Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2020, 03:41 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
You apparently have never encountered BigFoot in the woods at night.
Well, using that flashlight, maybe we would finally get a good picture of that guy.

Bruce
Old 03-28-2020, 04:06 PM   #62

For pocket carry at work and for one in the glove box, I use these and love them.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They give a nice wide beam for walking and have a slide zoom feature by pulling/pushing the head the beam gets smaller and more focused and will light up a dog at 50 yards away.

When I'm camping, my 3 cell LED Maglite doesn't leave my side at the fire. I can spot snakes warming on the blacktop after the sun goes down, blind a coon that wanders up a little too close or knock out a drunk that does the same thing if I need to, lol. Batteries last all season and no bulbs to worry about.

https://smile.amazon.com/Maglite-LED...02&s=hi&sr=1-2
Old 03-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
You apparently have never encountered BigFoot in the woods at night.

Exactly. Hiking at night - no moonlight, or finding your way back to your campsite in the woods in pitch darkness after a social event. Lots of reasons.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #64
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I understand, but that flashlight weighs just less than one pound without the two D cell batteries and it only projects 168 lumens. I’m just saying, this is the typical Maglite offering and it just doesn’t compare to what the competition has to offer these days.

I’m not saying this isn’t an ideal or favorite flashlight for you. I am only backing up my opinion on Maglite.

Bruce

My only purpose for carrying a three-cell Streamlight or Maglite is defensive purposes. It is like a very bright lead pipe, lol. Thankfully my days of choosing this mode of illumination out of necessity are over!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:54 PM   #65

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
I have two basic flashlights
1.) Dollar Store LED that is not so bright but great for most uses - great for night trips where you want to be able to see stars (I have these all around the camper and my camping gear)
2.) Cycling leadlamp 600 lumens that will make you nightblind but you can use it to backup a motorhome - rechargeable https://uedata.amazon.com/Axiom-Laze.../dp/B0186TDQ4I
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:26 PM   #66

I have about 4 favorite flashlights, depending on what I need at the moment. I have a headlamp for tight spaces when I need both hands free, I have a small tactical style light that is always in my carry along bag with my diabetic supplies, I have a large rechargeable with a spot beam and an area light, and I have a a 6 cell mag light that stays next to the bed along with the loud noise maker for security purposes.

Funny thing about the 6 cell Mag light, they were issued to us as USAF LEO’s because night sticks were against regulations. They taught us how to use them effectively.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:16 PM   #67
Befuddled wanderer

I have a couple different Nebo flashlights and really like them.
https://www.nebotools.com/c/Lights/16

They make a wide variety of styles so they should have something for everyone. I can't say that everything they make is awesome, but the ones I own are nice. My most recent purchase is the Slyde+: https://www.nebotools.com/p/SLYDE%2B-%282nd-Gen%29/622 One of the reasons I purchased this one is because it uses 4 AA batteries. It's not the only reason, but I, too, get annoyed by the lights that use three AAA's. I like to use rechargeable batteries and my charging system can charge 2 or 4 at a time, but not 3.

The Ace hardware stores in my area carry them. I don't know if all Ace hardware's carry them, but if you like to handle a flashlight before you purchase, your local Ace hardware may be the place for you.

2020 Rockwood Ultra Light 2891 BH
1996 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 8.0L V10

"Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice"
cc102bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:40 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc102bob View Post
I have a couple different Nebo flashlights and really like them.
https://www.nebotools.com/c/Lights/16

They make a wide variety of styles so they should have something for everyone. I can't say that everything they make is awesome, but the ones I own are nice. My most recent purchase is the Slyde+: https://www.nebotools.com/p/SLYDE%2B-%282nd-Gen%29/622 One of the reasons I purchased this one is because it uses 4 AA batteries. It's not the only reason, but I, too, get annoyed by the lights that use three AAA's. I like to use rechargeable batteries and my charging system can charge 2 or 4 at a time, but not 3.

The Ace hardware stores in my area carry them. I don't know if all Ace hardware's carry them, but if you like to handle a flashlight before you purchase, your local Ace hardware may be the place for you.
My local hardware store used to keep the Nebo Syde on their register counter, and when my helper saw them for the first time, he had to have one. I warned him about Chinese flashlights, but he had to have it. The long LED in the handle was ideal for working under cabinets on plumbing. However, they would only last about two weeks — I guess they couldn’t handle the constant abuse of being tossed into and around my tool bag, occasionally getting knocked around while I was using them and the frequency of getting wet due to me being a plumber. I would exchange one about every week or two. I guess the hardware store got sick of me returning them because they stopped selling them.

I now use a Milwaukee M18 flashlight for work — have been ever since they came out with them. Just last Monday I dropped it into a sump pit full to the top with water. It went to the bottom with the light still on. I pulled it out, shook it off and it is still working today.

Bruce
Old 03-29-2020, 05:57 AM   #69

Sure fire E2D. I have 2 because 2 is 1....had these for years. Run forever on 2 CR123 batteries. Lights up bright to easily 100 yards and has a low light level with push button activation. Pricey but worth in IMHO. Small enough to carry in a pocket with the handy clip. Also makes a great accessory to ‘other’ toys.....
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2020, 06:19 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Texan View Post
Sure fire E2D. I have 2 because 2 is 1....had these for years. Run forever on 2 CR123 batteries. Lights up bright to easily 100 yards and has a low light level with push button activation. Pricey but worth in IMHO. Small enough to carry in a pocket with the handy clip. Also makes a great accessory to ‘other’ toys.....
This is a great flashlight. I have one, also, but mine is the Single Output (E2D Defender Tactical Version (E2DLU-T). This is a great defensive flashlight. I’ve been thinking about getting the dual output version like yours because so often 1,000 lumens is just too much light. I like that the dual output delivers the high output beam on the first button push — almost all other dual output flashlights are the other way around which makes them less effective for tactical use.

I also wish they would come out with a version of this flashlight that would accept the 18650 battery.

Bruce
Old 03-29-2020, 06:27 AM   #71

For work and play I use the same flashlight. I have two of these and they are great. Easy to charge with the cell phone cord that I have i the car and on the desk.

https://www.streamlight.com/en/produ...protac-hl-usb#
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:39 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by spierce617 View Post
For work and play I use the same flashlight. I have two of these and they are great. Easy to charge with the cell phone cord that I have i the car and on the desk.

https://www.streamlight.com/en/produ...protac-hl-usb#
This, too, is a great flashlight. It is almost identical to the SureFire mentioned above, but what’s better about this flashlight is its ability to use the 123A and the 18650 batteries.

Bruce
Old 03-29-2020, 07:18 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
I have about 4 favorite flashlights, depending on what I need at the moment. I have a headlamp for tight spaces when I need both hands free, I have a small tactical style light that is always in my carry along bag with my diabetic supplies, I have a large rechargeable with a spot beam and an area light, and I have a a 6 cell mag light that stays next to the bed along with the loud noise maker for security purposes.

Funny thing about the 6 cell Mag light, they were issued to us as USAF LEO’s because night sticks were against regulations. They taught us how to use them effectively.
Of those four favorite flashlights, if you were forced to get rid of three of them, which would be the one you kept? Can you specify the make and model, please?

Bruce
Old 03-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #74

Quote:
Of those four favorite flashlights, if you were forced to get rid of three of them, which would be the one you kept? Can you specify the make and model, please?

Bruce
If i could only have one I would keep the small tactical that I have, it is a Cree Q5 ultraFire. It really isn’t anything all that special, it is about 5 inches long so it is easy to carry, runs on 1 AA battery, and puts out a pretty good light.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:31 AM   #75

Quote:
I don’t disagree, but you are comparing Maglites to Maglites. My point was that Maglite isn’t keeping up with the competition and does not produce a flashlight anywhere close to what is available in different brands with equal or better quality and similar pricing.

Bruce
My favorite flashlight? I own one of the first Maglites produced. A 5 D-Cell model I purchased back in 1979. Recently I replaced the original bulb with an aftermarket 300 lumen LED bulb that turned it into a real spotlight. With 5 D-Cells I may never have to replace batteries, depending on how long I live. Still as heavy as it was when I bought it but there are times that a nice heavy object in your hand at night is "comforting".

Considering that it's still working flawlessly after over 40 years is a testament to it's quality and durability.

When it comes to the smaller flashlights I have an unknown number of them spread out all over the place. Some in toolboxes, several around the house, and a few in the TT. Some require regular batteries, some 123's, and a couple with 18650 rechargables. Even a couple of lites that mount of the brim of my ball cap(s) and are rechargeable and one that I can use with just a headband and puts out 500 lumens.

Like someone said earlier, I have a flashlight fetish. Most of the small lites were purchased when sold in multi-packs of 3 to 6 at various times they were offered by Costco.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:38 AM   #76

Quote:
I still have a few Maglites floating around, but they are old and tired because I bought them when they were just about the best flashlight available. I became frustrated with them because their incandescent bulbs just couldn’t take much abuse — there was a reason they came with a spare bulb in the cap. I tried their first couple of attempts with LED, but they just didn’t cut it, so I began to look at other options. If Maglite was able to keep up with the rapidly advancing flashlight industry, I would still be a loyal customer. Even now, Maglite can’t touch the performance of their competition and it seems they are relying on their name and the lack of consumer education to keep them afloat. I would again buy Maglite if they could ever pull themselves out of the 1990s and make a product equal to or better than what’s out there today.

Bruce

If you still have Maglites around have you considered replacing the old bulbs with aftermarket LED bulbs. I did and it was literally like night and day. More light and the added benefit of not having the bulb fail if you drop it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If you still have Maglites around have you considered replacing the old bulbs with aftermarket LED bulbs. I did and it was literally like night and day. More light and the added benefit of not having the bulb fail if you drop it.
My decision to stray from Maglite and try some other brands is what infected me with my fetish for flashlights years ago. Before then a flashlight was a flashlight to me. Now I have lots (too many) of flashlights and I have no need to upgrade my Maglites to flashlights that will still be inferior to those I have accumulated over the years.

I really do hope that Maglite steps up their game and catches up to their competition because I would definitely give them another chance.

Bruce
Old 03-29-2020, 10:59 AM   #78
Grammar Pedant

Maglites are a good $15 flashlight. They're big and heavy, which may or may not be a bad thing. I have about 4 ranging from 6 - 15 years old. All are incandescent and all have blown/broken bulbs. I got tired of changing the bulbs in those things, so they sit. I can't ever remember so much as dropping any of them, but the bulbs just wear out. Again, decent lights for $15, but I'd not pay a penny more than that. I probably ought to convert them to LED.

I like rechargeables. While I generally have AA and AAA batteries around, I don't generally have CR123, C, or D batteries just lying around. Cheap $20 Chinese knock-offs of Fenix/Streamlight do OK. I want, but have not purchased, a good OLight or Fenix light in the $60-$100 range.

For camping, I quite like the Coleman Quad Lantern. I had the original version for a few years and really liked it. Perfect for trips to the bathroom and such. I got the new PRO version ~2 years ago. For $50, it's a great do-it-all light. As a lantern, it spits out a crazy amount of light (800 lumens). Each of the 4 panels removes as either a 100 lumen panel flood light or a 100 lumen flashlight. This device has sort of eliminated my needs for flashlights when camping. I know the OP said no lanterns or floods ... but this lantern literally converts to four discrete hand-held flashlights.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:04 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
I know the OP said no lanterns or floods ... but this lantern literally converts to four discrete hand-held flashlights.
I believe this qualifies as a flashlight/s. I like this idea. Don’t worry — you didn’t break any rules.

Bruce
Old 03-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #80

Shoot, I was going to ask what your favorite spotlight was, but that might be in the floodlight category.

Tags
light