Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
IMO. The most important deterrent to crime is to be tried and punished to the full extent of the law and not sent to a private retreat for X months. I see/hear of crimes committed and only very short sentences served....then back at it.

In California they are paying inmates when they leave the prison system after serving maybe half their sentence to stay out of trouble. Unfortunately the democratic way of thinking is a huge slap in their faces as the crime rate has risen higher than ever and there are more crimes against police from convicted felons.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:01 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
I love the idea of all the dummy cameras and signs. If I were a thief, I wouldn't go NEAR that place!

Obviously, because you are honest.

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:15 AM   #43

RobertDS,
I have signs for an active alarm system on my house but recently put up a "Beware of Dog" sign on my gate. I have no dog. That was a tip I got from a local police officer. As for the other "fake" stuff, I do not want to appear as over protecting, making the criminal curiosity expand and wondering what it is that I have that is worth so much security.

Chris Allen,
One of the "many" reasons I left CA. Jerry Brownstain has ruined that state.

One of the best tips I can remember is, every year about this time a buddy of mine would go out in the yard and gather up all the dog crap, put it in a box and wrap it with attractive Christmas wrap and bows. He would then do his shopping at the mall with the box in plain view of in the back of his pick up truck. Every time he returned to his truck, the box was gone. Perfect !

RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #44
Citrus County, Fl.

[QUOTE=BTW, Florida has a worse crime rate than California.[/QUOTE]

That is because of all the transplants both here and California. I am a 3rd gen native of California and DW is a native Floridian. Growing up we never worried about anything camping because we knew campers never bothered what did not belong to them.

It does happen everywhere. A campground in Biloxi Mississippi, which is a very nice resort, has the same problem. It is in a sketchy neighborhood and they come in and steal bikes.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:17 PM   #45

You use your time to make money. Your money buys things. A thief takes things. But he/she isn't taking a "thing", they're actually taking your life. You have a finite amount of time on this Earth. If a thief takes something you had to work 2 days to pay for, that's 2 days of your LIFE that was stolen! I absolutely LOATHE thieves. First offense should involve busting rocks on a chain gang and escalate from there, IMHO.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #46
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
You use your time to make money. Your money buys things. A thief takes things. But he/she isn't taking a "thing", they're actually taking your life. You have a finite amount of time on this Earth. If a thief takes something you had to work 2 days to pay for, that's 2 days of your LIFE that was stolen! I absolutely LOATHE thieves. First offense should involve busting rocks on a chain gang and escalate from there, IMHO.
Or like the old days, and some other countries, you loose a hand..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:56 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
I am a 3rd gen native of California. Growing up we never worried about anything camping because we knew campers never bothered what did not belong to them.
Me too, 3rd gen Californian, been camping 50+ years and never had anything stolen while camping before, in and out of CA. That's why I figured people were being too paranoid, locking this and that, but I was just naive/dumb...

After finding wheel marks in the sand and talking with others at the park, I feel pretty confident it was not other campers but a thief(s) entering into the park after hours looking for stuff to steal. Maybe some druggies needing their fix, who knows. It looks like they grabbed the bikes and high tailed it out the gate. From what I have heard from people here, it has not been uncommon, some have complained to management but nothing has been done to add any security, even just a camera at the gate I am sure would help.

Oh well nothing I can do about it now, lesson learned the expensive way but it's one I won't forget...

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #48

Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
We live in nice neighborhood in Seattle. My bike was stolen *out of our garage* while we were home, the garage door was open because we were going in and out working on a project. Now I have a 10lb chain and lock (kryptonite?) locking up our 2 bikes and lawn mower. Inside the garage.
I left the car unlocked once and everything was taken, GPS, 15 y/o sunglasses and all.

And what makes me mad is people say "well, what do you expect? You left it unlocked." Like if you get raped, "what were you doing out at 2am in that outfit?" Not that I am comparing rape to bike theft, but it all somehow becomes MY fault.

I love the idea of all the dummy cameras and signs. If I were a thief, I wouldn't go NEAR that place!

Don't forget single, blinking, led light. Place it in a predominant window. Many cars, with wireless security, have these blinking lights. I like the hunting camera idea.
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:28 PM   #49

Time for everyone to register their bikes. Cost is free except for the sticker for the bike.

https://project529.com/garage

I travel with my high end road bike. Always locked up when not in use. Has the 529 tag on it.

Bike gets a lot of looks but so far, thankfully, no attempts to take it.
Schwartzworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:15 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdenman View Post
Don't forget single, blinking, led light. Place it in a predominant window. Many cars, with wireless security, have these blinking lights. I like the hunting camera idea.
I got one of those lights for $5 at Radio Shack.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzworld View Post
Time for everyone to register their bikes. Cost is free except for the sticker for the bike.

I travel with my high end road bike. Always locked up when not in use. Has the 529 tag on it.

Bike gets a lot of looks but so far, thankfully, no attempts to take it.
Not sure how that's going to help. A thief isn't going to care if it's registered or not. If someone steals my road or MTB, both of which cost over $4k, they can make money just selling the parts off them.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Not sure how that's going to help. A thief isn't going to care if it's registered or not. If someone steals my road or MTB, both of which cost over $4k, they can make money just selling the parts off them.
As soon as your bike is stolen you let the 529 community know and a alert goes out to all registered 529 members. Everyone is looking. Yes, a bike can be parted out but it's worth more in one piece.
Schwartzworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I got one of those lights for $5 at Radio Shack.

Do you mean Radio Shack dot com? I have only seen on brick and mortar location for quite some time now. The last one(s) I went into with specific purpose of buying electronic parts were in Freeland, WA and Colville, WA. The first said, “Oh, we are not a Radio Shack and we don’t sell parts only services. Like can I fix your computer?” The second in Colville said, “We keep the sign so we can get walk in business. We don’t stock much, I can show you what we have. She showed me a glass counter, in the corner was what appeared to be some left overs.” Four years ago, I walked into a true Radio Shack electronic part store in Gig Harbor, WA. My eyes glazed over...

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post
Do you mean Radio Shack dot com? I have only seen on brick and mortar location for quite some time now. The last one(s) I went into with specific purpose of buying electronic parts were in Freeland, WA and Colville, WA. The first said, “Oh, we are not a Radio Shack and we don’t sell parts only services. Like can I fix your computer?” The second in Colville said, “We keep the sign so we can get walk in business. We don’t stock much, I can show you what we have. She showed me a glass counter, in the corner was what appeared to be some left overs.” Four years ago, I walked into a true Radio Shack electronic part store in Gig Harbor, WA. My eyes glazed over...
Yeah, got it before the stores disappeared. Had two in our small town; now none.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #55

Quote:
As soon as your bike is stolen you let the 529 community know and a alert goes out to all registered 529 members. Everyone is looking. Yes, a bike can be parted out but it's worth more in one piece.

Huh, just looking at the web site, thanks for the info. Might help in recovering the bikes for sure. If the word got out to more people and they registered, this would be great.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:42 PM   #56

Kurtsont, they caught the Ft Wilderness thief??? Yay! I hadn’t heard this but I’ve heard several bikes have been stolen there in recent months. I follow the Disney Campers FB page which is a wealth of info on the happenings at the Fort.
CampTBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #57

As an LEO of 35 yers I can tell you there is no way to stop a thief if they want what you have. But the harder you make it to take the more likely they will,move on to someone else who’s stuff isn’t secured. A thief is lazy and doesn’t want to spend a lot of time stealing something. They want to grab it and be gone with it.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:42 AM   #58

Quote:
The point is, its not going to prevent your bike from getting stolen. The likelihood of getting it back is slim.

I am a pretty active biker...do centuries and a few triathlons and have never heard of this. None of my friends have either.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
The point is, its not going to prevent your bike from getting stolen. The likelihood of getting it back is slim.

I am a pretty active biker...do centuries and a few triathlons and have never heard of this. None of my friends have either.
I do not have a bike. I have not ridden one in 38 years. Our son got mine and his mother’s bikes years ago, now he builds his own from parts he gets at a bike shop. Some of the parts cost hundreds of dollars.

He has has a couple of his stolen.

My comment to him has been, “If you do not register them, you will never see it again.” His reply has always been about the same as this poster’s. I ask, isn’t it like the lottery, “Some lucky dog is going to win. You can’t win unless you play.”