RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
grumpy0374's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,452
You Can't Fix Stupid

Ran down to Fla last week. Friday, 3 occurrences with RV's involved, proves some people should NOT be allowed behind the wheel of ANY vehicle, much less a huge RV.
I 95 southbound, in Ga, about 50 miles from Fla State line. Traffic very heavy, but moving along at around 65 mph. Traffic comes to a slow crawl in left lane, while right lane is about 45 mph. Took 10 minutes of trying to get in right lane. Found the backup due to a yo-yo in a class c tag axle tootin along at 55 mph, causing left lane to slow for him. Nothing wrong with his rig, just one of those idiots who decides to peg his rig at 55 mph, IN THE LEFT LANE!!! Left lane drivers then trying to get in right lane, causing a 2 mile slow down.
Second occurrence, approaching the bridge at the Ga/Fla state line. Traffic was moving along, and came to a big slowdown, both lanes. Came over the bridge, and there are two RV's, a class a and a fiver, both pulled off the roadway (just barely). All the occupants, maybe 8-9 all togather, standing under the Welcome To Florida sign, taking pictures of each other, all while standing next to the roadway.
Third occurrence, I 95 south, approaching the bypass around Jacksonville to go east on I 10. Flowing traffic comes almost a standstill. As you enter the ramp, two class a rigs, just barely pulled off the roadway on the shoulder. Everyone is out of the rigs, LOOKING AT A MAP!!! They have already obligated themselves to getting on the bypass as their already on the ramp leading off I 95.
Perfect examples of why alot of drivers and truckers can't stand RV'ers.
Grumpy
__________________
Steve & Cheryl + Zoey, and Ziggy, our furry kids.

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline  
Old 04-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
SailorSam20500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,356
What's the old saying? Lead, follow, or get the H out of the way!
__________________
Al
Save the Earth. It’s the only known planet with Beer.
There are times where my greatest accomplishment is keeping my mouth shut...

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 06:48 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Tampa
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Ran down to Fla last week. Friday, 3 occurrences with RV's involved, proves some people should NOT be allowed behind the wheel of ANY vehicle, much less a huge RV.
I 95 southbound, in Ga, about 50 miles from Fla State line. Traffic very heavy, but moving along at around 65 mph. Traffic comes to a slow crawl in left lane, while right lane is about 45 mph. Took 10 minutes of trying to get in right lane. Found the backup due to a yo-yo in a class c tag axle tootin along at 55 mph, causing left lane to slow for him. Nothing wrong with his rig, just one of those idiots who decides to peg his rig at 55 mph, IN THE LEFT LANE!!! Left lane drivers then trying to get in right lane, causing a 2 mile slow down.
Second occurrence, approaching the bridge at the Ga/Fla state line. Traffic was moving along, and came to a big slowdown, both lanes. Came over the bridge, and there are two RV's, a class a and a fiver, both pulled off the roadway (just barely). All the occupants, maybe 8-9 all togather, standing under the Welcome To Florida sign, taking pictures of each other, all while standing next to the roadway.
Third occurrence, I 95 south, approaching the bypass around Jacksonville to go east on I 10. Flowing traffic comes almost a standstill. As you enter the ramp, two class a rigs, just barely pulled off the roadway on the shoulder. Everyone is out of the rigs, LOOKING AT A MAP!!! They have already obligated themselves to getting on the bypass as their already on the ramp leading off I 95.
Perfect examples of why alot of drivers and truckers can't stand RV'ers.
Grumpy
In FL troopers are handing out tickets for driving slowly in left lane.
jeffandrews55 is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 06:56 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Harrison ar
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffandrews55 View Post
In FL troopers are handing out tickets for driving slowly in left lane.
America needs a PR campaign informing the public that slower traffic should keep right!
gloryracing is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 06:59 AM   #5
(Dry Huunday)
 
DreiHunde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by glory rcing View Post
America needs a PR campaign informing the public that slower traffic should keep right!
__________________

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 07:03 AM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 17,527
Some states have laws about driving in left lane. It is use to pass then you are to move back into right lane. Trouble is they don't enforce it. Later RJD
__________________
2020 Shasta Phoenix SPF 27RKSS
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49
aceinspp is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 07:21 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
LittlePM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: In the Heart of Dixie
Posts: 2,001
Back when I was learning how to drive and in drivers ed. we were taught that the left lane was just for passing. My kids told me they don't teach that anymore, and I find that very obvious and irritating everyday while driving.
__________________
Pennie and Chuck, Mandi and Polly (the little dogs)
Hosted BamaGanza 2017 & 2018
2014 Georgetown XL378, 2014 GMC Acadia Denali Toad


The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 07:34 AM   #8
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,221
I've got a T-shirt with the title of this thread on it.....but given today's attitude between some people.....I'm very careful about wearing it.

Three situations where unfortunately there aren't enough Law Enforcement Officers to go around.
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,070
If the left lane is running at the speed limit then it makes no difference that I can see if it's declared a "passing lane" or not. You're not legally allowed to go faster than the posted speed limit regardless of whether or not you are passing. Most people seem to be under the impression that the left lane is the one that you can go 10 or 20 over the speed limit in and then get mad if someone is in it going the speed limit- to those I say, "you're right, you can't fix stupid." But, I will say this, I have run the left lane on a few occasions while pulling the TT at 65 with a posted limit of 70 or 75 because the right lane was completely torn apart. No way to travel it with a TT safely. Massive potholes and buckling for miles.
dustman_stx is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #10
Camp Bartender
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: York, PA
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
Back when I was learning how to drive and in drivers ed. we were taught that the left lane was just for passing. My kids told me they don't teach that anymore, and I find that very obvious and irritating everyday while driving.

Same here, drive in the right, pass in the left.
__________________
2017 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn, 5.7L HEMI
2015 Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD

2015-2018: 20 Trips, 61 Nights Camped
2018: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped
2019: 2 Trips, 10 nights so far......
stevensmith2859 is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 08:06 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pinellas Co.
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
If the left lane is running at the speed limit then it makes no difference that I can see if it's declared a "passing lane" or not. You're not legally allowed to go faster than the posted speed limit regardless of whether or not you are passing. Most people seem to be under the impression that the left lane is the one that you can go 10 or 20 over the speed limit in and then get mad if someone is in it going the speed limit- to those I say, "you're right, you can't fix stupid." But, I will say this, I have run the left lane on a few occasions while pulling the TT at 65 with a posted limit of 70 or 75 because the right lane was completely torn apart. No way to travel it with a TT safely. Massive potholes and buckling for miles.
Despite what you say, some states, including FL as someone else already posted, can and will cite you for holding up faster traffic. The traffic backups and subsequent aggressive driving triggered by a Left Lane Vigilantes are more dangerous than smooth flowing traffic moving above the posted speed limit.
__________________
2008 Honda Ridgeline
2013 Rockwood Mini Lite
10k Equali-i-zer WDH
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
tony5oh is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Seasonal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: S/E Wisconsin
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Found the backup due to a yo-yo in a class c tag axle tootin along at 55 mph, causing left lane to slow for him. Nothing wrong with his rig, just one of those idiots who decides to peg his rig at 55 mph, IN THE LEFT LANE!!! Left lane drivers then trying to get in right lane, causing a 2 mile slow down.
I think my state is the original home to all "Left Lane Larrys". Was on the freeway for several hours last weekend and experienced several of them. Holding up traffic because the right lane was too crowded to pass them in. Noticed that several of them were younger and wondered if parents are teaching their young drivers how to drive with the same forcefulness that my father taught me. Kind of doubt it.
__________________
Ford 2019 F250 Crew Lariat 6.2L 4X4

Seasonal is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
If the left lane is running at the speed limit then it makes no difference that I can see if it's declared a "passing lane" or not. You're not legally allowed to go faster than the posted speed limit regardless of whether or not you are passing. Most people seem to be under the impression that the left lane is the one that you can go 10 or 20 over the speed limit in and then get mad if someone is in it going the speed limit- to those I say, "you're right, you can't fix stupid." But, I will say this, I have run the left lane on a few occasions while pulling the TT at 65 with a posted limit of 70 or 75 because the right lane was completely torn apart. No way to travel it with a TT safely. Massive potholes and buckling for miles.
Well the state of CT disagrees with you, we recently passed a law adding enforcement to the passing lane designation. In other words, doesn't matter how fast you are going if you aren't passing then get over or get a ticket.

Regardless of what you think about what other people do, you are creating a safety issue by causing traffic to pass you in the travel lanes as you occupy the passing lane(s). Leave the job of speed enforcement to the police. The funny thing is that lots of people have the attitude that what they are doing is right so they feel they should dictate what everyone else can do. ie, they are going 2 or 3 or 5 miles an hour over the limit and that is what is safe so they have the right to tie up the left lane because it is up to them to decide what you should be doing. You're right, maybe you can't fix stupid, but you CAN ticket their ass.
__________________
2015 Ram 3500 CC SRW SB 6.7 Cummins
2015 Sabre 36QBOK-7

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
mikeysotp is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Seasonal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: S/E Wisconsin
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
Well the state of CT disagrees with you, we recently passed a law adding enforcement to the passing lane designation. In other words, doesn't matter how fast you are going if you aren't passing then get over or get a ticket.

Regardless of what you think about what other people do, you are creating a safety issue by causing traffic to pass you in the travel lanes as you occupy the passing lane(s). Leave the job of speed enforcement to the police. The funny thing is that lots of people have the attitude that what they are doing is right so they feel they should dictate what everyone else can do. ie, they are going 2 or 3 or 5 miles an hour over the limit and that is what is safe so they have the right to tie up the left lane because it is up to them to decide what you should be doing. You're right, maybe you can't fix stupid, but you CAN ticket their ass.
+1, couldn't agree more with this post... Receives my vote for post of the day.
__________________
Ford 2019 F250 Crew Lariat 6.2L 4X4

Seasonal is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Harrison ar
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
If the left lane is running at the speed limit then it makes no difference that I can see if it's declared a "passing lane" or not. You're not legally allowed to go faster than the posted speed limit regardless of whether or not you are passing. Most people seem to be under the impression that the left lane is the one that you can go 10 or 20 over the speed limit in and then get mad if someone is in it going the speed limit- to those I say, "you're right, you can't fix stupid." But, I will say this, I have run the left lane on a few occasions while pulling the TT at 65 with a posted limit of 70 or 75 because the right lane was completely torn apart. No way to travel it with a TT safely. Massive potholes and buckling for miles.
Here we go again.

It is about safety and NOT creating a traffic hazard. Sure drivers may be exceeding the legal speed limit...but...there are more traveling above the speed limit than there are obeying the speed limit. There are many locations that if you drive the speed limit you will be traveling at a substantially slower speed than the majority of vehicles on the road. Therefore, when 'someone' disrupts the flow of traffic due to clogging the far left lanes it creates a dangerous situation.

Also, it is not up to drivers to enforce the laws. If you are disturbed that some drivers are exceeding the speed limit. Safely pull over and contact law enforcement.
gloryracing is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pinellas Co.
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
...
...
But, I will say this, I have run the left lane on a few occasions while pulling the TT at 65 with a posted limit of 70 or 75 because the right lane was completely torn apart. No way to travel it with a TT safely. Massive potholes and buckling for miles.
To be fair, this is one situation where it's a Catch 22. I've been in similar spots, but it was three lanes, so I just hung in lane 2 until the bad stretch was done. Two lanes could be tough, don't want to shred a tire or worse, but don't want to be "that guy" either.
__________________
2008 Honda Ridgeline
2013 Rockwood Mini Lite
10k Equali-i-zer WDH
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
tony5oh is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
5er_tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 2,298
The laws about impeding them flow of traffic make
no mention of the speed limit. If you are holding up traffic move over. As a general rule, if the vehicles to your right are moving at the same speed or faster than you, move over.
Out west the police enforce it, as they should. And, most drivers out west understand and stay out of the left lane. Out west as in: UT, MT, WY, ND, SD.
__________________
Tom & Renée
Durham, NC

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2018 Ford F-350, 4x4, Diesel, CC, Long Bed
5er_tom is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 6,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
The laws about impeding them flow of traffic make
no mention of the speed limit. If you are holding up traffic move over. As a general rule, if the vehicles to your right are moving at the same speed or faster than you, move over.
Out west the police enforce it, as they should. And, most drivers out west understand and stay out of the left lane. Out west as in: UT, MT, WY, ND, SD.
I've never seen enough traffic in those states to worry about lane choice
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony5oh View Post
Despite what you say, some states, including FL as someone else already posted, can and will cite you for holding up faster traffic. The traffic backups and subsequent aggressive driving triggered by a Left Lane Vigilantes are more dangerous than smooth flowing traffic moving above the posted speed limit.
That would be a fun ticket to get: "Failure to allow other motorists to speed." Or maybe: "Inciting motorists to drive aggressively." In all seriousness, I get what you're saying. Maybe I gave the impression that I hang out in the left lane when it's clearly posted for passing only, and that isn't the case. As I pointed out earlier, I WILL stay in that left lane if my ONLY other choice is to travel in a lane that is damaged and UNSAFE to use when towing- I don't care if they have a sign with MY name on it telling me not to use the left lane. Otherwise I follow the law as posted. Now, I have seen many stretches that say "Slower traffic keep right." If I can run the speed limit I'll use the left lane sometimes on those roads, especially if there is a lot of merging and exiting going on. Slower, by the law, means traffic that can't maintain the speed limit- not slower than the people that are wanting to run 10 or 20 over.
dustman_stx is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by glory rcing View Post
Here we go again.

It is about safety and NOT creating a traffic hazard. Sure drivers may be exceeding the legal speed limit...but...there are more traveling above the speed limit than there are obeying the speed limit. There are many locations that if you drive the speed limit you will be traveling at a substantially slower speed than the majority of vehicles on the road. Therefore, when 'someone' disrupts the flow of traffic due to clogging the far left lanes it creates a dangerous situation.

Also, it is not up to drivers to enforce the laws. If you are disturbed that some drivers are exceeding the speed limit. Safely pull over and contact law enforcement.
So the guy going the speed limit is creating the safety hazard and NOT the ones speeding??? Tell me again the point of posting a speed limit? What percentage of motorists is required to nullify a posted speed limit? Or is it quantitative? Maybe it's purely democratic and requires 51% since you said "more traveling above than obeying?" I'm just curious so that the next time I decide I can ignore a speed limit for the sake of "safety" I can "educate" the officer (should I be pulled over) by pointing out that the criteria for voiding the posted speed limit had been met. Clearly a slew of people running 80 encountering someone traveling 70 (in a 70mph zone) can create a potentially dangerous situation, especially when some of those wanting to run 80 start acting like idiots to get around. That we can agree on. But I contend that those exceeding the speed limit are SOLELY responsible for any danger, NOT the person obeying the speed limit. There clearly must be some inherent danger of running 80, otherwise the speed limit wouldn't be 70 (as an example). So they've ALREADY created a dangerous situation whether there is a slower driver or not.

This does remind me of a funny story: A friend of mine was once speeding, but so was the rest of the traffic. He got pulled over. He asked the officer why he picked him out when he was going the same speed as everyone else. This guy is an avid duck hunter and had a Ducks Unlimited sticker on his back glass, which the officer had clearly noticed. The officer simply responded "How do you decide which duck to shoot?" He got the point. And a ticket.
dustman_stx is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.