Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #1

Shower and water issues...it never ends!

Our 3025RL..water hook up is one place and you have a valve that switches to fill the fresh water tank or use city water. Over the past few weeks I've noticed that when the valve is in the City position it is still allowing water to flow into our fresh water tank. On several occasions when I get up the next morning there is water coming out of our overflow of the fresh water tank. I think or hope the fix for that is replacing that valve....BUT as my fresh water tank was full we decided to use that water versus dumping it, that is when we discovered the issue with our shower. When using city water the pressure is great as is the mix of hot/cold water. BUT when using the pump it's a different story..get in the shower..set the hot/cold temp..and here is what we get..the pump runs for about 15 seconds...then quits for about 5..then starts back up for another 15 seconds..then quits for 5 this process repeats during the entire shower..when the pump is on..good pressure and good water mix...when the pump shuts off...water immediatly gets hot..in fact very hot..when pump comes back on..water is cold..then gradually returns to where you had it set....then kicks off again get super hot..then on..cold until it returns to normal setting...and starts the whole cycle over again. Any ideas on what could be wrong??? I've heard everything from the pump needs adjusted to stay on throughout the shower..which would resolve this..to I need to install backflow valves everywhere...to I need to replase all my bypass valves...this is a new 2014..in reality I shouldn't have to replace anything..BUT buying new doesn't mean what it used to......I'm sure I'll end up taking it in for warranty work...it's just that I'm sure the cost to replace a few valves are going to be cheaper than the diesel it takes to get the trailer there and back..so was thinking about doing it myself...Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!!
davids0n55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #2

Sounds like an air chamber for the pump side is in order. It will smooth out the pump pulsations and provide a more consistent flow.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #3

Sounds to me like your pump is allowing backflow into your holding tank. Maybe one of the internal baffles have curled or has worn out. And in conjunction with that I believe your pump is not adjusted correctly. I think the sureflo pumps are factory adjusted but can be adjusted in the field. If you had the owners manual for your pump it would cover this procedure. You can pull the pump head and see whats going on. Of course all water pressure needs to be deleted when doing this. These are my thoughts due to my limited experience.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies..I had heard the pump was adjustable..as far as manuals..The packet of books I received from Forest River was pathetic to say the least....the manual on the trailer itself isn't even for the blueridge..and is very..very generic. The rest..which aren't much unfortunately didn't have one of the pump. But like BigTJohn stated I may look into the air chamber he spoke of..In our older trailers..when you took a shower..the pump ran the entire time..and the pressure and mix was great...we just had a 5 gallon tank so ya had to be quick! or use the on/off switch on the shower head..and that presents it's own set of hot/cold issues...As this thing is still under warranty I'll probably have to take it back in versus throwing things at it to try and resolve the issue..I just hate to spend the money in diesel to get it there if it were something simple..and the last couple times we've taken it in, it's taken them a month to get things fixed...Thanks!!!!
davids0n55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

An accumulator tank will even out the pressure but it sounds like the pressure switch is not operating properly...the pump shouldn't be cycling 15s on 5s off when showering.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #6

Maybe this will help:
http://dutchmen.com/image/data/docum...tchadj2088.pdf
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #7

One other thing. If your pump water lines are set up with the antifreeze tubing and switch valve you could make sure the antifreeze hose is capped and then set the switch valve to antifreeze input position and that will prevent shore water pressure from filling your holding tank. I'm done.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
Plain Old Member

Had this happen to our Tiffin on the water tank filling just as you mentioned. Also happened to a bunch of other people, various makes and models. I can't remember if it was the check valve or what. One temporary fix (for that unit), was make sure I was at 40-50 psi on my regulator from the city connection. If more than that, it was going to be full. That's just a temporary fix and the check valve and / or pump needs to be replaced.

If it were me I'd just change the pump, and upgrade to a better variable speed shurflo. Those are nice, as they change speed depending on water demand. No cycling like the standard pump. Easy plug and play if you can get to it fairly easy. I agree with Dave. Maybe an accumulator tank, but that only band aids the problem as the pump shouldn't do that. I've have had them do that on a small bathroom faucet, but not on the shower.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show, shower, water