Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #1

Heat pump operation

Just purchased a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL. The rear a/c has a heat pump. How is it turned on since I have no heat pump switch on the thermostat? Does it operate with the furnace? I do have a separate thermostat in the bedroom but was told that this controls the front /a/c only. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
mbrolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #2

As far as I know, the heat pump should be on the thermostat (that is how ours is). It definitely does not work with the furnace. I can't imagine that the heat pump switch would be anywhere else, but maybe someone knows otherwise. Jerry.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

Generally just a selection on the t-stat. You're t-stat should have a furnace, AND heat pump selection. Very possible it's got the wrong t-stat, or it doesn't really have a heat pump. I'd guess they put the wrong t-stat in. Some, like in our previous motorhomes, do work in conjunction with the furnace, but they still have both selections on the t-stat. If it senses it's too cold (can't remember temp), it'll kick the furnace on to catch up along with the heat pump, then furnace will shut off when it gets to a certain temp and heat pump will continue. Not all are configured like this. One thing to remember if you didn't already know, is once you get down to say 40° or so, the heat pump is worthless. You'll get nothing but cold air. Above that, they're great. We've had both set ups, and this time again opted for heat strips for this reason since they don't care what the outside temp is.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #4

I'm not familiar with your model camper or the heat pump options installed in any brand tt or fw. But I'm a hvac tech for residential equipment. The hp uses a reversing valve to control the flow of Freon for either heat or cool. So I would assume that if you put your main thermostat for the coach on heat it controls the roof top unit, and the compressor and reversing valve do its thing together to heat the coach. Is it possible that you have a third thermostat that controls just the gas furnace? Have you pulled the thermostat off the base plate and looked on the back to see if there's a switch? I know some residential thermostats have the switch on the back of them. Or maybe in the control panel with all of the slide controls and tank level indicators there's a switch to change between hp and gas? Is there an emergency heat or auxiliary heat option on the thermostat? Residential hp thermostats have an option like that on them so that you can bypass using the outside unit and use just the electric heating elements or gas as your primary heat source. Hopefully some of this helps. And remember I'm not familiar with the hp systems on rv's and just trying to throw some ideas that I would check if it were me
Old 02-06-2014, 11:42 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I do remember the rv tech, during our walk through, saying that the bedroom thermostat will turn on the heat pump. Will get out this weekend and do some more checking on this. Sometimes wonder what thinking goes on when they build these things. Will keep you posted. FYI, we love the layout on this unit. Traded in our 01 HR Presidential 30SCD.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #6

My salesman told me I had a heat pump too but after I researched myself that was not true. I even asked the pdi tech and he said no heat pump. Salesman will say anything so you may want to actually verify you even have one.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #7

The rear a/c unit has a heat output of 1500 watts. Found this when I was recording the model/serial numbers. Just need to verify how it is turned on. Right now we have had heavy snow. Hope to get out tomorrow or Sunday to find out what the deal is.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #8

The hallway thermostat controls the rear a/c and furnace. The bedroom thermostat controls the front a/c and the heat pump on the rear a/c.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
FR3 Representative

Actually the hallway thermostat controls the rear a/c, furnace and heat pump. Whenever a Blue Ridge is optioned with a heat pump, the rear a/c unit is replaced with an a/c-Heat Pump model. There should be a setting on the thermostat in the hallway for Heat Pump. I would check your option sheet that came in the packet you received from your dealer when you purchased your fifth wheel to verify that it was a factory installed option. Also there is a chance that the face plate on the thermostat is the wrong one, or that dometic sent the wrong thermostat with the a/c unit. If you talk to your dealer they should be able to get this taken care of very easily. Attached is a picture of the Heat Pump Thermostat.
ssobkowiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:33 PM   #10

Finally got down to the root of the problem. During our PDI I was told that the bedroom thermostat turned on the heat pump. Long story short is that we have a 15k ac in the rear and a 13,500 ac unit in the bedroom. The bedroom thermostat controls the front ac and the front ac fan speed only. The hallway thermostat controls the fan speed, ac and furnace only. No Heat pump! Since the 5er was at the dealer for some minor repairs I decided to have the ac/heat pump unit installed as an upgrade.

Tags
pump