Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2021, 02:05 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 13,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
I have had to put out way too many smoldering camp fires after people have left. I always carry two 5 gallon jugs of water when we leave our campsite to go for a drive.
I would hate to see our beautiful foothills on fire because of some braindead idiot.
This brings back a memory from when I was about 7 or 8.

Family camping with an old Teardrop Trailer in a nearby National Forest.

Campers next to us packed up one morning and left a smoldering fire in the fire ring behind them. They DID attempt to extinguish but unfortunately they didn't use water. Yup, they used Urine and apparently they hadn't been drinking enough. It smelled worse than anything I'd ever smelled in my young life.

They hadn't even bothered to spread the firewood out so the pile just kept smoldering until my Dad hauled a canvas bucket or two of water from the nearby river to smother it.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:14 PM   #82
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 13,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
I thought the park ranger did a great job. They are limited in how they can handle different situations, so fining the abuser was the best he could do. Most state parks close their gates at around 10 p.m. and there are not usually rangers around to keep peace overnight. Here in Arizona the "camp hosts" are mostly snowbirds so in the summer even they aren't available.

Also, Park Rangers don't make enough money to risk life or health to control possible aggressive situations. The highest paid state only averages $42K annually. That's why County Sheriffs are often called to handle situations. Every camper should make note of the phone number for their location and keep it handy.
The $42k annually is an average. In WA State some Park Rangers make upwards of $85k per year. Salaries go up with longevity and many Park Rangers have 20+ years on the job. Armed Park Rangers are among the higher paid.

Unfortunately thee are many excuses of late why State Employees, including Park Rangers, aren't doing the jobs they are paid to do. Hopefully the pool of excuses will be drained soon.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:39 PM   #83
Senior Member
 
Sharon455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern Arizona
Posts: 672
Thanks, Mike. That's why I stated average in my reply. My former brother-in-law retired after almost 30 years with the Parks Service. His California, Alaska, and Oregon salaries were quite high and they live very comfortably with his pension and accumulated IRA accounts.
__________________

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:52 PM   #84
Fully COVID-19 vaccinated
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: About 30 miles west of Beantown.
Posts: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Have you been to Cherry Springs State park in PA?

No I haven't.
__________________

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:56 PM   #85
Senior Member
 
GravelRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Have you been to Cherry Springs State park in PA?
I was just there late last year. I never realized they did anything with astronomy... Of course, it's not an interest of mine, so I wasn't looking for it.
__________________
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:39 PM   #86
Fully COVID-19 vaccinated
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: About 30 miles west of Beantown.
Posts: 3,798
I enjoy taking photographs through my telescope. All my equipment was acquired with photography in mind.
__________________

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:25 PM   #87
Senior Member
 
TowPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
I was just there late last year. I never realized they did anything with astronomy... Of course, it's not an interest of mine, so I wasn't looking for it.

Since your title is "gravelRider" and you were in that area, any chance you were riding the Trans PA Trail?
__________________
No RV currently
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:24 AM   #88
Senior Member
 
GravelRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Since your title is "gravelRider" and you were in that area, any chance you were riding the Trans PA Trail?
Good thought! And I have ridden bits of it, but alas, no. I was there with the family and camper. I don't live all that far away from there.
__________________
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:43 AM   #89
Senior Member
 
TowPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
Good thought! And I have ridden bits of it, but alas, no. I was there with the family and camper. I don't live all that far away from there.
Thanks. If you are riding the original 1000 mile Trans PA trail, I am the one who created it .
1000 miles of as much stone roads I could find through the most beautiful parts of PA. I did this 10 or 12 years ago, before this BRD craze caught on. Back than there was a nice route from a guy named Rob on the NJ side, and another person (forget the name) who ran a route below Michaux state forest, but for PA they took mostly major highway to connect to 2. so after I retired from years of building Enduro trails, I got this idea and the Trans PA Trail was the result. I think it took around 2 years to do it. I had a couple locals help with a day or 2 on the west side because they knew the country better than I did.
that BRD sort of parallels my N/S route, but not 100%
__________________
No RV currently
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #90
Senior Member
 
GravelRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Thanks. If you are riding the original 1000 mile Trans PA trail, I am the one who created it .
1000 miles of as much stone roads I could find through the most beautiful parts of PA. I did this 10 or 12 years ago, before this BRD craze caught on. Back than there was a nice route from a guy named Rob on the NJ side, and another person (forget the name) who ran a route below Michaux state forest, but for PA they took mostly major highway to connect to 2. so after I retired from years of building Enduro trails, I got this idea and the Trans PA Trail was the result. I think it took around 2 years to do it. I had a couple locals help with a day or 2 on the west side because they knew the country better than I did.
that BRD sort of parallels my N/S route, but not 100%
PM sent
__________________
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:01 PM   #91
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 211
Ah, memories of my youth and public campgrounds in the 60's.

A bloodcurdling scream of a woman at 7AM just after daylight... stark terror, panic in the sound.

I'm remembering everyone within hearing (probably up to a mile or so away) abruptly waking and eagerly jumping to the assistance of whoever was in trouble. In those days (and, really, still today) folks were eager to help those who needed it.

Gosh... it was the wife part of the family that was travelling with us! What could it possibly be? An attacker, a bear? She had slept in the open the night before so she could watch the stars until sleep and watch the sun rise without the obstruction of canvas in her way.

Turns out when she started waking up she felt a heavy weight on her chest. When she opened her eyes, inches from her face she saw the face of the camp owner's monkey.

Her scream scared the monkey so badly he raced to the top of a nearby tree and could not be coaxed down for hours.

Makes me smile. Thank you Dianna!
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:09 PM   #92
Trailer Park Supervisor
 
NJKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 6,961
Cool story. But
Quote:
In those days (and, really, still today) folks were eager to help those who needed it.
Kitty Genovese would disagree with you. This happened a year before I was born in 1964, but I never forgot the story when I studied it later in life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese
__________________
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro G19FD w/off road package
2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab 4x4 V8
Yes, I drink the water!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:23 PM   #93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 13,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Cool story. But Kitty Genovese would disagree with you. This happened a year before I was born in 1964, but I never forgot the story when I studied it later in life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese
The city that happened is far different than a campground. Was then, worse now.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:50 PM   #94
Trailer Park Supervisor
 
NJKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 6,961
Yes it was. Just remarking on the suckiness of people. Back then was not necessarily much better.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro G19FD w/off road package
2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab 4x4 V8
Yes, I drink the water!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:50 PM   #95
Senior Member
 
GravelRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
Ah, memories of my youth and public campgrounds in the 60's.

A bloodcurdling scream of a woman at 7AM just after daylight... stark terror, panic in the sound.

I'm remembering everyone within hearing (probably up to a mile or so away) abruptly waking and eagerly jumping to the assistance of whoever was in trouble. In those days (and, really, still today) folks were eager to help those who needed it.

Gosh... it was the wife part of the family that was travelling with us! What could it possibly be? An attacker, a bear? She had slept in the open the night before so she could watch the stars until sleep and watch the sun rise without the obstruction of canvas in her way.

Turns out when she started waking up she felt a heavy weight on her chest. When she opened her eyes, inches from her face she saw the face of the camp owner's monkey.

Her scream scared the monkey so badly he raced to the top of a nearby tree and could not be coaxed down for hours.

Makes me smile. Thank you Dianna!
Ha! Great story!
__________________
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:51 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Good for you!! For the last 18 months I have been keeping my wallet "stocked" with brand new $2 bills. I give them away all the time. The poor under paid person at the drive up window at Burger King, McDonalds etc all get a brand new $2 even if I'm only spending a buck on a senior drink. I also give another one to the next window where they hand you your order.
I tip waiters normally 25% or more and then I ask them if they have kids or any youngsters at home and I give them new $2s for each one.
It's a hoot and it always makes them smile and that makes me smile! In fact I'm heading to the bank today to get another pack. They called me yesterday to tell me my "order" is in.
You, kind sir, are a good person!!
__________________
Larry, Paula & Bailey the Adorable Red Toy Poodle
aspengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:04 PM   #97
Trailer Park Supervisor
 
NJKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 6,961
Are we going positive again? Arghhh, so hard for me!
__________________
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro G19FD w/off road package
2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab 4x4 V8
Yes, I drink the water!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:52 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
Homebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Are we going positive again? Arghhh, so hard for me!


LOL!🤣
__________________
XLR Thunderbolt 300X12HP
2014 Ram 3500 DRW
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:28 PM   #99
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Good for you!! For the last 18 months I have been keeping my wallet "stocked" with brand new $2 bills. I give them away all the time. The poor under paid person at the drive up window at Burger King, McDonalds etc all get a brand new $2 even if I'm only spending a buck on a senior drink. I also give another one to the next window where they hand you your order.
I tip waiters normally 25% or more and then I ask them if they have kids or any youngsters at home and I give them new $2s for each one.
It's a hoot and it always makes them smile and that makes me smile! In fact I'm heading to the bank today to get another pack. They called me yesterday to tell me my "order" is in.
Hey Kentucky Dan, just wanted to say a thank you for your generosity and kindness. I also wanted to say that I gave a $10.00 Starbucks card to a staffer at the Louiseville SE KOA we stayed at recently. I knew I'd meet someone who helped me and was kind in how they gave me the help and she and her other staffers certainly did that. BTW, I LOVED Louisville!!
Caymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:38 PM   #100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
Ah, memories of my youth and public campgrounds in the 60's.

A bloodcurdling scream of a woman at 7AM just after daylight... stark terror, panic in the sound.

I'm remembering everyone within hearing (probably up to a mile or so away) abruptly waking and eagerly jumping to the assistance of whoever was in trouble. In those days (and, really, still today) folks were eager to help those who needed it.

Gosh... it was the wife part of the family that was travelling with us! What could it possibly be? An attacker, a bear? She had slept in the open the night before so she could watch the stars until sleep and watch the sun rise without the obstruction of canvas in her way.

Turns out when she started waking up she felt a heavy weight on her chest. When she opened her eyes, inches from her face she saw the face of the camp owner's monkey.

Her scream scared the monkey so badly he raced to the top of a nearby tree and could not be coaxed down for hours.

Makes me smile. Thank you Dianna!
Reminds me of a time I was tent camping in a campground along the Blue Ridge Parkway 40+ years ago. While sleeping I was dreaming about my family's riverfront cottage, in a community with about 20 cottages and a community pier. A boater and I were the only ones on the pier when he collapsed. Trained as an EMT, I recognized cardiac arrest and was preparing to start CPR. In the hope someone on shore could hear me, I yelled "HELP!!!" Loud enough to wake myself up. No one came to rescue me from a bear, ax murderer, or ... monkey.
__________________
2021 Cherokee Wolf Pup 18RJBBL toy hauler
2021 Toyota Tundra
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camper

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.