RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-23-2020, 10:32 PM   #1

Unhappy 2021 147x Off Road PROBLEMS

We bought a new 147X in March of this year. The factory was subsequently shut down because of Covid, and we finally received the unit on Jun 20. On our first outing, we discovered that we had an electrical short, there was no power to the overhead bunk lights/fans, and we had problems with the oven pilot light staying lit. Dealer took care of this, except the bunk lights, for what ever reason.

Second trip, noticed that the bolts securing the coach to the front frame outriggers, were missing the nuts, and were bent and bent the outriggers. Also mentioned that to me, this unit has excessive sway. THey recommended anti sway bar, which where back ordered. Again, dealer took care of this pretty fast (I give full credit to Kyle, their mechanic).

After the third or fourth trip, I send this to my dealer.

1. Oven/range; door fell off, cannot get pilot to stay lit, and the two back burners came unscrewed and were lying loose when I arrived home. Loose burners are a new development. I understand that you have a replacement oven for me.

2. CRACKS in frame on passenger side in front of trailer wheel. Lucky that I saw this when I was looking for rodent entry on the undercarriage. New issue.

3. Cracks in the four corners of the microwave surround. This issue Kyle was aware of and was included in the list that I gave you in August.

4. The ceiling outlet for the fan/light component in the front berth does not work. Original issue, Kyle was aware and was included in the list that I gave you in August.

5. There was an electrical short that Kyle fixed, but he said that the heated mattress in the front berth would not work and needed a new something. Not certain exactly what the problem/solution is.

6. The standard plastic undercarriage protection has torn away from the frame on the passenger side, leaving big gaps for rodents to enter. This occurred the first time I traveled with water.

7. To me, this unit has excessive sway. I installed a Curt anti sway bar, but that did not eliminate the problem. To me, the passenger side tire seems out of plumb, canting inward at the top. I have no idea if the tires are supposed to have a cant, but I thought that I had better mention it now.

8. I also just noticed that the electrical junction box on the tongue is a residential non water tight box. this seems pretty substandard to me

NOW I understand the Lippert (frame manufacturer) is sending a tech to repair the crack in the frame. This is unacceptable to me, and I sent the following:

You know, with the issues that I have with this unit, I think that the factory either willfully or negligently provided a defective unit. In all fairness, I think that they should either provide a new unit in its entirety, or buy this unit back from me for what I paid.

So you veteran forum members, think I will get any satisfaction? Wife is livid that we bought a new unit and has all these issues, love to hear some thoughts/ suggestions.

-------------------------------------------------

2016 Forest River A122 BH
2005 Tundra Limited
ddeanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:31 AM   #2

Its hard to give an opinion not knowing the entire story. Your title says off road if you are taking this rig in an area I would call off road I would fully expect things to break. If by off road you mean off the pavement then the problems are way more then one would expect.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #3
Site Team

First, this trailer is not built for true off-road usage.
Second, have you checked your Ram's owners manual, regarding needing a WDH with sway control, not just an anti-sway bar?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:35 PM   #4

Thanks for your observations.

This unit is and "Off Road" Edition, which basically means a little higher clearance with 15" tires. My actual off road excursions are on gravel forest service or BLM roads, roads that are wash-boarded, driven at reasonable speeds. The oven and range fell apart on I70, coming home from Grand Mesa. Yes, the problems are way more that I expected. I have had a Coleman pop-up, and a Forest River A frame, taken to the same and similar places. Never had a problem,

The suggestion concerning a WDH is a good one, one that I had brought up with my dealer on several occasions. Always the response was that it was overkill for this unit. The trailer hitch weight and GVWR are well below my Ram's capabilities. THat being said, a WDH is definitely in my future.

Am I being unreasonable to expect better customer service from Palomino?

2005 Tundra Limited
Old 11-24-2020, 03:40 PM   #5

Examples of my off road excursions..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8196.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	518.4 KB
ID:	243576   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8197.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	243577  

2005 Tundra Limited
Old 11-24-2020, 04:13 PM   #6
Site Team

Off-Road in the regular RV Industry is a questionable marketing term, just like Arctic/Extreme Weather packages. Other than the lift kit and taller tires, the trailer is basically no different than the non-Off Road version. There is no extra strengthening done.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 11-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #7

Well Dan, I fully agree with you about the Off Road "extras" being pretty minimal. I guess I am sorry that I brought it up since it seems to have clouded the issue. I firmly believe that the problems that I am having are not the result of off roading, but of careless workmanship. Perhaps a result of rushed assembly after factory covid closure.

2005 Tundra Limited
Old 11-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeanb View Post
Perhaps a result of rushed assembly after factory covid closure.
Well, that definitely would be, at least partially responsible. Many of us seasoned RVers are telling friends/family members NOT to buy a RV right now and wait till next year, when there will be a glut of barely used RVs for sale.