Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #1

147x or 163

I have been looking at these two trailers. For me the choice is single axle or tandem. Anyone had issues with single axles. I know there is a safety aspect to tandems but is it that much better? Also the 147 has a lift kit.

Any advise from those that have these two trailers is appreciated.
Faceplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
Site Team

First question:

What's your tow vehicle and its specs?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #3

Sorry, keep forgetting to put TV in.

2008 Tundra double cab 5.7.
Faceplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #4
Site Team

With that capable of tow vehicle, no way would I go for the smaller single axle.
IMHO, those are only for TVs with limited payload/towing capacity.
Tandem axles are more stable and easier to back in.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #5

If you think you may go off road with the lift and bigger tires the 147x has, then consider that one. If not, the extra couple of feet on the 163 gives you a little more interior storage that would be nice to have. We were not convinced the extra $2-$3k on the 163 was worth it.
Very happy with our 147x, although the off-road package was not offered when we purchased.
2011 Chevy Traverse (traded 2018)
2014 Solaire 147X (traded 2019)
RamsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:20 PM   #6

We have a 147x, and there was not an off-road package available either. Our TT is our first camper from upgrading from tent camping and it's been fine for the two of us. The clearance is a little tight at times, ... and only once did we have to switch out camping sites because the slight grade to the spot was too much for our camper and we would've tore up/tore out the stabilizing jacks.

For other owners of the 147x, do you know if there is any tuning of the TV antenna or is it in a fixed position? I haven't been able to find any crank or tuning device at all.
Furry protectors Snowball & Max

burntcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntcore View Post
We have a 147x, and there was not an off-road package available either. Our TT is our first camper from upgrading from tent camping and it's been fine for the two of us. The clearance is a little tight at times, ... and only once did we have to switch out camping sites because the slight grade to the spot was too much for our camper and we would've tore up/tore out the stabilizing jacks.

For other owners of the 147x, do you know if there is any tuning of the TV antenna or is it in a fixed position? I haven't been able to find any crank or tuning device at all.
There is no crank or tuning in ours. The antenna is fixed and has the powered amplifier switch only. You get what you get. We got 3 digital channels at home and barely one analog one on the weekend. Neighboring campers with a jayco crank up got 2 digital and 1 analog so the difference of the tunable antenna makes a difference IMO. But didnt but it for the TV
LBJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #8

i dont have either, i have the 213x, but i just looked at the floor plans, very similar but i like the bigger bathroom/tub of the 163x. i almost went with the 199x that had the tub but wanted the 3rd bed in my 213x, but i hate my tiny little shower, although rarely gets used. cant tell for sure with out reading more, but based of the floor plan pictures the fridge might be smaller in the 147x, if that is the case again i would want the bigger fridge in the 163x.

just my opinion
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote