Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #21

1. follow WMTire recommendations and read the info
2. Have electrical correct problem
3. Plug in and test all your circuits using normal hookup
4. Let the forum know what you find.
5. purchase a multi meter for testing future plug in's
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #22

I can't offer any relevant input but I wanted to wish you luck. I read this thread with my heart in my stomach! I hope for you that the damage is minimal and easily fixed!
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:10 PM   #23

Books to have

1st off, I did have a bad A/C unit on my Forester Motorhome that had to be replaced soon after I bought it.

However, I know the joys of plugging into 220 vs 110 on that motorhome a few months later. You will probably have to reset your overload button on the refrigerator also. (had to change out my converter too)

Two books I found to be very educational in this area are:

"Understanding Your RV's Shorepower" 120 Volt Electricity - A Primer
by Dale Lee Summer

"Managing 12 Volts" How to upgrade, operate and troubleshoot 12 volt electrical systes by Harold Barre

There is a wealth of information in both of these and I would suggest any RV owner have them. Happy Camping
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #24

This might be a dumb question, but does your unit have an electric fireplace? If so there should be a switch where you can only operate the a.c. if the switch is in the up poirion and the fireplace only when the switech is in the down poition.
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdking1976 View Post
Q1) If I plug the camper into a 15/20amp standard plugin, using a 30amp to 20amp dog-bone and test things like recepticles and radio and etc...does this mean that the invertor is ok?
No, not necessarily. The outlets, microwave and possibly other appliances like the TV run on 120V AC. If they work then at least those have survived. The converter takes 120V input and converts it to 12V DC to charge the battery and power the 12V side of the trailer, lights, water pump, fans etc.. Disconnect the battery and see if the lights still work.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #26

It is interesting that you said to disconnect the battery... I had a battery disconnect installed before leaving the dealership. When I was connected to the wrong 240v 30amp service the lights would not work unless the battery was in the on position. Which I thought was weird because it should have worked without the battery.

So when I correct the breaker issue and reconnect to shore power, the lights should be working when the battery disconnect is in the off position, correct?
kdking1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
This might be a dumb question, but does your unit have an electric fireplace? If so there should be a switch where you can only operate the a.c. if the switch is in the up poirion and the fireplace only when the switech is in the down poition.
No hybrid TT has a fireplace, unless an owner installs one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #28

Quote:
It is interesting that you said to disconnect the battery... I had a battery disconnect installed before leaving the dealership. When I was connected to the wrong 240v 30amp service the lights would not work unless the battery was in the on position. Which I thought was weird because it should have worked without the battery.

So when I correct the breaker issue and reconnect to shore power, the lights should be working when the battery disconnect is in the off position, correct?
The lights should work then, but they won't if the converter is blown. The lights are 12 volt and they get their energy either from the battery or from the converter stepping down the 120 volt to 12 volts.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #29
Site Team

kdking, What Surveyor hybrid do you have?
It's not listed in your profile.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
kdking, What Surveyor hybrid do you have?
It's not listed in your profile.
Sorry, it is a Hybrid the 192T model.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:14 PM   #31
Site Team

As mentioned above.
Use your 30A to 15A adapter, plug the unit into a known good house 15A outlet preferably with no GFCI.
Check One at a Time:
Microwave
Television
outlets in TT.
These are 110V AC.
If they work they should be OK
Turn battery disconnect off ( storage position)
Check
Radio
Lights
There are other 12V appliances, but if they were not on when you connected to the mis-wired socket they should be OK
If radio and lights do not work, then change battery disconnect to on.
Check lights and radio. They should work.
Turn everything off then try AC. Depending on the length of the power cable, it ,may try to to start, but shut down. If it does this stop and do not try again until you have the 30A outlet set up correctly. If it tries to start, you may be OK once you get the proper setup.
Good Luck. This is a minor setback and you will be back in business soon.
Bob

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #32

UPDATE:
I had an electrician to come by and wire in the correct 120v single pole 30amp breaker.

I am getting the correct volts to the all the breakers in the camper. All the fuses seem to be ok.

The 12v stuff such as lights, thermostats, and etc will not work without the batteries turned on. So maybe the invertor has been damaged.

The air conditioner did work and the compressor did kick in when testing it on the new electrical hookup. (With batteries on for thermostat)

Also the control board on top of the Fridge works and the light in the fridge works. (I can't remember if I checked this with or without the batteries on, sorry)

I plan on calling the dealership and begging for newbie mercy tomorrow.

Thank you everyone!
Old 09-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
UPDATE:

The 12v stuff such as lights, thermostats, and etc will not work without the batteries turned on. So maybe the invertor has been damaged.

. . . .

Thank you everyone!
I assume you mean CONverter instead of inverter. Your converter "changes" 110v electricity to 12 volts for operating all your 12v stuff - LEDs, thermostats, control boards, etc. An inverter "changes" 12v battery power into 110v.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
As mentioned above.
Use your 30A to 15A adapter, plug the unit into a known good house 15A outlet preferably with no GFCI.
Check One at a Time:
Microwave
Television
outlets in TT.
These are 110V AC.
If they work they should be OK
Turn battery disconnect off ( storage position)
Check
Radio
Lights
There are other 12V appliances, but if they were not on when you connected to the mis-wired socket they should be OK
If radio and lights do not work, then change battery disconnect to on.
Check lights and radio. They should work.
Turn everything off then try AC. Depending on the length of the power cable, it ,may try to to start, but shut down. If it does this stop and do not try again until you have the 30A outlet set up correctly. If it tries to start, you may be OK once you get the proper setup.
Good Luck. This is a minor setback and you will be back in business soon.
Bob
Thanks Bob,

I sort of did this kind of check. See below for the update of what I have done so far.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I assume you mean CONverter instead of inverter. Your converter "changes" 110v electricity to 12 volts for operating all your 12v stuff - LEDs, thermostats, control boards, etc. An inverter "changes" 12v battery power into 110v.
Thank you! I've been trying to figure out if it is called an invertor or convertor. Thx! I am a true newbie.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
UPDATE:

As Dan pointed out, it's the con-verter that we are talking about. I doubt that your RV has an inverter (unless you have a large battery bank)

If you click on the links I posted in post #15 above, it will explain your damaged converter and it's function of providing power to,the 12 volt Dc items when plugged into shore power...as well as recharging your battery.

As many of these 240 volt threads as I have participated in, I've never seen one yet that the converter was not damaged and needed replacing/or overhauled.

Your television and microwave are your next two items damaged many times, but are hit and miss. They may or may not be OK.

I would just prepare for a converter, and depending on what you had originally, this could be the opportunity to replace it with a better one.

Glad to see you got the power outlet fixed. Hope your damage is only a converter.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:40 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you! I've been trying to figure out if it is called an invertor or convertor. Thx! I am a true newbie.
Right... see posts #9 and #25.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
The below is a copy and paste, and I usually recommend it to those just starting out. Some of it, you may already know, or may not be applicable to your particular RV. You will be able to filter out what pertains to your situation or not. I would suggest you read the electric threads and energy management first, and then the converter thread. This will help explain your different electrical systems of your RV, and how they operate...as well as what the converter does. The very first link will explain what operates off what system.

You can just peruse at your leisure:

Basic electric:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Electric

Your very important converter:

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Suburban water heater (if applicable to your RV):

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post327988

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1527599

Water Heater bypass/crossover valves:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

And the newest addition to help understand what constitutes a true full cylinder in refilling vs exchanging propane cylinders

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-133760.html

Hope this helps.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The below is a copy and paste, and I usually recommend it to those just starting out. Some of it, you may already know, or may not be applicable to your particular RV. You will be able to filter out what pertains to your situation or not. I would suggest you read the electric threads and energy management first, and then the converter thread. This will help explain your different electrical systems of your RV, and how they operate...as well as what the converter does. The very first link will explain what operates off what system.

You can just peruse at your leisure:

Basic electric:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Electric

Your very important converter:

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Suburban water heater (if applicable to your RV):

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post327988

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1527599

Water Heater bypass/crossover valves:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

And the newest addition to help understand what constitutes a true full cylinder in refilling vs exchanging propane cylinders

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-133760.html

Hope this helps.
Thank you!
Old 09-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
As Dan pointed out, it's the con-verter that we are talking about. I doubt that your RV has an inverter (unless you have a large battery bank)

If you click on the links I posted in post #15 above, it will explain your damaged converter and it's function of providing power to,the 12 volt Dc items when plugged into shore power...as well as recharging your battery.

As many of these 240 volt threads as I have participated in, I've never seen one yet that the converter was not damaged and needed replacing/or overhauled.

Your television and microwave are your next two items damaged many times, but are hit and miss. They may or may not be OK.

I would just prepare for a converter, and depending on what you had originally, this could be the opportunity to replace it with a better one.

Glad to see you got the power outlet fixed. Hope your damage is only a converter. [emoji106]
Thank you so much. We do not have a TV in the camper, so that is a positive.
I am calling the dealership tomorrow and we will go from there.
With you experience what would a covertor cost?

Tags
air conditioner, camper