Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #1

2012 XLR 27 HFS self destructiong

The trailer is a really low end product. Very cheaply made. Had same problem with 2 end cushions on dinette being way too soft. Factory replacements better but still useless. Collapse of cushion makes table way too tall. Will get our own cushions and replace the table with a portable or replace the entire dinette with a couch or chairs. Can't afford any more weight, though.

Most cabinet hinge and latch screws were stripped during installation. Replaced some but should have replaced all-the door over the sink fell off and broke into 2 pieces. Two days before that the fire extinguisher fell off the wall.

The freezer won't keep ice cream from melting. Ice cubes take 18 hrs to freeze. The refrigerator only gets to 42 degrees with nothing in it and no door openings for 18 hrs. Food spoils above 40.

Has anyone noticed the sticker in the garage says no more than 2000 lbs.? The entire load capacity of the trailer is 1650. Thought that would be enough for 1 atv and 1 dirt bike, it's not. With 1000 lbs in the garage, I have 7360 lbs of weight on the 2 3500 lbs axles. ???? Guess it was made to haul kids toys and bicycles.

The garage and exterior seems to be made ok, so far. The interior is falling apart after 20 days use. The shower curtain and the shower hose are junk both broke already. Will find something different for a curtain. FR replaced the hose; it broke first time used. Even one from Walmart is way better.

I mounted a tv to the wall but am afraid to leave it up when traveling. I'm sure the entire wall will come down.

Almost every time we open the door another screw or piece of something is found on the floor. Haven't found where all of them are coming from.

The fuel tank is nice but the filler neck is perfectly flat. You have to hold the fill nozzle upside down to keep it from kicking off constantly.

I'm ready to take my losses and get rid of it already.
Rotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Site Team

I had the exact same problem with my freezer two trips ago - melted ice cream & slow freezing ice cubes. Even 5 days later the single serving cups of ice cream were really soft. The following trip the freezer worked fine. As for the fridge temp it can be adjusted by moving the slider on the fin.

Finding mystery screws & factory dust on the floor is not uncommon. As for the other stuff - I am sorry that you are dealing with this. Hopefully soon you will be able to move on from the "fix it" list and get out camping!

Take care,
Terier

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:25 AM   #3

Other than the support in the dinette being screwed in at and upward angle(it broke with a 175lb person on it and the cushions stink. I am either going to build and add a middle support and use a twin mattress full time or add a couch or futon. As for the 2000 lb max in cargo area, if you want more get away from a hitch mount lite weight trailer and go with a 5th wheel. This model was made to be able to be hauled with a proper 1/2 ton. As for the crappy screwed in screws I agree. As for the Flat screen, I have mine attached full time but I have left the base of the Tv on to help support it while driving. I also use 2 pillows that are positioned between the screen and the slide out to protect it. Also a LED is much lighter than a LCD screen. I will be adding pictures hopefully soon as this is my busy season and not alot of day time allowed for free time.
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #4

I don't understand the freezer working better after a time. Hope mine does the same. I have my temp sensor mounted as high as possible in the fridge. I had to tape it place but the unit will still not get any colder.

I understand about getting a 5th wheel for more capacity, etc. That would have been my preference. I have a 5 1/2 ft. bed half ton truck. The specs on the trailer make it look like it should work for what I needed. I didn't anticipate that even a partial load would overload the trailer axles and even push the weight limits of my truck's rear axle. It's promoted as half ton towable and the overall weight of the trailer is well within the tow limit but the axle weights are not. I can fix the cabinets, if they replace my door, and can maybe work with the refrigerator. The atv and motorcycle fit in the back ok and it allows me to do what I want so I'm hoping for more good times with it. It tows fine, I'm just concerned about the overloaded axle problem.

I just towed it 1500 miles with various stops in several Colorado OHV areas and it did fine so maybe I'm overly concerned. There is some great riding around Pagosa Springs, Durango and Taylor Park by the way. Rampart Range, too, but I haven't been there in a few years.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotech View Post
I don't understand the freezer working better after a time. Hope mine does the same. I have my temp sensor mounted as high as possible in the fridge. I had to tape it place but the unit will still not get any colder.
It was just odd that we both had a problem with the same two items in the freezer around the same time. In your case it sounds like there might be something wrong with your freezer/fridge. The top shelf in my fridge is the coldest place in the fridge.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #6

What weight distribution hitch are you using?
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotech View Post
It's promoted as half ton towable and the overall weight of the trailer is well within the tow limit but the axle weights are not.
Half ton towable is true as long as the camper is empty.
This marketing "slight of hand" is used by everyone in the industry when talking about 5th wheels and 1/2 ton class trucks.

FR is not the only one doing this by a long shot.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #8

Namchief...I'm using an Equalizer with 4 point sway control rated at 10,000 lbs and 1000 lbs hitch weight. Makes it tow nice.

Yeah herk, I should know by now there is marketing and there is reality.

Terier...I think you may be right. It was so hot on our trip, I thought maybe a vent fan in the back of the fridge might help. But my temp testing was done early morning after a much cooler night. May try it anyway.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #9

That's interesting as it's been one of the quicker cooling and colder freezers I've had in a camper/rv. We have no problem with any ice cream we put in it. Whether it's on electric or gas it seems to be quick.

As far as capacity I do agree I don't know how you'd be able to use the trailer without overloading it (never understood how they justify making a trailers with such low capacities). Put 3-4 bikes in it, gas, water... poo a few times...
GaryRudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

As far as the cooling of your fridge.

Air flow is the key to cooling. If you are not cooling well, there could be a blockage in the chimney or dirt on the coils. You might even consider adding an aftermarket fan to boost airflow in the stack.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
WOW! what refridge do y'all have? Ours is Dometic and wokrs well. Our ice cubes freeze over night and ice cream stays hard as a rock. Lower refidge stays 36-38 degrees. I did add a small aftermarket computer fan taht has a knife edge conector to the light. Works great! Sorry for your bad experience.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #12

The lead off on this thread really bothered me because I am typically lloaded to about 7,000 lbs and have the 3,500 lb axles. Then it dawned on me that my tongue weight is typically 740-760 lbs so the axles are actually only carrying a total of about 6,250, under the max amount. Still would rather have the later heavier axles but I don't loose any sleep over it.

I did have a leak that caused some damage but was taken care of under warranty. The rest of my problems have been caused by my ignorance...
obx-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #13

Just got my 2013 XLR27Hfs. Where does the TP holder mount that comes with this unit?
FunTimes27XLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunTimes27XLR View Post
Just got my 2013 XLR27Hfs. Where does the TP holder mount that comes with this unit?
Wherever works best for you. Some people don't mount them at all and instead opt to go with a freestanding TP holder (bought separately, of course).
Old 03-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Wherever works best for you. Some people don't mount them at all and instead opt to go with a freestanding TP holder (bought separately, of course).
I'm going with a freestanding, no need to tear up the wall and I'm sure I would do so.
FunTimes27XLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #16

Have you had the refer system checked? You might be low on Ammo, These systems are not freon systems. You could just be low from the factory or maybe a small leak.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #17

I look at the trailer like a sailboat or any other hobby-ish type purchase/investment...you gotta personalize them. You "could" leave it alone, but customizing them to your own personal tastes, whether improving them or fixing them up is one of the joys of ownership. I love just puttering around in it and figuring out ways to make it better...

By the way, anyone figure out how to replace that gawd-awful short gasoline pump hose? I can't even get it to reach my motorcycle tanks (KTM 990).

BG
Old 02-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepsych View Post
I look at the trailer like a sailboat or any other hobby-ish type purchase/investment...you gotta personalize them. You "could" leave it alone, but customizing them to your own personal tastes, whether improving them or fixing them up is one of the joys of ownership. I love just puttering around in it and figuring out ways to make it better...

By the way, anyone figure out how to replace that gawd-awful short gasoline pump hose? I can't even get it to reach my motorcycle tanks (KTM 990).

BG
I realized the short fuel hose when I bought my xlr.i got the dealership to replace it with a 4' section before I picked it up. I was pretty sure I wasnt going to be able to fill my quad up with the standard fuel hose.
supreme87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunTimes27XLR View Post
i mounted one above the camode. high enough your head won't hit it when sitting. I got tired of the roll on the floor getting wet from the shower or having to reach across to the sink.. where it also got wet or was in the way.
2013 forest river xlr27hfs hyperlite
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote