Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #1

Damaged door... warranty???

So we headed to camp this past Friday, headed home tomorrow. Anyways I get to camp, check in, drive to the water fill station and as I walk around the camper I see the gas shock attached to the door is hanging by a thread. Above the door is fine, on the door the screws ripped out. One hole is not bad bit one cracked the fiberglass pretty bad.

I have a RV forever warranty, good forever as long as I do an annual maintenance. Fingers crossed this is covered
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Keep us posted.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:33 AM   #3

Step one - called warranty company who stated this is not covered. The book and the guy on the phone stated "interior and exterior components covered: door handles, latches and springs" but the gas strut or gas shock (what ever it is called) ripping off and cracking the door does not fall under those three things.

for all other coverage areas (suspension, brakes, water, A/c, LP gas, Kitchen, heating and more) there are more lengthy lists, but really for interior and exterior your only going to cover 3 things???

Think i will call and talk to the dealer where i got the unit and warranty. maybe they can fight for me a little.

if not i might try to fix myself some how but i can see the cracks getting worse. probably will need to take to a shop to either fix the fiberglass first or possible need a new door.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:38 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Photos?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #5

sorry didnt take any, i can after work tonight. gas shock was attached to the top of the door. It has a angled piece of metal, one flat side attached to the door with two screws going through the metal trim around the door and into the fiberglass. not sure if there was anything behind the fiberglass. gotta get the ladder out to inspect closer.

one screw basic just striped straight out. The other kind of ripped down through the metal door trim and cracked the fiberglass. crack and hole is maybe about one inch.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:53 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Did you hit something? (tree limb?)
Not sure I understand how the gas shock was 'hanging by a thread' if the door wasn't opened too far or you hit something.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #7

My TT came with that too. Never had the first $200 " inspection". I figured there would be more holes in that warranty than a piece of aged swiss
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Did you hit something? (tree limb?)
Not sure I understand how the gas shock was 'hanging by a thread' if the door wasn't opened too far or you hit something.
to my knowledge i didn't hit anything. 90% of my drive that day was on a 4 lane highway. the rest was down a few back roads and county roads. my brother was in front of me with a much larger 5th wheel than my hybrid. at any bridge or tree i was watching to see if he hit anything, which he never did, if he cleared i should have too. Never heard anything and i inspected the camper before we headed out.

so i am with you, no idea how this happened. my only thought is from the main park gate to the registration office the road was really rough. could have been during that.

just emailed the guy who was my salesman last year and is now the parts department manager. hoping the dealer can talk to the warranty company, or maybe the dealer or manufacture will do something for me.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
My TT came with that too. Never had the first $200 " inspection". I figured there would be more holes in that warranty than a piece of aged swiss
my inspection cost me $80 and i was able to go to a local dealer rather than where i bought it a few hours away. All warranties have holes but the big appliance stuff seems to be covered good here, just not the small stuff. If nothing else the inspection i had did find a small hole in the roof i didnt see, so warranty aside the hole may have never been noticed and could have cost a ton in the future.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpa098 View Post
So we headed to camp this past Friday, headed home tomorrow. Anyways I get to camp, check in, drive to the water fill station and as I walk around the camper I see the gas shock attached to the door is hanging by a thread. Above the door is fine, on the door the screws ripped out. One hole is not bad bit one cracked the fiberglass pretty bad.

I have a RV forever warranty, good forever as long as I do an annual maintenance. Fingers crossed this is covered
Plate both sides and run Bolts and place nuts on the inside! It will be easier than what they are going to put you through! Fac running screws into VERY THIN door Skin is asking for Failure! Youroo!!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #11

Quote:
If nothing else the inspection i had did find a small hole in the roof i didnt see, so warranty aside the hole may have never been noticed and could have cost a ton in the future.
You found a hole in your roof and that "warranty" covered it, or did that dealer repair it for a small fee? Warranties usually cover parts breakage. Prolly no 'wear and tear' coverage. So, if a part wears out and ultimately fails you're on your own. The OP is right about lots of 'holes' in the coverage. Don't believe the bs of a 'forever' warranty. They are only as good as the company that underwrites them. Companies fold, get bought or simply dissolve.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
You found a hole in your roof and that "warranty" covered it, or did that dealer repair it for a small fee? Warranties usually cover parts breakage. Prolly no 'wear and tear' coverage. So, if a part wears out and ultimately fails you're on your own. The OP is right about lots of 'holes' in the coverage. Don't believe the bs of a 'forever' warranty. They are only as good as the company that underwrites them. Companies fold, get bought or simply dissolve.
the local dealer charged me $80 to do the annual maintenance inspection to keep the warranty live. during his inspections of all the seals/caulk he found a hole in the roof (maybe a branch hit it) and he sealed it up and was no extra charge. If i didnt have to have the inspection done for the warranty i probably wouldnt have and that hole would not have been found and cost leak damage. So glad i had a warranty making me get the inspection.

in regards to the warranty, i opted out of adding it to my deal, i typically dont buy warranties, but when signing my final papers and picking up my unit, the sales manager (old friend) tossed the warranty in for me at no charge.... so i will keep getting the annual inspection. it will be a good piece of mind and if the warranty ever covers something, great.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Plate both sides and run Bolts and place nuts on the inside! It will be easier than what they are going to put you through! Fac running screws into VERY THIN door Skin is asking for Failure! Youroo!!
that is kind of what i was thinking for a fix if i have to do it on my own. but if i can save my free time and have a local repair center fix it under warranty that is what i would prefer.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #14

Here's a couple pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1470257940457.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	116204   Click image for larger version

Name:	1470257957015.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	116205  
Old 08-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #15
Site Team

I have to ask out of curiosity but what is the purpose of the strut on the door? Seems like it would hinder it from opening completely.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I have to ask out of curiosity but what is the purpose of the strut on the door? Seems like it would hinder it from opening completely.

That's the point entirely. Most likely to keep it from hitting an awning support.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:16 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
That's the point entirely. Most likely to keep it from hitting an awning support.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

I concur

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "22"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #18

It's not needed I guess. I can completely open right now and it clears the awning support arms. Although I'd need a latch to keep it open and away from water heater vent. When I got the unit I hated the strut as it slowed the opening of the door, but once use to it I love having it
Old 08-03-2016, 06:16 PM   #19

Also prevents the door from slamming open or closed
Old 08-04-2016, 06:18 AM   #20

Quote:
It's not needed I guess. I can completely open right now and it clears the awning support arms. Although I'd need a latch to keep it open and away from water heater vent. When I got the unit I hated the strut as it slowed the opening of the door, but once use to it I love having it
Not Needed? That is what other Members have thought,they Open the door when the Awning is UP then they try to Close the Awning with the door OPEN and Bend/Destroy the arms! Same thing applies for Step assist Handles turned the Wrong way trying to put awning away! The Shocks are needed,just mounted WEAK for a Main Door Area! Youroo!! PS Step Handles turned the wrong way can also be Death to Some slides also!

Tags
door, warranty