Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #1

Surveyor quality?

My wife and I are shopping for a new travel trailer and ran across a 30' bumper pull Surveyor. I am not familiar with Forest River and am wondering how the Surveyor stacks up against the rest of the industry as far as quality, workmanship, customer service, etc. I really like the fiberglass exterior and can live with the floor plan, although I would change a few things if it were possible. Please post you experiences. Thank you.
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:03 PM   #2

to FRF!

Forest River has pretty good quality compared with other manufactures. All RVs will have issues from low end to high end. You need to be proactive in inspection of fit and finish and quality of the particular unit you are looking at.

Keep us posted as to how it goes.

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:41 PM   #3

The particular unit we are looking at is a NEW '06 Surveyor SV 291. It apparently was purchased at on on-line FEMA auction, but has never been slept in. It's is like no FEMA trailer I've ever seen. It is very nicely appointed and has all the amenities you'd expect. (awning, slide-out, refridg/freezer, microwave, stove, 19" TV/DVD, etc) My main concern is the slide-out. On this model it appears to be very shallow according to the floor-plan image on the FR web site. Another thing I don't care for is that the appliances are in the slide out as opposed to the dining/living area. It seems to me that having the appliances and their water and power supplies moving around independently is not the best design. What do yall think about it?
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #4

Jeff - Be careful as some of the FEMA trailers were made for direct plumbing and do not have holding tanks. Be sure to check before you buy.
Tekonsha P3
Equal-i-zer
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #5

We just purchased an '07 SV291 and we love it. We were particularly sold on the shallow slideout. We had weight concerns, but wanted the space of a slide and this fit the bill nicely. So far, it has been great. We bought late October and just got one long weekend trip in. Everything worked fine although you really need to go over it. I found a few things that were goofed up from the factory. The fresh water inlet at the tank was never tightened and the only reason I found out was when I overfilled the tank. Also, some of the cupboard screws were not tight. These are minor things and I hope they are the only things bad. Good Luck
gregm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #6

We just took delivery of an 08 Surveyor 291 and love it.

No major issues so far. The shallow slide with sink and stove have a really good setup to slide in and out without damaging the hoses.

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #7

The letters " SS " after the model numder means " Supper Slide " the slide out is 4' deep which makes the camper 12' wide in the area of the slide out, I heard that the shallow type is called a bump out slide, because it is not as deep. The SS models make a big differance and as far as the weight go's between the two slide out models, I don't think it is a hole lot more.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

235RKS has been great

One season. 20 nights out. 4,000 miles.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
75RANG.BATT.

Send a message via Yahoo to vkdrums
i have to correct 06rockwood ss does stand for superslide its 36 inches deep a standered slide or shallow slide is 16 inches a bump or toe stubber is a slide out that has a step then u have a flush slide out no step
vkdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:50 AM   #10

We have the 2007 Surveyor SV291 and have owned it since Aug.'07. We really love this Camper! the Slide out is the perfect size for us. We haven't had any problems with any of the plumbing or gas lines in the almost 2 years we've had it and we take her out at least twice a month, 10 months out of the year. In fact, we are still using the propane that was in the tanks when we picked the trailer up from the dealer. A small Ceramic heater keeps it nice and warm in cold weather. I can see us keeping this camper a very long time.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #11

With ya

Dilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #12

Go to another company

Forest River-- not good to deal with. View my posting on faulty axles!!

chicks
chicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor

« - | new surveyor »