Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #1

New-to-me 2004 Surveyor SV190T

Just picked up a new to me Surveyor and am brand new to campers. Any tips, feedback, etc. would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Jamey
vjdotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 2004 Surveyor.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jamey, and congrats to you on your new trailer.

My best advice to a new owner is to relax and try to have fun as you are learning about your new camper. But ... do take the time to learn your systems, use your manuals and ask other campers for help when needed (this is key at a campground the first few trips you make). Finally, plan extra time for everything until it becomes second nature.

As for specific tips, I suggest starting with the following:

• Read through the various threads in the Hybrid section to get a feel on what to expect. Feel free to post any questions.
  • If you are in a warmer part of the country right now, then set up and camp a night or two in your driveway before going to a park. This experience will help you to get used to the various systems - water, heating, cooling, stove/oven - and the various procedures for your Surveyor.
  • Tow your Surveyor to an empty parking lot and practice cornering, backing up and general awareness of how your tow vehicle and trailer work together. Learn how to use your side mirrors.
  • Its good to start a checklist of sorts that will help you to set-up and take-down your camper. You can search the site for lists that people have made to help them but I think its best to create your own departure and arrival checklists.

If you are interested in getting a head start on some maintenance items, then the following is good ...

• Locate all of your manuals if you got them with the purchase or download them so you have these handy when you camp. We have many manuals in our Files area. Many people newish to camping in a trailer have questions regarding the water heater, furnace, and electrical systems so those are good places to start. When problems occur (as they inevitably do) it will help you tremendously to have at least a passing familiarity with these systems.
  • One of the most important items with any trailer, but especially an older model, is to check the sealing on the roof and outside walls. Climb onto the roof and inspect all seams, gaskets, and any place where the roof material has been cut or drilled. Bring some LAP sealant with you (Dicor will work) and apply the sealant as needed.
  • Locate all of your fuses. You have a fuse panel near your converter and you probably have an inline fuse between the battery and the converter. Make sure you have spare fuses before your first trip (just in case).
  • Did you get a new battery? Read this on how to maintain it. Read the 12-Volt Side of Life to help you become familiar with your power system.

Forgive me for being long-winded, but you did ask for tips and I think these are a good start

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
Site Team

first, get Popup Gizmos or the generic equivalent. it's the #1 Hybrid Mod.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan
first, get Popup Gizmos or the generic equivalent. it's the #1 Hybrid Mod.
X1
Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #6

Thx for all the feedback.

I've looked at the Gizmos and have seen them on other campers. I can see some benefit, but I'm surprised they help as much as everyone says without covering the sides of the canvas too.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjdotson View Post

I've looked at the Gizmos and have seen them on other campers. I can see some benefit, but I'm surprised they help as much as everyone says without covering the sides of the canvas too.
The Gizmos definitely help keep the camper cooler. You can also use Refectix inserts for the windows for really hot temps.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #8

I camped in the early spring last year and the Gizmos kept the sap from falling directly onto the canvas. It was much easier cleaning the Gizmos rather than the canvas.
electrician549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjdotson

They made a 15 degree cooler difference in our popup. I have not cold weather camp yet, but I understand that they help keep the heat in as well.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #10

I'll probably look into making some out of the Cabela's blankets.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjdotson View Post
I'll probably look into making some out of the Cabela's blankets.
Congrats on the camper. I went the homemade route, as well, and they just don't hold up like the gizmos. I highly recommend spending a few extra bucks for the real thing. The fit is better, they have integrated bungies, and they hold up very well.
2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
ddemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #12

Congrats on your new camper and welcome to the forums!

I would add to the advice above:
  • Have at least two lengths of sewer hose and fittings.
  • Keep at least 50 ft of potable water hose.
  • Keep a utility hose (separate from your potable water hose) for rinsing your sewer hoses, cleanup around the camper, etc.
  • Get a 30A to 50A adapter in case you are in a campground with 50A only. (I've run into that before.)
  • You'll need several odds and ends pieces of boards or a pack of Lynx Levelers for leveling your rig at the campsite. I like the Lynx Levelers just because of ease of storage.
  • Keep plenty of sewer drop-ins or bottles of sewer treatment and RV toilet paper on hand. Trust me, the better job you do rinsing and treating your black and gray water tanks, the happier your camping experience will be. I learned this the hard way with my first camper. I have tornado type rinse systems in both of my black tanks on my current camper, but you can get a decent rinse filling and dumping.
  • Make sure you got wheel chocks of some type. I recommend the X-chocks, they're the bomb. But, any type of chock will work fine. Make sure you have the thing level and chocked before you unhook from your tow vehicle.
You'll learn a little more each time you take it out. Like the poster above said, don't be afraid to ask other campers for advice at the campground. Trust me, we RVers love to talk and help one another out.

Good luck, and hope you have many wonderful years of camping!
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

For a wonderful and carefree camping experience:

1) Use the Herk itemized camper loading guide to stock your camper

or

2) Always camp next to Herk

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #14

I actually picked up some used gizmos from this forum, can't wait to get to use them!