Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #1

Would anybody know

Would anybody know about am 78 Ford F-250 camper special with a 460 16.5 inch wheels. ext cab 8 foot box with an auto trans. Would it pull a 30 ft 5th wheel weighing in at 8000 dry What would be the pros and cons,,any imput would be great
Thanks Kevin
TF-Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Would probably be fine for pulling that weight of 5th wheel. A 1978 though I'd be more worried about reliabilty. The costs you may have to incur to make it mechanically reliable may be better spent on a newer truck.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #3

It could certainly pull it, as far as loading? that is a real question in my book. even if you could safely load it and pull it the fuel economy will kill you. 5-6 MPG if you are lucky.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF-Kevin View Post
16.5 inch wheels.
Start calling around looking for tires to fit the 16.5 diameter rim. You can still find them, but almost everyone will have to order them in, and good luck if you need any in a hurry while traveling.......ie emergency situation.

You would be better off to find some 16 inch diameter wheels in a wrecking yard, to replace the almost obsolete 16.5's with.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #5

Not a '78, but I have a '95 cab and a half with 117000 miles and lots o rust. Paid $3500 a year ago and now it stands at $5000 (new tires, battery and rear fuel tank). I put about 1200 miles / year pulling 26' fifth wheel with jeep wrangler doubled behind.

She pulls fine, but I have to play the topography (hills). I keep her off expressways. It has AC and I had never used it. Last July I was returning home in 90 degree heat and decided to see what it did to gas mileage. The AC blasted great and did nothing to gas mileage.

WHAT IS YOUR GAS MILEAGE?

High 5's to low 7's. Empty I got 11 (tested it once when I had to run an errand with it). That's is $700-$800 annually for gas, but it is paid for. We budget for it, so the cash is there.

I was offered a 2002 Duramax by my father for a deal he would only offer his son. I had to decline. I could not afford to pay (half blue book) for truck plus potential injector replacement. NO, I was not going to buy and turn it to make $ off my father.

My truck is paid for and I fix the only problem it has by filling the fuel tanks.

If the engine is good, it'll do the job.
msula95 is offline   Reply With Quote