Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #21

WELL SAID !!!! You really got me to thinking as well . My son just turned 10 and my daughter is about to be 3 and they are both baby's to me still but time is flying by so fast . We are about to embark on a 10 day boondocking camping trip and your post just reminded me how important these times really are . Thank you

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #22

Ryand & other posters:

My wife, 2 sons (6 & 4 years old) and I take delivery of our first TT this Friday.

This entire thread has completely reassured me of our decision to purchase our largest "toy" ever. With 7 nights over 3 short trips booked in the next 6 weeks, I cannot wait to make those memories you all have shared. Thank you.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #23

Great post! That's pretty much how I put it to my wife when we upgraded. Some of my fondest memories are of camping as a kid, sure there was plenty to we could spend the money on around the house, always will be, but our son is growing up so fast it was time to upgrade while he still likes being around us.
Bear fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:43 PM   #24

Powerful post! A must-read for just about everyone. Thank you.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #25

I'm 65 and still have great memories of my parents going out in Apache pop-ups. Later, my wife and kids went in another pop-up until now in a TT. Indeed, great memories made and more to come as empty-nesters. Thanks for starting this post.
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #26

Great post! Your sentiments are shared by many. My wife and I spent a week at Topsail last September, and like you, we had that queazy feeling when it was time to head home. Mainly because only the good Lord knows when the wind will blow us that way again. Here's to more great camping and stories such as yours!
philobeddoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #27

Awesome post. Really makes you think. I have 10 year old twins. We just got back from River Ranch RV Resort in Florida. Had a great time. It rained all day Sunday and we stayed in the camper and played games and cards. We found that our wardrobe has a leak and so does our front cap and the camper is only 8 months old. A little frustrating but it just adds to the memories. One day we will look back and laugh remembering me dumping the bucket that collected the water inside and getting frustrated. No matter how frustrating, camping is always fun and the memories are great. Time with family is precious. God bless.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear fans View Post
Great post! That's pretty much how I put it to my wife when we upgraded. Some of my fondest memories are of camping as a kid, sure there was plenty to we could spend the money on around the house, always will be, but our son is growing up so fast it was time to upgrade while he still likes being around us.
ALL OF MY BEST MEMORY'S AS A KID ARE OF CAMPING !!!

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
ALL OF MY BEST MEMORY'S AS A KID ARE OF CAMPING !!!

X2 - and I ALWAYS had that queasy feeling when it was time to go home!
MHManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #30

Great post. Been camping since I was about 7 or 8 in a canvas umbrella tent. When I married my wife (second) we started in 2 tents -one for her and I and one for the two boys. Moved to a pop-up and thought that was heaven. Went to Elkmont every summer until the oldest graduated from high school. Also to the north GA mountains. Took that popup to the Citrus bowl in 1990 with the kids to watch our Yellow Jackets beat Nebraska for the NC. Have moved on to a Hi-Lo and now on our 3rd fiver. Have used it to work from and to have fun in. Turned 69 this year and my wife and I are really enjoying it (spent all day last week waxing it). Wife and her parents camped in all 48 states and while we are not planning on that extensive of a time, we are getting our share. Now that the kids are grown and have kids of their own, guess what. Hey dad, when you coming up to PA with the fiver so me and the boys can meet up for a few days. Isn't it great. Best times ever, close up of bears, skunks (walked between my feet as I sat by the campfire at Elkmont one night), racoons, deer, beautiful waterfalls and all sorts of other stuff. You just can't beat being outdoors and enjoying nature with family.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #31

OP,
You hit a home run with this post!! There probably isn't anymore that needs repeating.
We had (4) generations with us camping this past weekend on Fathers Day,
81, all the way down to 2 years old. 3 generations with campers now and still,My dad,me,my son,and his son! Lot of Memories!!!

Awesome!!
Old 06-20-2017, 02:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
WELL SAID !!!! You really got me to thinking as well . My son just turned 10 and my daughter is about to be 3 and they are both baby's to me still but time is flying by so fast . We are about to embark on a 10 day boondocking camping trip and your post just reminded me how important these times really are . Thank you
Boondock?? Why are you punishing them? LOL(laugh out loud)
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #33

What a wonderful post! We always believed there was nothing better for our 2 girls, and their friends as well, than taking them camping. I remember so fondly the night the girls were throwing marshmallows to the black & white "kitty" that wondered up from the woods and under our TT. Sure glad they didn't scare it (lol), nor the time we had a 24' TT with 4 teenage girls (ours + 2) and the mounds of clothes those girls brought with them for a week at the beach. We have traveled near and far and I wouldn't take anything for all the memories (and all the s'mores) we made along the way. They grew up way too fast and now have families of their own.

Now that we're grandparents and retired, we traded in our TT for a motorhome and enjoy exploring this beautiful country we live in. And, one of the best parts of all is when our grandchildren are able to travel with us and we can share all of those wonderful outdoor experiences with them. They were with us when they first saw the ocean, when they caught their first fish (& kissed it) at the lake, and I can't begin to count the number of weinies roasted or s'mores made over an open campfire. And even though the oldest is 15 and the youngest is 4, neither of them can hardly wait until Gran Gran and Dah take them camping again.

Enjoy your kids, enjoy your grandkids, and enjoy them in the great outdoors - for that's a great part of what life's all about!
Old 06-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
We just wrapped up our longest trip to date....A 16 day trip
I liked all your comments and thank you for the pictures. If we had "post of the day", you would receive my vote.

When I was a child (54 years old now), my family took two week vacations all the time. Sometimes just to go up north and camp at a lake for two weeks. Nothing special planned. Fishing, swimming, pit toilets, campfires, bugs. No AC ever and we vacationed only when school was out. We always camped and often traveled but not always.

I was thinking how often my dad took two weeks vacation. I don't remember the last time that I took two weeks off. The people that I work with never seem to take two weeks off at one time either. Modern jobs and modern life tend to discourage taking long amounts of time off. Mostly long weekends for most and I don't work with anyone that goes camping. Vacations seem to be fly in, fly out, and staying in hotels. You are fortunate to have been able to spend this time with your children. These are the times that they will remember when they are 54 years old.

bruce...
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #35

Great post and memories. I don't camp as much as did in years past. But I have some great memories of places that we have stayed. Topsail was one of them. Nice campground.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #36

Thank you, ryand! I think that is the best post EVER! The whole RV life, summed up in four paragraphs. Thank you!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #37

Great post!! Take as many trips with your kids as you can ... some of my greatest childhood memories are of the trips my family took when I was a kid. Mom and Dad saved diligently for our vacations, and though we didn't camp, we didn't splurge on accommodations or meals. I think the things we saw and did on those trips are why I love traveling our beautiful country today! Great memories you are making with your family!
Old 06-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
Thank you, ryand! I think that is the best post EVER! The whole RV life, summed up in four paragraphs. Thank you!
It is a fabulous post, and it has also spawned a lot of other great posts, too. Very enjoyable.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #39

We started when our kids were from 3 yrs to 13 yrs (4 girls). Loved every trip and the girls still talk of the things we did. They are in their 50's now. We started again about 18 years ago. I'm 81. Wife is 80. We still enjoy every minute of camping, and once in a while have a grand kid with us. I'm about to hang it up, cause I know I can't do this forever, but the story above that started this whole conversation was wonderful. Don't get rid of the camper. Keep it going. You never tire of it.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #40

This is exactly why we bought our TT. We tried tent camping when our daughter was 2, it was not a fun experience for me, and I convinced my husband to look for a popup. We went to the local RV show and saw a small trailer perfect for us, a week later we went to the dealer and put our deposit down.

We don't get to go out nearly as much as we would like, usually a couple weekends and 1 week. With our daughter entering kindergarten this fall, I know time is going to fly by even faster now and before we know it she won't want to be around us. We want to make as many memories now while she is young and hope she will carry it on when she has kids of her own and we can bring grandkids.

2008 Dodge Durango retired
2015 Salem cruise lite 195bh retired
2021 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26dbh
daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote