Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2019, 09:50 PM   #1

1/2 ton towable?

03-25-2019*01:00 PM

Haulintoyz

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and well new to soon owning a toy hauler. I currently have a 2016 f150 3.5l ecoboost super crew. I am looking to purchase a 30hds. I leased the truck and it's up this may. My question is are these trailers really 1/2 ton towable? SAFELY I would prefer to stay with another 1/2 ton truck for daily gas mileage. I know towing the trailer will kill gas mileage, but I would be driving the truck a lot more without the trailer on the back than with it. Please if anyone has any info I would appreciate Thx
Haulintoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulintoyz View Post

Haulintoyz

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and well new to soon owning a toy hauler. I currently have a 2016 f150 3.5l ecoboost super crew. I am looking to purchase a 30hds. I leased the truck and it's up this may. My question is are these trailers really 1/2 ton towable? SAFELY I would prefer to stay with another 1/2 ton truck for daily gas mileage. I know towing the trailer will kill gas mileage, but I would be driving the truck a lot more without the trailer on the back than with it. Please if anyone has any info I would appreciate Thx
If you live in flat lands and don't plan on doing any hill climbing than go for it. if you plain to go to the mountains get bigger truck. It's not all about gas mileage and pulling. You must be able to stop it quickly in a straight line.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:03 PM   #3

Hmm, a trailer that's 15 ft longer than the tow vehicle and has a loaded weight that's about 3000 lbs more than GVWR of the tow vehicle. What can go wrong .... ?
I've been harping on this a few times on here, the tow rating the manufacturer publishes is not determined with large travel trailers or such. A dump trailer or flatbed or even a short(ish) cargo trailer can push it towards the max rating, large travel trailers not so much.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:30 PM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Unless you are just hauling a couple of kids bicycles and maybe a small sewing machine in that toy hauler...an F150 is not the truck.

Even empty you would be pushing it.

3/4-ton category.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:46 AM   #5

36' trailer with a GVWR of 10,100 lbs.

Shows a 17% (1314 lbs.) Tongue weight empty so lets load it up to the 10,100 GVWR it specs at and your showing 1717 lbs tongue weight now.
Add in a couple people (150 lbs each) and a W/D hitch (100 lbs) your up over 2100 lbs in in Cargo Carrying weight for your truck. That's before putting in anything else in the cab or bed of the truck (Coolers, dog, cornhole boards, etc). Add that weight up and get your total and then compare to what your door sticker say is the max for your truck?

My trailer is shorter, weighs less and I wouldn't haul it anywhere with a half ton. It only take a second for someone to do something stupid near you that you have to taken measures to avoid (slamming the brakes, steer aggressively to miss, etc.) You don't want to be short on truck when those moments happen. If you've ever had a trailer push your truck around, you don't ever wanna feel that again. It's one of the worst feelings in the world, especially if you have people you care about with you.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:16 AM   #6

Tow capacity for 2016 F150 Super Crew 3.5 EcoBoost is in the 11,000 lb. range. While the notes don't call out Max Tow for that, I think that may be typo. Loaded, the 30HDS is right about 10,000 lbs. The area of most concern is the hitch weight. At 1500 lbs., you may not have enough payload for a passenger (check the sticker inside the driver door).

You may manage with a new '19 F150 SCrew 3.5L Eco, 3.55 axle, 6.5' bed with Max Tow by the numbers (13K tow capacity). That said, expect some serious reving in pretty much any hills. And you still need to check the payload numbers after options (that's what the door sticker does). In addition to Max Tow, consider the payload option and LT tires.

I understand about having a daily driver that occasionally tows. New F250s do a bit better on mileage though still not as good as the F150. However, even though you can configure an F150 to handle the numbers, it may not be the best choice for that trailer. An F250 would be a better choice.

I also recommend you spend time in the Towing, Tow Vehicles, Hitches & Toads section of the forum. Lot's of good info addressing 'can this tow' questions.

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2019 F-250 XLT 6.2L 4x4 Crew Cab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulintoyz View Post

Haulintoyz

I had a 2016 F150 with the high payload goodies (payload door sticker over 2200lbs) and I wouldn't want to pull that trailer or the (smaller) toyhauer in my signature with it. Without the payload package that trailer is beyond the limits of a 1/2 ton...with the heavy payload package an F150 could possibly be 'legal' on paper but approaching the limits.

The problem with toyhaulers is the tongue weight. Tongue weight is necessary to keeping a trailer stable so by design they default tongue heavy for safety to help keep unwitting folks from loading them incorrectly. (too little tongue weight is a wreck that is going to happen). I don't know about your trailer loaded vs unloaded but I'll tell you about mine to show the potential problems. I measure the tongue weight every time I pull the trailer. Empty my tongue weight is 950lbs, loaded I have seen 1500lbs.

The trailer you're looking at appears to have a good portion of the garage behind the axles...that would (in theory) make it easier to balance the weight on the tongue but everything you add to the trailer that is not in the garage is going to up the tongue weight...especially the generator and batteries which are not included on the brochure weight. More to consider on loading: Are you going to have the same toy in the garage every time? Every time you load the trailer differently you will need to readjust your weight distributing hitch with a half ton...it will be important you have that correct for safety if you are going to be right on the edge.

I think my F150 hitch was rated for a maximum of 1500lbs tongue weight and I'd bet good money that trailer with a generator, a battery and a proper hitch would exceed that number completely empty.

Balancing a trailer near the max weight with a half ton can be a challenging exercise...doing it with a toyhauler is even more difficult, especially if you're going to make the necessary precautions (checking all your weights) to load safely every time.

Good luck with your quest and welcome to the site.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:27 AM   #8

the simple answer is don't do it, get a bigger truck or smaller TT
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
the simple answer is don't do it, get a bigger truck or smaller TT

X2
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:48 AM   #10

Yes there is and yes it can be done safely. The same standards that rate the 3/4 and bigger are the same ones used to rate 1/2 tons and the standard includes braking. I own 1 ton dually my trailer is 20ft longer and almost 5k heavier. Every reason someone gives you for why you can’t tow a trl with a 1/2 ton they are most likely committing the error with their bigger truck. If you stay inside your capacity you will be just fine. Many of today’s 1/2 tons put the old 3/4 1 ton hp and torque to shame all while being in a lighter truck. As for it can tow it but can it stop it argument the brakes are a part of the rating system. While the brakes are bigger on 3/4 and up so is the truck. Just think about stopping freight train. The heavier the freight ( truck and trailer) the further it gonna take to stop. Those that say don’t believe the dealer or manufacturers numbers don’t provide you with where they get their tested and vetted information from. Some will say seat of pants or white knuckle feeling. That’s just a threshold of each person experience. Run the numbers if you’re trl is within the truck capacity then enjoy. If you follow our advice you’ll end up with a dually to tow your r pod
Old 03-30-2019, 09:12 AM   #11

I'm not one of those that run to Cat Scales, do 2 hrs of math on my numbers, but just a quick look at those spec's....ummmm? NO! I wouldn't pull a trailer like that with a 1/2 ton. 3/4 gasser would be my first look, or a smaller trailer. I'd agree with most of the folks here on that one. I was comfortable with my 1500 Siverado and about 7000lbs of TT. beyond that, I would've gotten a bigger truck...which I did when we got our Cherokee that's rated to 11000lbs. 2500 Duramax Diesel.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
If you follow our advice you’ll end up with a dually to tow your r pod
Amen

But you do need to check the max payload by truck. It varies a lot depending on the trim. And get the real numbers for the RV. I pull a Rockwood 2604ws (~7500GVW) with an F150 platinum and wouldn't want much more trailer with that truck.
Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #13

Trailers keep getting bigger and trucks keep getting smaller. Seems like an odd trend.

My one ton Ford 7.3 diesel gets great mileage.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:08 AM   #14

Just my opinion on 1/2 ton towing vice 3/4 ton. I have had 1/2 ton trucks not many. Since I went to a 3/4 many many years ago I have had both gas and diesel. Currently I have a gasser. But what I have found is nowadays there isn’t that big of a difference between a 3/4 ton gasser and a 1/2 gasser when it comes to MPG if both have the same size engine in them. I look at like this you have a 30 gallon tank. 1/2 ton you get towing maybe 10 mpg 3/4 ton you get maybe 8 mpg. Difference is 2 mpg that’s nothing. Now my mpg May be off but I don’t think there is a real big difference in mpg of 1/2 Vice 3/4.maybe I’m completely wrong.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:27 AM   #15

I think a half ton is useless but thats just my opinion.
I also think most of the guys saying its ok to tow max'd out with a half ton are CRAZY. I've seen what happens when a truck is over weighted its not pretty .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:55 AM   #16

Cargo carrying capacity is something usually not addressed in the 1/2 and 3/4 ton discussion. The 3/4 will usually handle that w/out trouble. The 1/2 ton might have enough for you and a bag of chips.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
I also think most of the guys saying its ok to tow max'd out with a half ton are CRAZY. I've seen what happens when a truck is over weighted its not pretty .
Working for a living 25 years and owning 2 1/2 ton and 2 one tons with the right application they are excellent and far from useless ... just my experience not my opinion ...
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post

Why would it be any more crazy to max a half ton than 1 ton dually or a semi. If the engineers are smart enough to rate the capacity of 3/4 ton or bigger. Why are they not smart enough to rate a 1/2 ton. Why is it ok for a tractor trailer or 5th wheel trailer to outweigh and be longer than the tv that 3/4 ton or bigger but not on a half ton. If it’s within its capacity then it shouldn’t matter 1/2 ton or bigger
Old 03-30-2019, 10:08 PM   #19

For a 150, I suspect you will need to order a truck with the HDPP (heavy duty payload package) to get enough cargo capacity. The 3.5 EB engine is a pulling monster and should handle that trailer, especially with a 10 speed tranny.
You are talking a long trailer, so you should seriously consider either a Propride or Hensley hitch, they will do the best job of keeping the trailer behind the truck, talk to both companies to get their view on your proposed setup, I've found Sean at Propride to be very up front and knows the capabilities of his product.
I would also seriously consider putting disc brakes on the trailer if it doesn't come with them. Discs will significantly improve braking, I'd seriously consider this with any size truck. If the trailer brakes fail, any truck short of a Freightliner would have a hard time stopping a 5 ton trailer.

You are engineering a solution to a problem. Do the engineering right and you'll be fine. Several good answers to the problem - you need to do the research and decide which is right for you.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:10 PM   #20

Thanks everyone for all your comments. I have until may when my lease is up on the f150. I just wanted to hear all your opinions on what everyone with trailer hauling experience had to say. It sounds like if it was me by myself I'd stick with the 2019 1/2 ton this time around, but with my wife and kid... safety is a top priority over mpg or price of vehicle. Looks like I'll be in the market for a 3/4 ton truck. With my cargo being a few mx bikes that would barely change the tongue wieght. If I'm looking at it right, the more weight I would put in the back the less the weight would be on the hitch? Again I apologize for newbie questions. Also any suggestions on 3/4 gassers? Would be in the market for 2019. Thanks
Haulintoyz is offline   Reply With Quote