Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 09:54 PM   #1

Newbie Owner 147x

We just bought our first camper, the 147x, and couldn't be more excited. After hopping on here and seeing some of the issues other owners have had with this model and other Palominos, I am now concerned we made a poor choice. I am also concerned that our choice of TV isn't going to be enough. We have a 2008 Dodge Dakota extended cab. The dealer and we both went over the max weights but I am still concerned. A lot of the numbers started running together and now that the excitement is over, I hope we made the right decision. Any tips or advice for a newbie?
burntcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:00 AM   #2

First tip is don't immediately worry because you read these forums. All models have lemons and it will be amplified on here because people are more likely to vent or seek help when they have issues. You already made your decision so enjoy it.

The weight concerns are another matter. What type of hitch are you using and what is the payload and tow capacity of the truck?
Old 06-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #3

Hi,
Here are the specs on the truck. GVWR 6010, Payload 1830, GCWR 9300, max trailer is 4750.
Not sure about the hitch, just that it appears to be after-market and is attached to the frame of the truck. The dealer is doing some re-wiring since the wiring harness we have is not compatible with the trailer (which we were told we could leave it if we wanted it, but it wouldn't be the safest).

Thanks,
Miranda
Old 06-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntcore View Post
Hi,
Here are the specs on the truck. GVWR 6010, Payload 1830, GCWR 9300, max trailer is 4750.
Not sure about the hitch, just that it appears to be after-market and is attached to the frame of the truck. The dealer is doing some re-wiring since the wiring harness we have is not compatible with the trailer (which we were told we could leave it if we wanted it, but it wouldn't be the safest).

Thanks,
Miranda
sounds like your Dakota didn't have the factory tow package, so your numbers may be wrong.
a truck with the factory tow package, would NOT have an aftermarket receiver nor need the wiring to be modified.

it may not have the wiring for a brake controller, a trans cooler and towing rear end ratio that the factory tow package provides, along with the hitch receiver and 7-pin wiring connector.

when RooVader asked about the hitch, he was talking about a WDH, not a hitch RECEIVER which what you responded with.

you'll need a WDH and a brake controller to tow that trailer.

and i agree that your fears are probably unfounded as forums like these attract those with problems. and that's on any RV forum and all brands have those types of posters.

the majority of RV owners are happy but rarely post something like:

"I have a xxxx RV and i don't have any issues!"
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #5

So would not having the factory tow package be a good thing or a bad thing? Could the towing capacity go down?
Old 06-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
So would not having the factory tow package be a good thing or a bad thing? Could the towing capacity go down?
BAD thing and yes, the towing capacity will go down.
the 2008 Dodge Towing Guide lists 5 different versions of the Dakota extended cab. not knowing which one it is nor if it's 4x4, nor is it auto or manual prevents me from getting the exact numbers.

here's a link:

Dodge Towing Guide - By Vehicle
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #7

Ours is the SXT 4x4 automatic, short bed. We are assuming the hitch is aftermarket but we aren't 100% as we bought the truck used. I apologize if we are sounding like complete noobs.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #8

Is this it?

2008 DODGE DAKOTA EXTENDED CAB SXT, EXTENDED CAB, 4WD, 6.25 Ft Bed, 4-Spd. Automatic VLP 42RLE Trans, 3.7L V6 Engine:

With 3.92 Axle Ratio Axle Ratio You Can Tow 4650 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) = 6010 lbs
Payload = 1524 lbs
Curb Weight = 4486 lbs
Curb Weight Front/Rear = 2649 lbs/2649 lbs
GAWR Front/Rear = 2649 lbs/1837 lbs
Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) = 9300 lbs

This shows cargo as 1524# as you can see. The last thing you need is wrong information. You need to get the WDH properly set up and all component built for those weights... hitch, ball, chains, everything.

Then load it, just as you would when getting ready to go camping (or just go camping!)... fuel (gas tank and propane full) people, food, clothes, toys, dogs, a litte fresh water (in the tank or jug), no firewood, no pantry full of baked beans...but pack what you need but only what you will need... I don't know you, so I might sound like and idiot tellling you all this (I don't just sound like one!). So, find a CAT scale and know what your rig weighs.

Once you get there and you've okayed it you will pull onto the scale three times.... with everyone in the vehicle. I probably would pull unto the scale first with WDH in place... stopping so steer, drive and trailer axles on their own scale section; although with WDH doesn't give you the information you really need to know, it is good information as we will see. Then pull off, disconnect WDH, but leave bars on the trailer A frame so they get weighed and get back on the scale just like the first time and ask for another weigh. Fiinally, pull off, unhook from the trailer and pull back on with Dakota only with steer and drive on separate section and again ask for the weight (you might have to take a stick to push the "call" button, by the way).

Let us know when you get that done and what the weights are. You can take a picture and post would be nice.

Then we will compare the numbers to the capacities and hopefully give you the peace of mind that we all need.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #9

Congrats on your 147x and welcome to the forum! Nice to see another one join the club.

We have had our 147x for almost 2 years with very few issues and couldn't be happier with ours, so don't worry about everything you read.

As bikendan said, get a weight distribution hitch and brake controller and you should be fine with your truck.

We are rated at 5200 lbs with our SUV here at elevation in Colorado and tow in the mountains just fine.
2011 Chevy Traverse (traded 2018)
2014 Solaire 147X (traded 2019)
RamsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Ours is the SXT 4x4 automatic, short bed. We are assuming the hitch is aftermarket but we aren't 100% as we bought the truck used. I apologize if we are sounding like complete noobs.
If it didn't come with a 7- pin connector and the receiver has an aftermarket brand name, it probably doesn't have the factory tow package.
Take the VIN to a Dodge dealer and they should be able to tell you if it did or not.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:14 PM   #11

Bikendan completely summed up what I was trying to say. That dealer should have pushed a WDH on you but do some research and get a good one...they make everything safer and simpler.

Tags