Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2021, 09:36 PM   #1

Propane auto-changeover that didn't

Hi everyone, i'm new to the forum and to RVing and ran into trouble on our maiden voyage with the propane system... luckily it was at the end of our trip.

We just purchased a 2015 Blue Ridge 3125RT and are new to 5th wheeling. We took it out on the first adventure and everything with the RV was great... except at 3am, when the heat went out because the Auto-switchover valve didn't auto-switchover. The model valve we have is the fairview model GR-9984(below). I double checked that the tanks were on and I even manually switched from primary to secondary and still couldn't use that tank. I noticed that there is an inline regulator about 1' down the line from the tank. I thought it was odd that there are inline regulators and then an auto switch regulator (almost like double regulated), but i thought i would ask someone who is more knowledgable than myself, if that is the standard configuration.

My guess is that the inline regulator is the most likely culprit to my issue, but before i replace it, just wanted to make sure that having an inline regulator is the proper setup.

Any help/advice is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	changeover1a.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	249542  
otis5722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Starting simple:

Are you positive that BOTH tanks had propane in them?

Did you have them filled or just taking a dealers word that they did?

Have you removed the tanks and weighed them to see?

This thread may help (Posts 1 and 3):

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ng-133760.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:51 PM   #3

Propane Auto-changeover that didn't

Thank you for responding. I'm 100% sure there was and still is propane in the one tank and the other ran heat/stove/fridge... until it didn't . Thinking along that thought process, when we got back home, i connected the one "full" tank to my bbq and just let it run for about 5min before i turned it off. I haven't weighed it yet, but i can do that tomorrow.

What i should have done was move the tank to the other compartment and test it there before i moved it to the storage yard... which will be my next test.

The main thing i'm trying to figure out is whether there are supposed to be regulators inline from the tank to the auto-changeover switch:

Tank1-->hose-->Regulator-->hose-->one side of the auto-changeover switch

Tank2-->hose-->Regulator-->hose-->other side of the auto-changeover switch

since the auto-changeover switch seems to be a regulator also, it just seemed to be double "regulating".
otis5722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:54 PM   #4

Can you share a few pics of what you're describing? Double regulating would be a problem but if both sides look the same "Tank-->hose-->Regulator-->hose-->one side of the auto-changeover switch", and one side is working, you'd think the other side would too.

One thing I learned from this forum. When you open the valve on a tank, do it very slowly. Otherwise flow will be very restricted. Maybe that's what was what was going on.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:11 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Yes there is a 2nd 'usually red' regulator on the tank fartherest away from the switch-over regulator. This red regulator somewhat lowers tank pressure and keeps the LP Gas from re-condensing in the longer rubber hose that crosses over the front compartment on a 5th wheel to where the the other tank is located. The switch-over regulator then lowers the pressure to what the system is designed for.

Now... to your issue...
Some of the switch-over regulators have check valves where the supply hoses connect to the regulator body and have given issues blocking the flow of propane. I had this issue and there have been other posts here as well.

The check valve can be replaced or a new regulator comes with them installed for a few dollars more. I replaced my switch-over regulator with a higher BTU model when I replaced mine.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:36 PM   #6

Propane Auto-changeover that didn't

I just had the same issue, turns out it was not the auto change over regulator or the high pressure regulator. My propane bottle had the valve seat stuck, it will not release gas until it is compressed. The hose connection was bad to the bottle.
galynster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:34 AM   #7

I've got that same regulator. It has always switched over automatically, but the red/green indicator almost never flips like it should.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane