Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #1

Residential Frig in 2017 Blue Ridge 3780LF

Residential Frig has stopped working when on battery. Checked the fuses, inverter and no issues there. Working fine when on shore power. Any help with what to check next to get Frig to work on battery when traveling to our next destination.
danpophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:16 AM   #2

The frig does not select the power source I think the inverter is the problem I would make sure the inverter is actually producing power and not just passing 110 when on shore power.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpophin View Post
Residential Frig has stopped working when on battery. Checked the fuses, inverter and no issues there. Working fine when on shore power. Any help with what to check next to get Frig to work on battery when traveling to our next destination.
Check the GFI on the inverter. (test reset) Check the 12-volt power to the inverter with no shore power. Check the battery voltage.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #4

When off shore power the inverter is indicating 13.2 volts. I have tested the GFI breaker and it is okay. How do I tell if the inverter is not producing power?
Old 06-04-2018, 08:31 AM   #5

what make / model inverter? what indicator lights does it have on and what does the display panel say? you say you have reset the gfci receptacle on the inverter. plug a lamp or radio into the gfci receptacle and see if they work. depending upon which inverter you have there may be a small refrigerator transfer switch involved. it will have three power cables. one input to a/c shore power from the circuit breaker in you distribution panel, one input from the inverter, and output to the refrigerator. the input from the inverter will be plugged into the gfci receptacle on the inverter. again depending on the make of the transfer switch it may have either an output cable or a 110 volt receptacle. if it has an output cable this will go to a junction box with a 110 volt receptacle in it. the refrigerator will plug into either the receptacle in the junction box or the transfer switch receptacle itself. you need to confirm that you are getting 110 volt power out of the inverter gfci and then out of the transfer switch. if the transfer switch were to fail the inverter could be producing power yet the transfer switch not be passing it to the refrigerator. some makes of inverters have the transfer switch built into them.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:38 AM   #6

Plug something into the gfi outlet on the inverter. Can't read more than 13 volts when no converter is running. If the inverter is putting out power on its gfi duplex,it is your inverter transfer switch.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #7

Quote:
When off shore power the inverter is indicating 13.2 volts. I have tested the GFI breaker and it is okay. How do I tell if the inverter is not producing power?
If there is a gfi outlet on the inverter and it has 120 volts then the inverter is working.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Plug something into the gfi outlet on the inverter. Can't read more than 13 volts when no converter is running. If the inverter is putting out power on its gfi duplex,it is your inverter transfer switch.
GFI outlet is 120 volts AC
Old 06-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #9

Concatenated two answers to the OP. One was measured dc voltage to the inverter, the other was on the ac side. Sorry to be so abbreviated.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #10

Quote:
That's good. That's your battery voltage. Now measure the 120 volt AC GFI outlet. be sure it is reset. If it is and shows 120 volt than the inverter is working. If the GFI does not test and reset, then the inverter is not working.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #11

Transfer switch

This what my transfer switch looks for reference.
Test the gfi output on the inverter as mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31E55988-EEA0-4ED4-A7E3-D6082F61B182.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	174675  
Rbare31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #12

Sorry for the slow response, got tied up with a work assignment. Appreciate your quick response. The inverter is a Prowatt SW 2000. The Power light is on with a green light and the display shows 13.1 when plugged into shore power. When disconnected to shore power, voltage drops steadily. Plug in a fan into the GFI and no response. Pushed the test button and tried to push the reset button, but it was already depressed. Looks like the GFI is bad. Don't see how to replace the GFI. I looks to be integrated into the Inverter. Any more ideas?
Old 06-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #13

Sorry, don't understand if the GFI will not test and reset it is the inverter that is not working. I cannot reset the GFI.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #14

I just replaced that exact model but I had error codes and bad electrical smell. Use a volt meter and check your input to the inverter. I’ll look at my old one when I get home and see if the gfi can be replaced.
Rbare31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Sorry, don't understand if the GFI will not test and reset it is the inverter that is not working. I cannot reset the GFI.
Do you have 12 volts to the inverter?
Old 06-05-2018, 03:31 PM   #16

Just got off the phone with Xantrek and they say the unit is not repairable and I will need to buy a new one. It is only 22 months old. But at least I know what to do now. Thanks for all of the help from everyone. Great site.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #17

I have 12 volts to the inverter. Looks like the GFI on the inverter has gone bad and this is a unit that is not repairable.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #18

i'd check a bit more. there have been quite a few posts about the gfci going bad on an inverter and the problem being corrected by replacing the gfci. what i do not know is the brand of inverters that this was done on. but the gfci is a standard one that you can buy at home depot. if you're planning on replacing it there's no harm in opening it up and taking a look.

Tags
blue ridge