Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Would you buy your own RV park?
Yes 115 56.65%
No 88 43.35%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #61

If you want to ruin something you love doing then by all means by a campground. After 30 years at my job I retired and then I took a sport I love scuba diving and an started working in the industry. As a tech, an instructor and boat captain, now I don’t get to enjoy what I loved because then minute I’m on site I am barraged with issues. The same will happen as a campground owner, you will lose the freedom and enjoyment. Just my opinion it also my experience.
Columbus340RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #62

I was surprised at how many people with money are really stupid and arrogant.

I used to work on motorcycles at my house. Folks thought I should do the work for free. I told them they were paying me not to ride my motorcycle.

Open to the public? Nope. Perhaps to a limited group, possibly. Like VFW and American Legion member only.
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:16 PM   #63

Buy an RV Park? Sometimes I feel like I've bought one after paying for a week long stay

No chance of me buying one. I have enough trouble taking care of my own crap and have no interest in taking care of everyone else's.

This is one of those things that sounds good until you find yourself an owner. Unless you paid cash, the bank wants their money no matter how bad your season was. Just read of all the complaints here regarding sewer, water, electrical, bath house/restrooms, etc. and their damage or lack of maintenance. Most of those problems are created by customers who have no consideration for other people's property.

No Thanks!

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:32 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post
If you had the time and the required funds would you buy an RV Park ?

{snip}
Nope! But I’d be happy to be a paid consultant for a few hours of sage advice now and than...! 🤣
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:58 PM   #65

I'd like to do park and plug-ins along the interstates for one night travelers.
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:34 PM   #66

yes, with a 'drop in your payment' automated collection system... no onsite management needed!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:39 PM   #67
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
yes, with a 'drop in your payment' automated collection system... no onsite management needed!
Absolutely! And a solid online reservation system!

I can apply to a university without having to talk to somebody. I can book a vacation to another country without having to talk to somebody. I can literally buy a car without talking to somebody. Why do so many campgrounds require a phone call to make a reservation? [emoji848]
Flywithlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #68

My dad had a retail store for 60/years.

He referred to the requirement to eat dirt from 10% of the folks. Often.

My observation as his kid. Stressful when too busy. More stressful when your not. Paying the bills.

Becomes a family business working ridiculous hours for low pay. My dad worked on the business six days a week. On the seventh day he did the books.

Gave it to my brother who bankrupted a good business. Seldom do kids who in inherit make it. 10%. Do.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:46 AM   #69

Never but rv storage yes. Less hassles, less upkeep, maintenance and the income is a little more steady not dependent on the season.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffandheidi View Post
i’d buy a small one and turn it private - by invitation only
i’d live there year round and have all my family reunions there.

Some people go camping to get away from all their close family members

Old 06-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_allison510 View Post
A "mobile home" park and an Rv park are drastically different. Every park we have ever stayed in that had permanent or semi permanent sites was horrible. that is actually one of the first things I ask when looking for a park. I would love to have a small park in the mountains with some private fishing.

Check to see if this place is for sale:

https://springcreekcampground.com/

Beautiful campground on the river in Big Timber, MT with two trout ponds. One "Trophy Trout" and the other "Dinner Trout".

Dropped in by accident when passing through Montana and will definitely make it a point to stop for several days next time.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #72

Actually did purchase a small RV park located on a lake in Louisiana. It has fish cleaning station, pier, boat slips, 30 and 50amp service, water well, and septic system for long term stay. Past owner has a retired brother who was living for free with his TT on Lot 1, at the gate entrance; he still doesn't pay but keeps an eye on the place. Army vet and now one of the best friends I ever had.

Wife and I decided that having a quiet getaway for family and friends was more important to us than having it as a revenue stream. Went ahead and paid it off so I didn't have to look at a note each month and second-guess whether I should be making money off it. Have our 5er on it, and added a second TT or our kids. Left with a number of spots for friends and family. Owned it a year and still having to turn away callers who want to lease out spaces. Nice to know though that if we ever did need the money; it is in place.
Lake5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #73

Way too much work and responsibility for me. Perhaps if I were an absentee part owner of a well run profitable campground, but to be owner/operator? No sir. Retirement is the ultimate job, in my way of thinking.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:09 PM   #74

Hell NO! I camp to get away from EVERYONE!

99 F350 Dually 7.3L
Colorado Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #75

Heavens no. Camping is fun and relaxing and I think being on the other end would ruin it for me.

To draw a parallel. I’ve been a drummer all my life. Big band music is my favorite but I’ve played many styles over my lifetime. Something fun that is usually done for free, gas money, free eats, etc...playing professionally, like owning a campground, might sound glamorous but then it becomes a job. No thanks for me.
skacatz is offline   Reply With Quote