Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #1

Yellowstone

We are planning a trip up to yellowstone next year in the mh. We were hoping to no be on a clock. So my question is for anyone that has been there. How hard is it to find a cg with just calling that day or the day before. We plan on making it a 3 week trip form Louisiana up there and back. We plan to just take it from day to day, just stopping where we want. Would this be a problem?

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #2

We went a couple years ago and were advised to make reservations a couple months in advance. We stayed at Grizzly and it was full. We also checked out the campgrounds in the park and they were also full. You will probably need to plan ahead.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #3

Depends on when you go. We were there during the last pof May/beginning of June this year (first week everything was open) and CG's were not full by any means. Everyone we spoke with said in another week or two they would be full. Weather in late May is a deterent though. We drove thru a major snowstorm on the way in (stayed at Colter Bay RV park, highly recomend) and had 4" of snow first night there. Even with the snow we had a wonderful time, just cold.
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #4

Thanks for he info. Not sure when we are going yet. I guess we will have to book a spot then and then try to be there on time. We only have a 24.5 foot Solera so we will have to unhook each day get around. Will this be a problem as far as getting around Yellowstone?

Old 08-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #5

Think about renting a car to get around with once we are there.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #6

We saw many motorhomes driving around the park daily when we were there. I would say that at least half to two thirds of the vehicles in Yellowstone daily were motor homes of all sizes. It is possible, it would just be much much easier if you have a car. The roads and many of the parking lots are tight for a motor home.
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #7

I have no personal experiance...but My sister has made reservations for July 4th week 2012 already a month ago in West Yellowstone.

Might not want to wait too long.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #8

Staying in the park you need to plan far in advance, I've heard several months, there are a couple of campgrounds in the park that are first come first serve, I stayed in one at Lewis Lake a couple years ago, but it is one of the last to open each year.

Outside of the park, there are several around, reservation time will probably vary as to the time you go. There are some places you can get into without reservations, but probably not Grizzly RV (West Yellowstone).

Also, someone mentioned Colter Bay, that is in the Gran Teton park, they do not accept reservations, but you need to be there at least by 3pm to get a place, if you get there around Noon, you are almost guarenteed a spot.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #9

we went in 2003 and stayed in cody. quiet a drive each day. there is a campground near the north entrance and near the west entrance that are just outside the gate.
can u do it in 3 weeks, absolutely. we left from NE La and made it in abt 3 days. first stop (3rd day) was rushmore for 3 days. then cody for 4 days. we did it in 2 weeks and weren't rushed.

if u get a small car, i would highly recommend taking US 212 thru bear tooth pass (to north east entrance). very scenic. not good for motorhome.

2nd trip we, made the stops we went by: Mitchel, SD to see the Corn Palace...nice; Wall, SD to visit the Wall drug store and get our free glass of ice water.

In S Dakota, there is Hot Springs S. of Custer (rushmore) dinasore dig. Custer St Park (same area) very nice.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #10

Just got back from three weeks in July.... Only made reservations in Tetons (Flagg Ranch was fantastic) and for each night in Yellowstone.... Almost all campgrounds were full... I wouldn't want to trust just finding a spot each night without a reservation.... We stayed at Grant Village CG, Madison CG, and Fishing Bridge CG... Made reservations 6 months in advance and removed all stress about where we would stay....

Unhooking to go sight seeing will be no problem.... We went in a 30' Lexington and pulled a 8' trailer.... We left trailer at each campsite...

Believe me, it's a wonderful family vacation.... We've been four times, each time from Texas and plan on going again...

This last trip did end up costing me though - we saw so many beautiful Class A 's that we came back, sold the Lexington and bought a Berkshire.... I already see another trip on the horizon...

Good luck and if I can help let me know...

(We're going to Alaska for the fourth time next summer)
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffkm View Post
Depends on when you go. We were there during the last pof May/beginning of June this year (first week everything was open) and CG's were not full by any means. Everyone we spoke with said in another week or two they would be full. Weather in late May is a deterent though. We drove thru a major snowstorm on the way in (stayed at Colter Bay RV park, highly recomend) and had 4" of snow first night there. Even with the snow we had a wonderful time, just cold.
We, too, are planning a Yellowstone trip for June 2012. We are planning to leave Ohio June 2nd and will spend 14-18 days on the trip.

I'm more concerned about weather than the reservations. I've read in several places that it doesn't get too busy until the 3rd and 4th weeks of June. Which makes sense as most kids don't get out of school until the 2nd week of June. I expect it will be cooler and there will be some snow. I just don't know what affect the cold weather will have on the trip and camper.
BackInAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #12

We were there mid-July early August and temp got down to 31 at night and 80's during day.... Can't use generators from 8pm - 8am. (quite time) so bring warm sleeping bags.... Most CG's in park don't have elec so be prepared for that as well... Best CG of entire trip was Flagg Ranch just outside South entrance... Really a nice spot....
Old 09-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #13

My plan it to spend a few days inside the park (dry camping) and a few days outside the park (hook-ups).

My family is doing a practice run this Thanksgiving by spending 5 nights in the Smokies (2 nights with hook-ups, 2-3 nights without [though gennies are usable during the day]). As the weather and the hook-ups are similar to that of Yellowstone in June.

Given we expect to travel nearly 4000 miles next summer, we are also trying to make the travel part of the vacation as well. So, we'll have plenty of shorter days with "one nighters" on the way out as well as the return trip.
BackInAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #14
Lottery Non-Winner

I'll be there 15 thru 22 July 2012. Reserved at Grizzly.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #15

We also plan to make it a traveling vacation. Hope to drive straight north of Louisiana. Then head west to see crazy horse and mount Rushmore before heading to yellowstone. Then drive to Jackson hole before heading home. Was hoping to get by with out reservations. We plan to to the trip in late august and early September. Want to go when the elk have there antlers. LOL

Old 09-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #16

Late August early Sept you shouldn't have a problem getting a camping site.... Jackson Hole is so commercialized that it's not as much fun as it was 10-15 yrs ago... We spent one day there just walking around.... Check out the zip line and the bobsled run.. Great fun...

Also go to Lamar Valley (north eastern part of Yellowstone) and see the huge herd (800+) of bison... Amazing sight... Lots of elk up there too...