Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
Member
 
Jennifer9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 64
Forest River - Palomino Recall 15V-156

So I unfortunately got a strange letter in the mail a few days ago letting us know there is a safety defect in some SolAire trailers manufactured between July 2014 - August 2014. Ours has a manufacture date of 6/27/2014 but our VIN is included in the Recall Notice.

It says the following:

"The trailer may have been manufactured without the exterior furnace vent, which allows the exhaust to be vented into the trailer posing a high risk of carbon monoxide exposure and a potential for a fire to take place inside the trailer at the location of the furnace which may not be easily accessible during and emergency. The lack of a vent on the exterior of the trailer also violates the furnace manufacturers installation instructions."

So - we are picking up the camper this evening to go on a weekend trip but I have been worrying over this since we got the letter. I am 99% sure we have an exterior vent on ours but I am doubting myself now...thinking that what I am seeing is not what they are referring too?

I attached this picture I found and I think what I see is the furnace vent but I would appreciate it if y'all could take a look as well.

Later in the letter it says that if the dealer inspects the trailer and sees a furnace vent, they are just to take a picture of it and advise Forest River of the VIN. We live a few hours from the dealer so rather than haul it up there just to take a picture, I thought I would check with your knowledge base first.

Here is the picture....I had to zoom in so it is not that clear. And like I said, we are picking it up tonight so I will get a better picture then as well.

Thank you!
__________________

__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2015 Solaire 163X
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 High Country
2009 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
Jennifer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,484
No picture

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
__________________

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,101
I don't think the pictures got attached.
__________________
Ontario

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #4
Member
 
Jennifer9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 64
Here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141026_163113-1-1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	72712  
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2015 Solaire 163X
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 High Country
2009 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
Jennifer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #5
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
The metal vent to the right of your outside shower is for your vent. Now, the question becomes, is the vent hooked up? Just because there's one the exterior that doesn't mean everything's alright on the inside.

You'll have to open the cabinet, bench or whatever it is you have on the inside where that furnace is located and confirm it goes to that vent you see on the outside.




Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
The metal vent to the right of your outside shower is for your vent. Now, the question becomes, is the vent hooked up? Just because there's one the exterior that doesn't mean everything's alright on the inside.

You'll have to open the cabinet, bench or whatever it is you have on the inside where that furnace is located and confirm it goes to that vent you see on the outside.
I don't think you can see anything from the inside. On mine, I had to remove the outside vent to see it, and it is a major PITA to remove if it is connected. I would imagine, if it isn't connected, the outside cover will come off very easily once you break the caulking loose.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10,549
Send a message via AIM to B and B
If the vent blows hot air and if you block the inlet air on the bottom I would assume it is connected correctly.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Stormrider151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South East
Posts: 992
If you can get your hands on an inspection camera it may fit in the vent and you can see if it's connected that.
__________________
Retired Fire Dept Battalion Chief
2016 Ever-Lite 232RBS
2012 F150 FX4 W/Max tow & Ecoboost (Best tv ever)
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #9
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I don't think you can see anything from the inside. On mine, I had to remove the outside vent to see it, and it is a major PITA to remove if it is connected. I would imagine, if it isn't connected, the outside cover will come off very easily once you break the caulking loose.

On my Flagstaff it's under the dinette bench. Real easy to lift the bench and see if there's something between the unit and the outside vent. But that's just my trailer. I'd hate to try to do this if it was, say, under the fridge or something.




Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 360
Sounds like a good reason for a backup CO detector.
Cars and RVs, neither one sends out problem notices until something bad happens.
__________________
DJsFolly
D. J. Schuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #11
Member
 
Jennifer9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 64
Thanks everyone. I believe where the vent is located on the outside corresponds to an area under the couch inside if I remember correctly, and there is an access door there as well.

I will check it tonight and see what I can find.

We used the camper in the fall and used the furnace the whole time as it was pretty cold that weekend. We didn't have any issues so I hope we dodged a bullet here and that our camper was manufactured properly.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2015 Solaire 163X
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 High Country
2009 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
Jennifer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #12
Factory Representative
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer9 View Post
Thanks everyone. I believe where the vent is located on the outside corresponds to an area under the couch inside if I remember correctly, and there is an access door there as well.

I will check it tonight and see what I can find.

We used the camper in the fall and used the furnace the whole time as it was pretty cold that weekend. We didn't have any issues so I hope we dodged a bullet here and that our camper was manufactured properly.
Jennifer, thanks for the forum message, as for some background on this recall, there were very few units that left without a furnace vent. In fact up to this point, and we are 99% sure at this point, only 1 single unit that we produced left without a furnace vent, which is 1 too many, but in order to be safe we included many VIN numbers before and after this defective unit was produced. I looked at your picture and you do have a furnace vent, it's the metal vent to the right of the outside shower as the knowledgeable forum members have already pointed out to you. I am also not aware of any vents that were ever hooked up incorrectly. But for peace of mind, I would probably want to check that just like you are doing. Hope that helps a little

Have fun and make some great memories on your first trip

Any questions feel free to call us direct 1-800-297-5830 extension 4
Palomino Pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #13
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
On my Flagstaff it's under the dinette bench. Real easy to lift the bench and see if there's something between the unit and the outside vent. But that's just my trailer. I'd hate to try to do this if it was, say, under the fridge or something.
Mine is under the stove/oven in a compartment just tall and wide enough for the furnace. A real PITA to get to an remove which I did to rewire the blower. Also had to go thru another compartment to get the propane line disconnected.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #14
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Mine is under the stove/oven in a compartment just tall and wide enough for the furnace. A real PITA to get to an remove which I did to rewire the blower. Also had to go thru another compartment to get the propane line disconnected.

Yep, that's what I would call a PITA.

Thankfully, from PP's post it seems this was a very isolated incident. I appreciate that despite there only being one incident, they're still checking a large range of trailers, just to be sure.




Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palomino Pal View Post
Jennifer, thanks for the forum message, as for some background on this recall, there were very few units that left without a furnace vent. In fact up to this point, and we are 99% sure at this point, only 1 single unit that we produced left without a furnace vent, which is 1 too many, but in order to be safe we included many VIN numbers before and after this defective unit was produced. I looked at your picture and you do have a furnace vent, it's the metal vent to the right of the outside shower as the knowledgeable forum members have already pointed out to you. I am also not aware of any vents that were ever hooked up incorrectly. But for peace of mind, I would probably want to check that just like you are doing. Hope that helps a little

Have fun and make some great memories on your first trip

Any questions feel free to call us direct 1-800-297-5830 extension 4
Jennifer - hoping you see this. We just had the exact same repair done on my 2015 Vibe. There was no vent at all. The detector went off last fall and we brought it in and no one noticed. They sent it back saying it was okay. We turned the heat on and the detector went off. They figured out the problem today. It might be worth a recall for the Vibe also.
__________________

Lm2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
forest river, palomino, recall

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.


×