living where we are in N Georgia, we get the majority of our power from the TVA. Dams are being removed in Washington and other areas out west where their power grid is limited to start with. Wind and solar cannot keep up with growth, where does it end?
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CRE View Post
You say "Make it mandatory for all new single family homes to be solar and provide most of there own power ." So, everyone must build their house where the sun always shines and live like their in an RV.
"Now to expect common sense things"

Wha'st France have to do with it ? many homes can provide most of their own power needs that is common sense .
Old 01-30-2022, 01:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammici View Post
New York City has banned any hookup to natural gas for anything less than multi-unit complexes for many years now. And a lot of other cities are following suit. The funny thing is I remember when natural gas was considered clean energy. New Jersey is also looking to stop Natural Gas sometime down the road.
. very limited to to where . NY city haha and a lot of other cites ? like LA. hahaha . this has been around awhile nothing new and won't go much further then the far left cites that have no common sense . The funny thing is people say this city or that city last i looked we are still self rule you don't like what happens in your city change it . We do still have a say in things but the vote must not count anymore .
Old 01-30-2022, 05:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
I didnít consider 3 Mile Island to be a Major accident since it was contained and did not injure anyone. I suppose some would consider it major, it just didn't fit the criteria I was using.

It was major for individuals that lived in the vicinity.
2011 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 06:59 PM   #34
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
It was major for individuals that lived in the vicinity.
I was thinking that. Not too much fun being downwind and close enough to 'count'. And where I am, most of the wind comes from west or NW. Where 3 Mile Island is.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Since burning propane doesn't produce methane like natural gas does, a ban on propane appliances wouldn't make much sense.

They seem to be concerned about the level of methane in houses from natural gas stoves, but I'm not sure I buy that.
Methane in houses is a big problem on burrito night.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:59 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
Methane in houses is a big problem on burrito night.
Hold the frijoles!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
From The New York Times...
In 2019, Berkeley became the first city to ban gas hookups in most new homes and buildings, citing climate change. Since then, at least 50 California cities, including San Francisco and Sacramento, have adopted similar rules, often over the objections of local gas utilities.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:25 PM   #38

A little bit from Washington State

We have a governor that thinks destroying our economy is the right thing to do.

https://www.chronline.com/stories/co...gas-ban,273026

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 01:28 AM   #39
Site Team

So if cities and states continue to ban using natural gas, then the demand for electricity will jump up. So where will the source of all the electricity to heat structures come from, when the supposed increase in electric vehicles will add a significant additional burden to the Electrical Grid?
I guess we'll be fine when those perpetual motion machines come online.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:33 AM   #40
Canadian Member

Over the past century Engineers have time and again made what seemed impossible a reality. This issue is no different. Governments set policy and Engineers and the capital markets have to make it happen. Have faith. This shift presents a great opportunity for smart investors. Along with all the policies pushing industry to change, governments are also providing subsidies to direct technology development. It doesn’t have to be perfect as long as the ship is moving in the right direction.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas