Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 09:50 PM   #1

Women camping

My husband and I retired in 2011. We are both working part-time but have our summers free. I'm wanting to take our travel trailer and see the states. He's wanting to wait until we no longer work and are "fully retired" how many women go camping on your own? I'm not sure I could hook up the travel trailer by myself. I'd like to hear some experiences please.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Vpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:06 PM   #2

I'm not a woman, but I've met a fair amount of fellow travelers of the female persuasion out seeing the sights 'solo'. I wouldn't let the fear of hooking up hold you back. There are very inexpensive wireless backup cameras and all sorts of dohickeys that make hooking up on your own quite effortless. (Even for a guy ;-))
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:24 PM   #3

Thank you for your response

Vpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:19 PM   #4

We recently bought a class c motor home after 30 some years of pulling 5th wheels (my husband did the towing). I drove the MH 4000 mi by myself and camped for a month last Oct.on a trip to Id, Mt, Wy, and Nv while my husband stayed home to take care of the ranch. Driving a MH is easier than towing and hooking up at cgs is easy, too! It was a lot of fun. Get those flag thingies for your hitch and practice -then go! You'll love it!
Yorkranchgalnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:27 PM   #5

There's a group called Sisters on the Fly. Check and see if they have a chapter in your immediate area. I met some of these ladies at a Cabela's event one time and they were a hoot. Had some great scrapbooks to share and I bet they would be very willing and able to help out a newbie camper.
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:49 PM   #6

I do it! We have a 25 foot travel trailer and do it all by myself except for backing in, there is always someone at the campsite that can help me back in. Sometime my husband can't get away because of work, so the girls and I go
It is scary at the beginning, now I find it very easy.

I don't get homesick. I get camp sick. Let's go!
Guylene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:09 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpierce View Post
My husband and I retired in 2011. We are both working part-time but have our summers free. I'm wanting to take our travel trailer and see the states. He's wanting to wait until we no longer work and are "fully retired" how many women go camping on your own? I'm not sure I could hook up the travel trailer by myself. I'd like to hear some experiences please.

x2 on the backup camera suggestion.

I am a solo female RVer. In the beginning I had trouble with hitching up but with practice comes experience and it's the same with backing up. It took some time & effort but now I am independent which has opened up another world.

If you know how to set up & break camp why not take a couple of practice trips by yourself close to home. Other campers are usually willing to assist and your hubby would only be a phone call away if need be.

PS
In the beginning as a solo RVer I did run into some challenges with backing into a site but other RVers would willing to help. At Calico Ghost Town I had to back into a narrow site while missing a big bounder & fire pit on one side, missing the power pedestal & neighbor's picnic table on the other side plus be aware of the incline behind the TT all while looking out for the handing tree branches above. Oh, I forgot to mention there were a couple dozens cub scouts walking around the site while I was trying to back up. I wasn't feeling well to start with so welcome the offer of one of the cub scouts leaders backing my TT for me.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:19 AM   #8

I am in a women's camp group called "Sisters On The Fly" (aka: SOTF) It's a great group of fun loving women of all ages (I am mid 50's and called the youngster). They have a few rules: no children, no Misters, no pets.

My spouse encouraged me to join since I am still working and desire get aways more than him. SOTF has a membership of over 5,000. When you join, you will then be able to join the regional Meet Up group and sign up on trips with them (you'll only pay camp ground fee plus a nominal fee for the trip $5-$20, depending on what extra activities the host of the trip creates).

Many ladies think having a vintage trailer is a prerequisite to join but that is not true. They accept all campers - with rvs, tents, vintage and even if someone doesn't have a tent but wants to camp, many events have cabins to rent for those who don't have any equipment.

At the regional Meet Up trips, it is then up to the host to set the rules and many times pets can be brought along as well as on occasion a spouse can be invited (Mister invites are not very often)

Its great to get out and camp in safe company of like minded ladies. For us, it's a brief get away from responsibilities, children, husbands, etc to hang out with other women. It's like a big girl camp. I always laugh and feel great to listen to other women's stories and experiences.

Some women "click" and they make camping plans with each other apart of the SOTF.

I can't speak highly enough of the fun and friendship that any woman will find din this group. It's well worth the annual membership.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:13 AM   #9

There are three of us, ok 5 of us. My sister and I are married, my friend is not, we all have our own motorhomes and like to meet up for sewing weekends or just to get away, from the Misters and all the other stuff.

Like the others said go out for the weekend, with your Mister and you do all the set up, that way if you have any questions, he is right there to help, then take your RV out by yourself of have a girlfriend go with you. Sit back have a little adult beverage and all will be right with the world. Just

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #10
Always Learning

My wife has been learning to do all camp related activities... I think she might be planning on this exact idea.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #11

There are other groups of women RVers. Just do an Internet search. Sisters on the Fly are located in the west, so if you live more central or eastern, one of the other groups may have a chapter in your area. We are awaiting the arrival of our TT so I don't know if I will ever go by myself. Thirty foot long might be too much for me to handle by myself. Time will tell!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #12
Site Team

There are a lot of female solo campers, and they can surely offer advice and cautions but what really matters is your ability to take care of everything alone. Practice at home with husband hitching up, towing, taking down and operating systems will give you the confidence you need. Try a few short weekend trips with hubby and do everything yourself. I bet you can after a few dry runs. Best of luck.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #13

My wife surprised me when i got home from a guys trip to Oklahoma. I got camper unloaded and was getting ready to go dump holding tanks in a field, we live in country, and she asked if she could drive. She did a great job of turning our 39ft 5er. She even wanted to back it beside our garage, she was a little crooked. But it was good enough for me
nducker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:42 AM   #14

CampingGator, Sisters On The Fly is the largest women's camp group in the United States - it's not just a west coast group - it's a nationwide group.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #15

We have our trailer on a seaonal site so I pack up the dogs and away we go!
I love to go eary May and late Sept when rv park is quite and I am usually the only one in our area. Great time to rest relax and read!!
norma264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #16

My DW did all the towing before we met. She lived with her mother and they did local and long distance trips. She has towed a trailer form Ontario to Florida and from Ontario to BC (over 3000 miles one way). Just take your time and do not be afraid to ask for help. You must realize that most campers are ready to help another fellow camper in need. Now get out there and enjoy yourself.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #17

I guess it depends on the Mister, but if he is there, he will want to help or nonverbally show disapproval. To encourage you, though, I had me and my 6yo DD during setup Friday and, as I was backing up, a neighbor immediately walked over and guided me while backing up. I'm a guy, but we need help too sometimes. I'm still learning (only our third trip) and I have found folks willing to help and offer advice.
bakwoodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #18

Backing up is all about practice, practice, practice. Gender does not factor in.

I agree with above, there's always someone in camp to help, too.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:02 PM   #19
Summer2Go

So is there standard backing in lingo, or signals? My kids will try but I can't understand their signals.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
So is there standard backing in lingo, or signals? My kids will try but I can't understand their signals.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

As a boater, we use "port" or "starboard", or you can use passenger side/driver side rather than left or right (which gets confusing for obvious reasons), and if handy, cell phones or walkie-talkies. My $.02.
USAF Vet
bigoil7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping