Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 09:59 AM   #1

Yet another inconsiderate camper thread....

There are two things nearly extinct in America today: common sense and common courtesy. We were camping at a state park last weekend. I was in spot C16 Friday and Saturday night. A few weeks ago I added a second reservation for Sunday night, so on Sunday we had to move from C16 to A18.

1 PM checkout time comes and we roll on over to A18 and find it fully occupied, no attempt made at packing up. So I head over to the registration kiosk and a real park ranger just happens to be walking out. I explained we were trying to move from C16 to A18 and he said, "I just had a funny feeling this was going to be you, you're John H...., right?" He explained that the guy from A18 left earlier. On his way out he told them he was staying there, going to the lake, and whomever they had coming in for his spot would have to be moved to a different spot! The ranger said they tried to stop him and tell him he couldn't do that, but he just drove off.

I told the park ranger it didn't matter to me, I didn't really care which spot I had as long as there was one for me. We had a conversation about how bad things are getting now. So he gave me a list of empty spots and told me to pick one and they would move me to the spot. So, I actually got a space that was much better than A18, with real green grass and a nicely located shade tree. So it worked out better for me anyway.

Then the ranger stopped by and made sure everything was good with us and he told us he gave the guy in A18 a ticket for failure to leave and also made him move anyway. The guy wanted to stay three extra days not just one and A18 was reserved the two days after we would have left.

99% of the time I try to be the bright spot in someone's day. It's really sad how much of life the "all about me" generation is missing out by being selfish and pi$$ed off all the time. They miss the nice conversations with strangers, the joy of making someone else smile. I was in line at a coffee counter in an airport and there was a flight attendant behind me. I told her I wanted to buy her drink to say thank you for all that they did for us on flights and everything they had to put up with and it just totally made her day to be thanked for what she did rather than complained to all day long. It just makes life so much better.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:15 AM   #2

As my age increases it seems my tolerance for the clueless (probably a more polite term than I would prefer to use) decreases. At the same time, when I see people making kind gestures to others it makes me think that maybe things aren't so bad after all. My Mom is 85 and I talk with her about how things were back in the day and how they are now. Her perspective seems to be in line with what the LCDR said - things are going down hill. I'll keep doing my part to try to do good things but at the same time, I won't suffer fools lightly.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:38 AM   #3

Every generation thinks the generations below them are getting worse, and people fondly remember the good old days. There always have and always will be ********.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
Every generation thinks the generations below them are getting worse, and people fondly remember the good old days. There always have and always will be ********.
Fellow Gravel Rider, my thoughts exactly. I think my father, born in in 1911, said the same thing when I was a little kid.

That said, Navy LCDR, seems like the type of camper that makes a good camping experience for others. I enjoy cruising the campgrounds in the early morning, looking at the rigs, and if someone makes eye contact, giving a wave and saying hello. Many times this leads to discussions and even a get together.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:58 AM   #5
Defender of America

I like camping because "most" folks I encounter are the friendly and outgoing types. However, as I've posted in other threads, A-Holes come in all shapes, sizes and age groups. I'd like to think I'm not one of them (a-hole) but I'll bet that I'm not always considered a joy by everyone I meet.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:19 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
99% of the time I try to be the bright spot in someone's day.

Good for you!! For the last 18 months I have been keeping my wallet "stocked" with brand new $2 bills. I give them away all the time. The poor under paid person at the drive up window at Burger King, McDonalds etc all get a brand new $2 even if I'm only spending a buck on a senior drink. I also give another one to the next window where they hand you your order.
I tip waiters normally 25% or more and then I ask them if they have kids or any youngsters at home and I give them new $2s for each one.
It's a hoot and it always makes them smile and that makes me smile! In fact I'm heading to the bank today to get another pack. They called me yesterday to tell me my "order" is in.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Good for you!! For the last 18 months I have been keeping my wallet "stocked" with brand new $2 bills. I give them away all the time. The poor under paid person at the drive up window at Burger King, McDonalds etc all get a brand new $2 even if I'm only spending a buck on a senior drink. I also give another one to the next window where they hand you your order.
I tip waiters normally 25% or more and then I ask them if they have kids or any youngsters at home and I give them new $2s for each one.
It's a hoot and it always makes them smile and that makes me smile! In fact I'm heading to the bank today to get another pack. They called me yesterday to tell me my "order" is in.
And perpetuating the something for nothing attitude of today.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:11 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
That's a great idea! I carry a $2 bill that my MIL gave me 30 years ago.
You're an inspiration to me Dan. I think I'm going to start getting bundles and giving them away like you.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
There are two things nearly extinct in America today: common sense and common courtesy. We were camping at a state park last weekend. I was in spot C16 Friday and Saturday night. A few weeks ago I added a second reservation for Sunday night, so on Sunday we had to move from C16 to A18.

1 PM checkout time comes and we roll on over to A18 and find it fully occupied, no attempt made at packing up. So I head over to the registration kiosk and a real park ranger just happens to be walking out. I explained we were trying to move from C16 to A18 and he said, "I just had a funny feeling this was going to be you, you're John H...., right?" He explained that the guy from A18 left earlier. On his way out he told them he was staying there, going to the lake, and whomever they had coming in for his spot would have to be moved to a different spot! The ranger said they tried to stop him and tell him he couldn't do that, but he just drove off.

I told the park ranger it didn't matter to me, I didn't really care which spot I had as long as there was one for me. We had a conversation about how bad things are getting now. So he gave me a list of empty spots and told me to pick one and they would move me to the spot. So, I actually got a space that was much better than A18, with real green grass and a nicely located shade tree. So it worked out better for me anyway.

Then the ranger stopped by and made sure everything was good with us and he told us he gave the guy in A18 a ticket for failure to leave and also made him move anyway. The guy wanted to stay three extra days not just one and A18 was reserved the two days after we would have left.

99% of the time I try to be the bright spot in someone's day. It's really sad how much of life the "all about me" generation is missing out by being selfish and pi$$ed off all the time. They miss the nice conversations with strangers, the joy of making someone else smile. I was in line at a coffee counter in an airport and there was a flight attendant behind me. I told her I wanted to buy her drink to say thank you for all that they did for us on flights and everything they had to put up with and it just totally made her day to be thanked for what she did rather than complained to all day long. It just makes life so much better.

2021 Cherokee Greywolf 23MK
Equalizer 1,000lb WDH
Guspech750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Excuse me?
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Seriously? That's your takeaway from his post?!
Old 06-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
You're an inspiration to me Dan. I think I'm going to start getting bundles and giving them away like you.

Do it!! Some folks think $2 are rare but the fed actually prints new bills every few years. Once in a while my bank will actually have a pack of new but if they don't I just ask them to order me a pack and they typically call me in a couple days to tell me
they are in.
It's so much fun and always gets a smile in return.
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Old 06-23-2021, 12:38 PM   #13

In the day of the horse track at Arlington Park , the 2 dollar window was the bet.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:51 PM   #14
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I'll PM you my address and you can send a bunch of them my way. I'm entitled, and I love free stuff.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:56 PM   #15
Trailer Park Supervisor

Commander, I was stunned reading your post. The audacity! Like you, I try to be the bright spot, not the POS that thinks the world revolves around them. I have noted an increase in everyday people thinking rules and laws are just guidelines that they can cherry pick.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:42 PM   #16

I hope the OP is OK with it but I love how this forum turned a discussion about inconsiderate campers into stories about trying to be a bright spot in someone else's day.

This thread is a bright spot for me today. My Grandpa used to give us 2 dollar bills when we'd see him. He continued the tradition with my children. We still have many of them-they are priceless to us.

Thanks all!
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:12 PM   #17
The Driver

Nothing you can do but know that you have done the right and considerate thing. That gives me peace when I run into the "it's all me" crowd.

By the way, I read that that attitude is being taught in public schools.

Give the ranger the $2 bill.
PoppySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:46 PM   #18

Quote:
They called me yesterday to tell me my "order" is in.
How much do they charge for that?

Bruce
Old 06-23-2021, 02:51 PM   #19
Site Team

A pack of new $2s is 100 bills = $200.
My bank never charges any extra fee.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:46 PM   #20

Quote:
A pack of new $2s is 100 bills = $200.

My bank never charges any extra fee.
Do you peel off a $2 bill for the person that got them for you? LOL

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper