Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2020, 07:41 PM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to drrodder
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonj View Post
Not being critical but funny experience. When we were kids mom would always say she had to take something out of the refrigerator to “unthaw” it for dinner. My brother the “scholar” would say you can’t unthaw something. If it is thawed already how can you unthaw it, freeze it again? Lol.
Yuppers, got that "unthaw" from mom too. At least the point got across. Lol
drrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #22

winter camping for years!!

I camped for years in the winter. A couple of things you can do to make it warmer and more comfortable.
1. Heated tape around your water hose with a pipe insulation over that and taped. (we didn't have this option because we shut down the heat every weekend.) we used potable water, washed dished in a bin and flushed windshield washer down the toilets.
2. Sewerage hose like many people said to go with a solid pipe instead of the flexible pipe as water will stay. You can also skip this and only run you line when you dump.
3. use skirting around the entire camper. we used cheap 1-2 inch insulation against the side of the camper. 4x8 sheets cut in half and staked against the camper.
4. a hut that sits on a pallet, three walls and a roof. foam pipe insulation on walls that touch the camper. roofing that will lap over the top. This helps when you open the door so all of your heat will not escape.
5. plastic window covering, the type that you tape around the edges and use a hair dryer to shrink. this will give you a better chance so you don't get those little shivers.
6. talk to your local propane dealer. They set us up and connected a 90 lb tank to the trailer and kept it full all year round. pay up front and at the end of the season, you only pay for the propane you use.
7. use electric blankets at night. you can kick down the furnace a little.

Good luck.. stay warm
Joeski3570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #23

Thank you

That is some great information thank you for taking the time.
Frog Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:27 PM   #24

Cold weather camping #thingsIdo

Hey there Frog Pond
Glad you got some good advice from all the members, I’ve been through your neck of the woods many, many times over the years, kids played ball in downtown PC in the old Quonset hut NG armory gym on a wet cold and rainy night, took three weeks to get over that one BUT as any parent automatically responds “the things we do for our kids” Anyway I set up my rig twice a year for a 2 month duration in the dead of winter in a “camp-for-work” situation. I set it up in Ten Mile, and Soddy Daisy, TN. Not sure how cold you are dealing with, but in these two spots I have dealt with Zero degrees, I do not have heated tanks nor a 4 season rig, here’s what I do:
Hard pipe drains, heat tape faucet (hose bib, city water supply), as well as dump valves. Wrap Low Point Drains (from the caps to the underbelly). Remove outside shower hose and shower head , then stuff all insulation I can get in there and still close the door. When the temps are 20 degrees and above I keep the Fresh tank and Grey tanks empty, dump black tank as needed, use space heater in bath room, I open cabinets where the heat can permeate the room. Note: I place the heater on a piece of fire retardant wood, it’s a ceramic with the tip over shut off, it has a thermostat, and it oscillates. I usually set it on 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
When the temp drops to Zero. I use the bath house for shower, shut off and drain the fresh water supply hose, I use gallon jugs of water to make coffee, flush toilet, etc... basically I dry camp.hope this helps if you’re ever camping at Monte Sano or Joe Wheeler give me a shout.
19Vibe22RB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter