Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2021, 09:17 AM   #61

I'm camping this week in the OBX, but never occurred to post a message to this thread I've been following for the last couple weeks. That was until a couple days ago when three families from NJ rolled in and took over three adjoining sites, across and down the road from us. The sites are all at the end of a loop that is next to one of the main roads in and out of the campground.

When they setup, no big deal, but after a couple hours, they started settling in and began blasting music. It was so loud that me and my GF could not sit outside our RV to talk without raising our voices. At one point, we were inside the RV, several sites away and their music still could be heard clearly in our RV. I honestly don't know why these people think everyone in the area near them wants to hear their music and not have any considerations for others around them. Eventually, someone called and thankfully turned them in to security and the noise subsided.

Next day, they're outside at their community canopy where all the cooking happens and again, loud music was a playin away without a worry. We were outside and had music playing relatively low, but couldn't even hear it over theirs and, bear in mind, they're several sites away from us. Security was dispatched again, by what I assume was another pissed off camper. They were warned again, and the music stopped.

The guys that were at that site were all very loud and obnoxious while speaking with other campers walking by and to the campground security staff that stopped by for a chat with them. Absolutely no consideration for anyone around them, but themselves. It was only about them and how much attention they can get from those nearby. Absolutely cannot stand idiots like this and think they need to seek the help of some mental health professionals for their problems.

We'll see how the rest of this week goes. But I have to say it's very sad what they're teaching kids that're with them this is normal, acceptable behavior....can't fix stupid!
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:30 AM   #62
Trailer Park Supervisor

As a fellow OBX'r and a NJ guy, I apologize for the boorish behavior you had to endure. We in NJ are not ALL like that. That is one of the problems with 'groups', they frequently will focus on their circle with no regard for others outside their circle. 2x in a 24 hour period is BS, hopefully security was firmer with 2nd warning. 3rd time should be 'kindly get the hell out'. Where you at on OBX? Hatteras Sands for me hopefully in Sep.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:33 AM   #63
Insert witty title here

I once had a camping neighbor go to bed with their fire still burning 10' away from my camper. The next night, they left all together and left their fire burning again. I had to hose it down myself.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:37 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I once had a camping neighbor go to bed with their fire still burning 10' away from my camper. The next night, they left all together and left their fire burning again. I had to hose it down myself.
I have had to put out way too many smoldering camp fires after people have left. I always carry two 5 gallon jugs of water when we leave our campsite to go for a drive.
I would hate to see our beautiful foothills on fire because of some braindead idiot.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:09 PM   #65

I've been in a few campgrounds where the sites are very close to each other. Usually I will go to my neighbors, if they are outside, and introduce myself. I also explain to them that we are in close quarters and if anything I am doing is bothering them, like lights on or maybe a low playing radio (I have the tiny little side speakers that sound like an old transistor radio anyway) to please come and tell me. I find it's always a good way to start a conversation.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:13 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
As a fellow OBX'r and a NJ guy, I apologize for the boorish behavior you had to endure. We in NJ are not ALL like that. That is one of the problems with 'groups', they frequently will focus on their circle with no regard for others outside their circle. 2x in a 24 hour period is BS, hopefully security was firmer with 2nd warning. 3rd time should be 'kindly get the hell out'. Where you at on OBX? Hatteras Sands for me hopefully in Sep.

No need to apologize for these buffoons, Kris!....I'll admit I was wondering if you were gonna see this and take some offense to the behavior of your fellow Jersians. Should've mentioned in my post it would've been much more pleasant to have you down here, instead of them. There're idiots around all of us every day, and well represented from everywhere in this country. Unfortunately, I seem to have a mysterious, incons-idiotic magnetic field around me, to which they all seem to be attracted and flock towards.

I agree if you don't get the hint two times in less than a week your loud music and ignorance to others around you is pissing people off, start packing up. So far, so good with the two warnings, but we still have four more days to go yet.

The only places I've stayed out here is Cape Hatteras KOA or Camp Hatteras. Many times I've wanted to check out some of the other smaller campgrounds around Rodanthe, Salvo, Waves, and lower Hatteras Island. Unfortunately, every time I've tried to book a trip in the past, there was no availability at all, even several months out, or they didn't have open sites with 50amp service.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:18 PM   #67
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I've been in a few campgrounds where the sites are very close to each other. Usually I will go to my neighbors, if they are outside, and introduce myself. I also explain to them that we are in close quarters and if anything I am doing is bothering them, like lights on or maybe a low playing radio (I have the tiny little side speakers that sound like an old transistor radio anyway) to please come and tell me. I find it's always a good way to start a conversation.

I travel with a decent size telescope and will usually start setting up just before sunset. I've had it for so long that I don't think twice about it but it really piques the interest of my neighbors, especially kids. I absolutely love sharing my love for astronomy with anyone who is interested and have a ball answering their questions or letting them take a peek.

Old 07-01-2021, 12:19 PM   #68

You guys have helped me realize its time to sell everything and give up camping. Dealer offered what I paid 18 months ago.

I really am doing this.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #69
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
You guys have helped me realize its time to sell everything and give up camping. Dealer offered what I paid 18 months ago.

I really am doing this.

Okie dokie. Enjoy your next adventure whatever that may be.

Old 07-01-2021, 12:28 PM   #70

Quote:

Yeah, that'd be a big problem for me too. I wouldn't of put up with that and would've had to say something to them. All it takes is one strong wind gust to blow burning ambers or coals on your camper. Common sense ain't so common these days tho.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:28 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post

I really am doing this.
Well....while it does seem to be getting worse, the unpleasant experiences are still only few and far between. The vast majority of my time camping is still great and probably 90% of people camping are the best people you would want to meet. I think the RV craze that happened earlier this year is going to last for about a year - through next season. Then I think a vast majority of those people who bought RVs because of COVID are going to realize it is really not for them (an RV can be a lot of work!) and there are going to be a lot of 1-3 year old RVs for sale.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:42 PM   #72

Quote:
I travel with a decent size telescope and will usually start setting up just before sunset. I've had it for so long that I don't think twice about it but it really piques the interest of my neighbors, especially kids. I absolutely love sharing my love for astronomy with anyone who is interested and have a ball answering their questions or letting them take a peek.
have you been to St George Island SPark? near Apalachicola, FL?

been there a couple of times in Feb and an astronomer would often give impromptu "star gazing" lessons... last I saw him there he was moving to AZ where the dark skies were even darker. he said..

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #73

Quote:
Well....while it does seem to be getting worse, the unpleasant experiences are still only few and far between. The vast majority of my time camping is still great and probably 90% of people camping are the best people you would want to meet. I think the RV craze that happened earlier this year is going to last for about a year - through next season. Then I think a vast majority of those people who bought RVs because of COVID are going to realize it is really not for them (an RV can be a lot of work!) and there are going to be a lot of 1-3 year old RVs for sale.

I agree and probably should've said that in my previous posts. It's like anything we do for recreation, if it's unpleasant half or most of the time, most of us wouldn't be here on this forum. Far more great, fun experiences that drown out the bad. On this trip, I spent quite a bit of time chatting with my neighbors and their families on both sides who were great to meet.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:50 PM   #74

Check out time 1:00. What was the Check in time?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:51 PM   #75
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
have you been to St George Island SPark? near Apalachicola, FL?

been there a couple of times in Feb and an astronomer would often give impromptu "star gazing" lessons... last I saw him there he was moving to AZ where the dark skies were even darker. he said..

Unfortunately no. I live up in Massachusetts where truly dark skies don't exist.

Old 07-01-2021, 12:56 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpocket View Post
People today know there are no consequences for their actions. When I read the original post the first the first thing I thought was a park ranger not doing his job. My experience in the Missouri state parks is most dont do their jobs. People running generators all night, dogs barking all day, etc. They are reluctant to confront anyone breaking the rules. Fine them, have their camper towed. Lock up their stuff and pay a steep fine to get it back. If you are a repeat offender, ban them from state parks.
I thought the park ranger did a great job. They are limited in how they can handle different situations, so fining the abuser was the best he could do. Most state parks close their gates at around 10 p.m. and there are not usually rangers around to keep peace overnight. Here in Arizona the "camp hosts" are mostly snowbirds so in the summer even they aren't available.

Also, Park Rangers don't make enough money to risk life or health to control possible aggressive situations. The highest paid state only averages $42K annually. That's why County Sheriffs are often called to handle situations. Every camper should make note of the phone number for their location and keep it handy.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:21 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpocket View Post
People today know there are no consequences for their actions. When I read the original post the first the first thing I thought was a park ranger not doing his job. My experience in the Missouri state parks is most dont do their jobs. People running generators all night, dogs barking all day, etc. They are reluctant to confront anyone breaking the rules. Fine them, have their camper towed. Lock up their stuff and pay a steep fine to get it back. If you are a repeat offender, ban them from state parks.

I have been camping in MO State Parks for 40 years. Seen all kinds of every situation. A lot of 'Campers'... really DO NOT Know how to 'Camp', and sort of 'wing it'.... Did you not have a 'first-second' trip to 'learn the ropes, or are you a GOD like figure of perfection from birth? Park Rangers are not baby sitters for YOU to make everyone else to follow every JOT and TITTLE of a written code. Codes, that do evolve and change from MO State Park to MO State Park. A time or two, I have seen 'Park Rangers' make up 'rules' 'on the fly'.... Never a good idea when a 'State Employee' is spouting off 'rules' (that are not 'rules'), when the person that said 'EMPLOYEE' is talking to, knows the 'Codes' better than he does and said 'EMPLOYEE' had better move along or he will have a new notation in his work history file along with a reprimand. Stop your wining and take some wine over and join your neighbors. Enjoy your neighbors as they are and subtly 'teach' our fellow campers respect and courtesy and if need be... how to PARTY.....

Blessings

Old 07-01-2021, 01:33 PM   #78

Quote:

Have you been to Cherry Springs State park in PA?
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:34 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Check out time 1:00. What was the Check in time?
Check in time is 4 pm. HOWEVER - before I get blasted about rules. When I have to move campsites in the middle of a stay, I always tell the person manning the booth at my first check in about the move I have to make. I also stop the park ranger(s) making their rounds and tell them also. They have always been understanding and told me as soon as the new spot is vacant, I am free to move spots and occupy the new spot. Also, I never expect the campground hosts to do anything to the new spot. If anything needs to be picked up or cleaned up, I do it myself because I went into the new spot early.

And Oregon State Parks have always had the attitude that if you show up early and your spot is vacant, come on in. I've never seen them turn anyone away for arriving before 4 pm. The campground hosts and rangers have always been extremely accommodating and don't expect any who has to move from one spot to another to actually leave the campground at 1 pm and not come back until 4 pm. But if your reservation expires on that day, they do expect you to be out of the expired spot at 1 pm so they can prepare it for the incoming person.
Old 07-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #80

Quote:
Check in time is 4 pm. HOWEVER - before I get blasted about rules. When I have to move campsites in the middle of a stay, I always tell the person manning the booth at my first check in about the move I have to make. I also stop the park ranger(s) making their rounds and tell them also. They have always been understanding and told me as soon as the new spot is vacant, I am free to move spots and occupy the new spot. Also, I never expect the campground hosts to do anything to the new spot. If anything needs to be picked up or cleaned up, I do it myself because I went into the new spot early.

And Oregon State Parks have always had the attitude that if you show up early and your spot is vacant, come on in. I've never seen them turn anyone away for arriving before 4 pm. The campground hosts and rangers have always been extremely accommodating and don't expect any who has to move from one spot to another to actually leave the campground at 1 pm and not come back until 4 pm. But if your reservation expires on that day, they do expect you to be out of the expired spot at 1 pm so they can prepare it for the incoming person.

I will say up front that the site that you were to move to, should have been cleared out of at 1:00. I will also say that the person that was in that site who thought that he could change his reservations (days/times), at his choosing, seemed to have his head up his own AXX. A very big NO NO of what he did, and he should have been 'hammered' for it, and he was to 'a degree'... But I know that you understand my drift of 'check in' times and everywhere that I have ever camped will let the next person 'reserved' come in earlier on the day for that reserved site (if cleared). I do commend the Park Range for talking things over with you and getting you another site asap. I am sure also, that if no other site was available, that the Park Ranger (not you) would have removed everything of the other persons and allowed you to 'check in' at the 'check in' time to avoid any legal issues. My hat is off to you and the Park Range for that and the other person needs some Counseling in etiquette and manners.

Tags
camper