Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #1

You May Want To Check Yours

This is another "you may want to check yours" issue, ... a couple of weeks ago, I posted about discovering loose screws on my X-chocks, and thought other folks might like to know that that can happen, ... and now I've discovered another issue with my Micro Lite that certainly needed attention, and your trailer/rv might as well, ... found a wet spot in a very isolated and hard to get to area, its where the low point drains go thru to the underside of the trailer, ... in that area is the expanding gray/black sealing foam and many pex joints that could be leaking, but I've looked at this area before and always dry, ... a few months ago we started going to a local cg with only power, no water or sewer, but they have water faucets around the cg to fill your fresh water tank, ... since we only go there for three days at a time, I'd never filled the FWT full, but the previous trip we did run out of water and had to resupply the FWT with buckets, ... so last weekend I didn't want that to happen again and let it fill to over flowing out the fill port, ... no problem, right? ... WRONG ... two days ago when I found the wet spot inside I also discovered the hose to the tank is one with the wire spiral and even with a very tight hose clamp it is almost impossible to seal that connection to where it is water tight against a barbed male connector, ... in my case the hose clamp wasn't very tight either, ... I've sealed it now with silicon on the male, let it get tacky before sliding the hose in place, and then tightened the clamp, ... had no leak when I tested it,

I told a friend about what I'd found, he tows one of the yellow Winnebago trailers, he checked his and with the same hose with the wire spiral, his was leaking in the very same place, ... that wire reinforced hose just doesn't collapse under the pressure of the clamp like a rubber hose would, ... he sealed his using plumbers putty on the barbed male, then clamping onto that, ...

this post is to bring that potential leak area to everyone's attention, if you're like we were and don't/didn't use the FWT (until lately), we had no idea water could leak inside the trailer from that fill port, ... now we do and you do as well, ... "you may want to check yours",
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0939.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	382.9 KB
ID:	181476   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0941.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	352.7 KB
ID:	181477  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags