Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2018, 10:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
Maybe the person delivering the camper was going in excess of the 65 mph rating. Did they check tire pressure before transport? Who knows. Not their unit.
Yeah, these tires get a bad reputation... but I'm genuinely curious how much of that is caused by overloading, under-inflation, or speed. Who knows.

One interesting thing though is that these tires are rated for 75mph now.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #22

Reading so much into this from this forums and during the research into buying my TT, I am just convince its going to happen. Just prepare to buy the better one when they go. However, many of these tires are not balance upon delivery from the factory or by the owners. So I will be balancing my TT tires this spring, hoping this will delay the china bombs and my dealer's mechanic stated on the side note to replace my tires every two and half years regardless of mileage.
Moosey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #23

It amazes me how everyone refers to the "China bombs." Whenever people buy an RV, why not address it before you take delivery. Not to mention most everything in most homes is made in China or some place similar. It's not about if it will happen but when. I've had tire issues and I just keep trying different things to minimize the possibility of it happening. Check tire pressure often, keep your tires clean, inspect regularly, don't overload and as the member stated on the previous post, get and keep your tires balanced. You wouldn't use a 1500 series pickup to tow a heavy 5th wheel. So please don't put all of the blame on the tires or where they're made. My 2 cents.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:18 PM   #24

Agree
Moosey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #25

Several people on this thread noticed the same thing that I observed. Hard to say what weather conditions the tire was him after it blue but the strands on the edge of the tire are rusty except where the wire goes inside the rubber, where it’s not rusty. Could’ve been in that condition inside the tire I guess. Additionally when we’re traveling, generally observed while pulling the fifth wheel, many occasions where people pass me with rigs that you know have ST tires on them which are generally speed rated at 65 mph maximum.. I try to pull at not more than 63 mph and I am passed by rigs constantly.
gebills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #26

It was not necessarily a catastrophic failure. Any tire can look like that if it's been run flat long enough.

It's the same with a failed wheel bearing. Damn, no wonder the bearing failed - all the grease ran out! But I have yet to see a failed bearing that was still properly packed.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebills View Post
Several people on this thread noticed the same thing that I observed. Hard to say what weather conditions the tire was him after it blue but the strands on the edge of the tire are rusty except where the wire goes inside the rubber, where it’s not rusty. Could’ve been in that condition inside the tire I guess. Additionally when we’re traveling, generally observed while pulling the fifth wheel, many occasions where people pass me with rigs that you know have ST tires on them which are generally speed rated at 65 mph maximum.. I try to pull at not more than 63 mph and I am passed by rigs constantly.
Steel will rust overnight in damp conditions. But the steel in the tire is usually treated so that it wont rust but worn off when it hits the road etc. The wire would not hit the road were it goes into the rubber. Easy to second guess form a picture. So...... Too many possibilities for us non experts to say without see the tire in person.

Never had a made in China tire fail yet so personally I will continue to buy and use them........... Tires are so often abused, overloaded and not properly inflated.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #28

lot of discussion here, i am the OP on this. speed could have been a factor it was hooked to a Duramax dually, don't think overloading was an issue as it was an new TT going to a dealer. Or it could be that the manufacturer's use the cheapest thing they can buy
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
Yeah, these tires get a bad reputation... but I'm genuinely curious how much of that is caused by overloading, under-inflation, or speed. Who knows.

One interesting thing though is that these tires are rated for 75mph now.
I'm in your camp. When the tire comes apart, all evidence is gone.

My new set of Carlisle's are rated for 81 mph. I still tow at 62 to 65 mph but it is nice to know that there is margin on a downhill on a long hot day.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #30

I'd wonder if the tire was properly inflated to start the trip. As someone said (a little bit disparagingly) earlier: Low pressure and high speed make for lots of sidewall flex that generates heat and causes damage. So called "China bombs" may explode more often than not because the operator didn't use the tire as designed, not from inherent defect.
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I will be Tireman....it looks like run low sidewall flex and breakdown.

Lol. See my blog Rvtiresafety.com or something like that.

Can't even begin to count the number of tires I've seen like this from the cheapest of cheap to the most expensive of expensive.

When a sidewall gets a "groove" worn in it like I see it means someone has driven for miles on a flat or under inflated tire. Yes, one could have checked the tire pressure before they started driving but did they check to see if the valve "core" was allowing a slow leak after checking. If you think some of these tires are cheap, you haven't seen how cheap the valve stems and cores are. Small tire dealers can buy them for ~$0.10 to $0.15 each so just think what the supplier of the tire/wheel combo pays when supplying the trailer manufacturer.

I was taught from the time I was a kid, pumping up my bicycle tires, to always check the valve stem for leakage after adding air or using a tire gauge. We just put some spit on our finger and wiped it across the open end of the stem. No bubble, no leak. Sometimes the core would stick a little when depressed to check pressure or add air. It's not a bad idea to check if the core is tight. I've seen some that are so loose you can give the tool 1/2 turn before snug. On that note you can also cause leakage by over-tightening. Tighten just enough to start compressing the rubber seal on the core but not so tight as to distort the core itself. If one is finding tire pressures low on a regular basis (checking before driving) it may not be a bad idea to have the tire/wheel leak checked at your friendly tire dealer. It's amazing what one can see by sinking a tire in a "Dunk Tank". From leaks at the bead, stem, or even that small nail nobody noticed.

Generally, when a tire fails due to lousy construction you'll feel or hear a vibration or "slap-slap-slap" from the separation before total failure. If you like to drive 10 mph over the speed limit all the time that leaves darn little time to respond to a developing tire failure than when driving at a more conservative speed.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #32

I had a blow out with my fiver when it was still new I'm pretty sure it was a road hazard because there was road construction going on and I was only going 45mph when it happened and the tire looked just like the one in the Picture. I didn't even know it had happened until a passing truck let me know. So far I have put on several thousand miles on the remaining tires and one new tire with no problems. I always check pressures before I leave and check them when we stop for breaks etc.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
My office in Greenville SC. has a dealer right next door, saw a brand new TT that had just been delivered hadn't even unhooked yet this is what i saw, must have happened on the drive from the factory, man the tires they put on these things suck
Attachment 160290

Excellent example of a "Run Low Sidewall Flex failure"

This is not an example of a "Chins Bomb" as any tire will fail if you don't keep air in it

It also doesn't make any difference what Load Range is. Tires must have air in them
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I will be Tireman....it looks like run low sidewall flex and breakdown.

Lol. See my blog Rvtiresafety.com or something like that.
The correct address is RV Tire Safety it's .Net not .Com

But yes it is a run low sidewall flex. Some of you are getting better and proper identification of way a tire failed.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 01-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Wonder how fast the delivery driver was pulling the trailer.

Speed doesn't matter if you don't have air in the tire.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
Wonder......was that steel belt rusty before/during manufacturing??
Travel safe
Nope bare steel can rust very quickly and even faster is outside.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I'm in your camp. When the tire comes apart, all evidence is gone.

My new set of Carlisle's are rated for 81 mph. I still tow at 62 to 65 mph but it is nice to know that there is margin on a downhill on a long hot day.
Nope, all evidence is not always "gone" sometimes you just need to know where to look and what to look for.
Here is a post on a destroyed Run Low Flex with the "autopsy" info to help you understand what I look for.

Tags
tire