Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
So the guy going the speed limit is creating the safety hazard and NOT the ones speeding???
YES...now you are beginning to understand! Not saying it is right just saying it IS accurate!
Old 04-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #22

Old 04-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory rcing View Post
YES...now you are beginning to understand! Not saying it is right just saying it IS accurate!
That was actually supposed to be rhetorical. I thought the answer was so obvious it didn't need to be pointed out. Guess not, though. You seem to think the law would agree with you, but I don't think that's the case. I'm not saying I haven't gotten in and gone with the flow of traffic. But I'm not so naive that I'd think that it would be the fault of someone doing the speed limit (and nothing else "wrong") if I were to be in an accident. I guess I just don't adhere to the "Everybody's doing it" mentality of justifying my actions. But, we can agree to disagree. Happy camping! I'll try to stay out of the "fast lane" if at all possible and you try not to run over those idiots going the speed limit!
Old 04-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #24

Quote:
That was actually supposed to be rhetorical. I thought the answer was so obvious it didn't need to be pointed out.
Yes I know... and I thought my joking answer to your rhetorical question was so obvious it didn't need to be pointed out.

This is a subject that has a grey area concept that requires a certain 'common sense' to understand. For people that are 'black and white' by the book - it probably never will register.

Everyone please be aware and careful out there on our Public roadways.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #25

Welcome to Florida... We deal with this on a daily basis. And it is not just the RVer's it's everyone. People here will die in that left lane going slow before they will move over. And they feel it's their job to drive for everyone else. Yes as others have said, it's such a problem here that a couple of years ago we passed a law making it a ticketable offense to hold up the flow of traffic in either lane. So like it's said. LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET OUTTA THE WAY!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
Well the state of CT disagrees with you, we recently passed a law adding enforcement to the passing lane designation. In other words, doesn't matter how fast you are going if you aren't passing then get over or get a ticket.

Regardless of what you think about what other people do, you are creating a safety issue by causing traffic to pass you in the travel lanes as you occupy the passing lane(s). Leave the job of speed enforcement to the police. The funny thing is that lots of people have the attitude that what they are doing is right so they feel they should dictate what everyone else can do. ie, they are going 2 or 3 or 5 miles an hour over the limit and that is what is safe so they have the right to tie up the left lane because it is up to them to decide what you should be doing. You're right, maybe you can't fix stupid, but you CAN ticket their ass.

When they get their first ticket it usually fixes there stupid. My dad use to be a truck driver, I learned the rules of the roads along time ago, I am one of the few that will signal a trucker when it is ok to move over in front of me, or allow them in the lane.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #27

Several years ago I was in Chicago, I was doing close to 10 over and had old ladies and cops passing me, once the cops passed me I decided to go with the flow of traffic.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #28

Quote:
So the guy going the speed limit is creating the safety hazard and NOT the ones speeding??? Tell me again the point of posting a speed limit? What percentage of motorists is required to nullify a posted speed limit? Or is it quantitative? Maybe it's purely democratic and requires 51% since you said "more traveling above than obeying?" I'm just curious so that the next time I decide I can ignore a speed limit for the sake of "safety" I can "educate" the officer (should I be pulled over) by pointing out that the criteria for voiding the posted speed limit had been met. Clearly a slew of people running 80 encountering someone traveling 70 (in a 70mph zone) can create a potentially dangerous situation, especially when some of those wanting to run 80 start acting like idiots to get around. That we can agree on. But I contend that those exceeding the speed limit are SOLELY responsible for any danger, NOT the person obeying the speed limit. There clearly must be some inherent danger of running 80, otherwise the speed limit wouldn't be 70 (as an example). So they've ALREADY created a dangerous situation whether there is a slower driver or not.

This does remind me of a funny story: A friend of mine was once speeding, but so was the rest of the traffic. He got pulled over. He asked the officer why he picked him out when he was going the same speed as everyone else. This guy is an avid duck hunter and had a Ducks Unlimited sticker on his back glass, which the officer had clearly noticed. The officer simply responded "How do you decide which duck to shoot?" He got the point. And a ticket.

Just because someone is obeying the speed limit doesn't mean they can't be liable. Breaking the law by using the left lane as a travel lane is also creating a dangerous situation.

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
Old 04-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Yes I know... and I thought my joking answer to your rhetorical question was so obvious it didn't need to be pointed out.

This is a subject that has a grey area concept that requires a certain 'common sense' to understand. For people that are 'black and white' by the book - it probably never will register.

Everyone please be aware and careful out there on our Public roadways.
Looks like neither of us are very good at identifying each others "tone." Even the 9 supposedly most intelligent legal minds in the US (SCOTUS) often split 5-4. So I guess it's not too big of a deal if a couple of forum "know-it-alls" don't see eye to eye.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #30

In Colorado by law you have to travel in the right lane, left lane is only for passing. I commute 90 miles a day, several times a day I see someone in the left lane doin 65 in a 65, or under, no reason not to move over. Drives me nuts! Was in California with my camper a couple weeks ago. ANYONE pulling a trailer 55, otherwise it was 70. So I slowed down to 60, stayed in the right lane but people where passing me like crazy with trailers, even semis, who where supposed to do 55, so I sped up to 65-70, I felt like I was in the way! They had that law when I lived there 20 years ago, another one of the governments "great ideas" that cause more issues than they fix.
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
Old 04-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Add Michigan to the list of states that give tickets for "hogging" the left lane. Michigan State Police just began a campaign to enforce the law.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Old 04-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #32

Judging from the posts it doesn't look like a 5 to 4 vote. Jus sayin.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #33

I do a lot of driving on interstates on weekends. No I am not towing. I have passed a vehicle going slower than me and before it is safe to pull back over to right lane cars are passing me on the right side. Mind you they gave just passed the slower driver rifpght behind me. So who would be at fault if I have my turn signal on indicating I am trying to get back over
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Old 04-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
Just because someone is obeying the speed limit doesn't mean they can't be liable. Breaking the law by using the left lane as a travel lane is also creating a dangerous situation.
My bigger point was that TECHNICALLY, if no one was breaking the law by speeding you'd NEVER have the unsafe situation. The ONLY way it becomes unsafe to TRAVEL in the left lane AT THE SPEED LIMIT is for someone to be traveling ABOVE the speed limit in it(or multiple people). Still speeder's fault, IMHO. I REALLY don't think the intent of making the left lane a passing lane was to make a speeding lane. I do understand that it is possible to be ticketed for staying in the left lane while not passing if it is posted as a passing lane only. But I digress.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #35
Site Team

I think a lot of this confusion and failure to adhere to left lane usage is due to many people not referring to as what it is...which is a 'passing lane'. It's only supposed to be normally used for passing, and then you go back to the right hand 'driving' lane.

This may better explain it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_lane

And here is our LA RS 32:71 on driving in the passing lane, and for which subparts you would be cited for violating.

B.(1)(a) Upon all multilane highways, no vehicle shall be driven in the left-hand lane except when directed otherwise, preparing for a left turn at an intersection or private road or driveway, overtaking or passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, or when right-hand lanes are congested; however, no vehicle being driven in the left lane except when directed otherwise or preparing for a left turn at an intersection, private road, or driveway shall impede any other vehicle that is traveling in the same lane and behind that vehicle.

(b) Upon all multilane highways, no vehicle traveling in the left-hand lane shall be driven at a speed slower than any vehicle traveling to its right on the same roadway.

(c) Upon all multilane highways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the circumstances then existing, shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic except when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway, or passing or overtaking a vehicle proceeding in the same direction, if passing on the left side of it. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize driving any vehicle in the left lane so as to prohibit, impede, or block passage of an overtaking vehicle in such lane and in such event the vehicle in the left lane prohibiting, impeding, or blocking passage of an overtaking vehicle shall expeditiously merge into the right lane of traffic.

So if you don't want to be ticketed for LA RS 32:71.B.1.b, you need to be in the right hand driving lane to be the slowest one....and then others can use the passing lane to pass you.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Judging from the posts it doesn't look like a 5 to 4 vote. Jus sayin.
I don't think the forum members seem to be saying that the left lane is intended for people to exceed the speed limit, so I don't think you'd win that vote. And since I'm not advocating staying in the left lane when posted for passing only, there wouldn't even be a vote to take there. Jus sayin. I'd bet that if I drug every forum member to the stretch of Interstate I was on a few years back where at 50mph in the right lane you would actually think you were going to snap an axle at any moment it was so unbelievably torn up they'd be singing a different tune and cruising down the left lane.

Edit: For more clarification, you stated: " Sure drivers may be exceeding the legal speed limit...but...there are more traveling above the speed limit than there are obeying the speed limit." You seem to be saying that it's fine to speed as long as others are doing it and if someone gets in your way, it's their fault. I haven't seen anyone else on the forums taking this position. So, I guess technically you're right, it isn't a 5-4 (and not in your favor )
Old 04-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I think a lot of this confusion and failure to adhere to left lane usage is due to many people not referring to as what it is...which is a 'passing lane'. It's only supposed to be normally used for passing, and then you go back to the right hand 'driving' lane.

This may better explain it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_lane

And here is our LA RS 32:71 on driving in the passing lane, and for which subparts you would be cited for violating.

B.(1)(a) Upon all multilane highways, no vehicle shall be driven in the left-hand lane except when directed otherwise, preparing for a left turn at an intersection or private road or driveway, overtaking or passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, or when right-hand lanes are congested; however, no vehicle being driven in the left lane except when directed otherwise or preparing for a left turn at an intersection, private road, or driveway shall impede any other vehicle that is traveling in the same lane and behind that vehicle.

(b) Upon all multilane highways, no vehicle traveling in the left-hand lane shall be driven at a speed slower than any vehicle traveling to its right on the same roadway.

(c) Upon all multilane highways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the circumstances then existing, shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic except when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway, or passing or overtaking a vehicle proceeding in the same direction, if passing on the left side of it. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize driving any vehicle in the left lane so as to prohibit, impede, or block passage of an overtaking vehicle in such lane and in such event the vehicle in the left lane prohibiting, impeding, or blocking passage of an overtaking vehicle shall expeditiously merge into the right lane of traffic.

Now couple this with the law that states it is illegal to exceed a posted speed limit and you've got the whole picture. Only thing I've stated that is outside of the law you posted is if the right lane is in a state of disrepair and unsafe for travel I WILL not travel in it.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #38

I think I need to clarify my original post in reference to the guy at 55 mph.
The speed limit at that point is 70 mph. I 95 southbound approx 50 miles north of the Fla/Ga state line.
This was this past Saturday at around noon. Heavy traffic, but flowing along at around 65 mph, until the backup starts in the left lane because of this idiot tooting along at 55 mph, in the left lane. Everyone slowed because of traffic trying to get out of the left lane and into the right. He slowed everyone down, instead of just driving in the right lane like he's supposed to.
Don't mind those of you that feel you have to run 10-15 mph below the posted limit to save 3/10 of a gallon of fuel, but do it in the appropriate lane.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Old 04-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #39

There is always gonna be 'that guy'. I'm out.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #40

Add Oregon to the list.we have a Impeding traffic law three or more Vehicles you need
to pull over and let them buy or you will get a ticket.
Another one is flow of traffic example three or more cars doing 80mph in a posted 65mph
is legal on highways and Freeways.This falls under are basic rule law.
So all the Left hand Larrys have fun paying the $200.00 ticket. if you do not like do not come to Oregon.
Closed Thread