Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #1

2009 xlr 4 season?

I just bought a 09 xlr 40x12. The dealer told me it was a true 4 season camper. I don't have any switches for tank heaters or anything like that. And I'm also not sure about the wall insulation either. If anybody has any more information about this model I'd appreciate it.
longD07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:29 PM   #2

how about some pictures of it and what did you pay ? don't know of any true four season
camper , maybe arctic fox . most are just a solid 3 season
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:45 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by longD07 View Post
I just bought a 09 xlr 40x12. The dealer told me it was a true 4 season camper. I don't have any switches for tank heaters or anything like that. And I'm also not sure about the wall insulation either. If anybody has any more information about this model I'd appreciate it.
Dealer BS!😲
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:40 PM   #4

I'll post some pictures later I'm at work now. It has the extra half bath in the garage area and the sink and toilet are froze up but everything else is fine.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #5

I paid 29,700 for it
Old 12-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #6

Quote:
I'll post some pictures later I'm at work now. It has the extra half bath in the garage area and the sink and toilet are froze up but everything else is fine.
if you have this in use and the water lines are froze up you will want to get it defrosted asap and then make sure you have no split lines and connectors that may have broken . . you will have to get into the underbelly to check the lines , when in there you can add insulation and pipe wraps that will help or even some heat tape .
Old 12-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #7

I need to figure out a way to get into the underbelly without cutting up the wrap and stuff under it. But yes I'd like to get up under it and inspect everything I can besides just the water lines. I put a small ceramic heater in the 1/2 bath where I don't get water while I'm at work, hopefully it heats the area up enough to get the water lines defrosted.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:35 PM   #8

Quote:
I need to figure out a way to get into the underbelly without cutting up the wrap and stuff under it. But yes I'd like to get up under it and inspect everything I can besides just the water lines. I put a small ceramic heater in the 1/2 bath where I don't get water while I'm at work, hopefully it heats the area up enough to get the water lines defrosted.
Not sure how they did things in 09 , but mine is held in place by screws along the edges and a little spray foam . i had mine down and insulated and secured everything . it is a good thing to do . when reinstalling i used the screws added more and also sprayed foamed the whole edge before securing . i still would trust it for below freezing temps for days . maybe if the unit was skirted and heated
Old 12-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #9

I plan on getting a skirt made for it and maybe putting a string of 100 watt bulbs under it. But yes once summer comes around I will take the underbelly down and inspect everything and many install heat tape on pipes and tank heaters.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:52 PM   #10

I have XLR '09 12-40. I have switches for tank heaters in the control panel. Does yours have 2 toilets? I do not have duel pane windows, but I have had ours in sone pretty cold weather.
2014 RZR XP 1000
Days Camped in '18- 106
Days Camped in ‘19- 23
Tucson Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:54 PM   #11
Comox Valley RV

4 Season Camper, Trailer or Motorhome . . .

In reality, there is no such beast. Until you make it so. Even the big name Arctic Fox now states their units are "4 Season Ready." Skirt your unit in below freezing temps and place a safe heat source inside the skirting. Wrap your supply lines in heat tape or the like. Hopefully your source for propane isn't far and you have electricity available or at least a good generator to produce it. I would recommend an oil filled heater for under the skirting. If they fall over there is a cut off switch and I've never had one that would burn to the touch. The best you will find in insulation factor is about R9 in the walls and up to R14 in the ceiling. Usually R10 or R12 in the floor. Skirting helps increase the R value. As long as you can accept the fact that it's an RV and will be expensive to heat, you will be fine.

Be wary of the added R value the foil in the ceiling gives. It doesn't do a thing for you in the cold and only add a slight reflective value when the sun is beaming down on your unit. More of a sales gimmick than anything. And the foil is usually added above residential insulation. Higher quality builds use block foam insulation all around. Make sure all of your seals are sealed. Warm air is going to escape, but you still need to keep water out.
Canuckshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #12

Ya this summer I plan on taking things apart and making it a little more winter ready. Insulation would be a great place to start but I don't know that I want to tear into the walls and ceiling. I think if I get a skirt made, figure out a heat source for under, and make sure there's minimal air leaks and the underbelly is sealed really good. Heat tape every water line and tankni can.

Tags
xlr