Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2020, 05:13 PM   #1

2013 xlr 27hfs

Hey all,

New to this forum. I've been researching the Hyperlite bumper pull series for a few years and even had a test tow of one last year. A 2013 27HFS-EP came up at a dealer right around the corner that's in absolutely immaculate condition so I jumped on it and made a deal. I pick it up next week. I currently have a single axle travel trailer and a Can-Am outlander that's almost 1,000lbs, I've been hauling that in the bed of my 2014 F-150 Ecoboost on a wheel riser and pulling a camper behind for almost 3 years. Definitely a sketchy load, sketchy tow, and hard on my truck, so I'm looking forward to making this plunge.

How is everyone liking their Hyperlites? Any modifications or recommendations for odds and ends to do right out of the gate? Common issues etc? This one cleared the shop with only a few minor issues they're looking after but my last camper was a POS so I'm not expecting sunshine and roses.

I'll be going with a new hitch setup with this trailer, what anti-sway WDH are the half ton guys recommending?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hyperlite.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	235843   Click image for larger version

Name:	hyperlite2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	235844  
HCFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
MOV

I have a 2014 XLR 27 HFS
Bought it new
It is alot of trailer for a half ton
MOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:44 PM   #3

I'm happy with my E2 Trunnion.
mdsnitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOV View Post
I have a 2014 XLR 27 HFS
Bought it new
It is alot of trailer for a half ton
Definitely. I plan to upgrade to a 1 ton within 2-3 years but for now I feel like it will be a less white knuckle experience than my current setup with ATV in bed and camper in tow. I put both the toy hauler and my current setup on a scale in the same weekend and found I was almost 900lbs heavier on my rear axle with the ATV in the back, and bars cranked, than I was with the quad in the back of the toy hauler. I think this will be less stressful for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsnitc View Post
I'm happy with my E2 Trunnion.
I've heard great things about the E2. I'm definitely thinking hard about that route.
HCFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:51 PM   #5

I know it’s a lil late, but I have the ‘16 and the dealer recommended the blue Ox and I am not disappointed and actually impressed
MotoCrazy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #6

I have a 2017 29 HFS and pull it with an F150, although it is a 2010 heavy half ton F150 4x4 w the heaviest axles you get And a 5.4L v8. I also use the blue ox and it works flawlessly.
An F150 is a tough vehicle and an adequate TV if it is the right 150. Too many models/options to group them all together. I strongly suggest consulting the Ford Tow Guide for your Vin, know and understand the truck that you have, as well as scale the entire rig several times so that you learn and understand how to load and distribute the weight you are hauling, properly. Little things like wether or not you have a load of fresh water on board or not make a big difference with any camper, but especially a toy hauler, and especially with or without a load in the back. I’ve successfully pulled my trailer for 4 years now, but each trip can be unique depending on what you have in the unit, and how well you planned the load.
burbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #7

Yes we have a 2012 with a maybe 50 thousand km on it. I haul a Goldwing in it .As you can see frame has cracked up on both sides, axle frame was all twisted . Fault was frame gauge to light for trailer , steel made of pig steel ,also no reinforcement on I frame.
I ended up putting 2x6x1/8 steel channel front to back , new axle frame 5" so side of tires will not rub frame as kept blowing tires . Put 5,200 lb axles in.
Factory axles had not been lined up and trailer was dog tracking,with new axles in iam getting 6L per 100 km better. The original 3,500 axles were to light causing axles to bow replaced with 4,400lb of which brakes parts not available any longer , so went with 5,200 lb .
Now trailer pulls much easier, no sway tires not rubbing on frame. And with Road Armor tandem Equalizer also installed there is less neck pain while towing. Also supports put across on each shackle mounts.
Yes lots of work went into rebuilding this trailer in 2019 otherwise it was scrap, driving home with frame cracked up was most scarey 800km ever. If I would have made a sharp turn or swing axles would have came out. Prayer got us home!
Forest River didn't help at all, they blamed Lipport whole frames who in turn blamed Foerst River as engineers gave specs.
Now we feel safe on road around you and your families . Please check your frames for cracks! Don't let me see you in obituaries or others from trailer axles blowing out with trailer and truck going to the wreckers.
Ride Smart Ride Safe !!Click image for larger version

Name:	529638071.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	243774Click image for larger version

Name:	1815283635.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	243775Click image for larger version

Name:	829447740.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	243776Click image for larger version

Name:	918973752.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	243783Click image for larger version

Name:	382953216.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	243784
Goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCFX View Post
Definitely. I plan to upgrade to a 1 ton within 2-3 years but for now I feel like it will be a less white knuckle experience than my current setup with ATV in bed and camper in tow. I put both the toy hauler and my current setup on a scale in the same weekend and found I was almost 900lbs heavier on my rear axle with the ATV in the back, and bars cranked, than I was with the quad in the back of the toy hauler. I think this will be less stressful for the time being.

I've heard great things about the E2. I'm definitely thinking hard about that route.
I have a 2016 29HFS that I spend Months at a time in. Or.... Used to. Until the Kung Flu hit.

I pulled it here and there with a 2013 F-150 with a Coyote and 3.31 gears. No problem. Didn't go through any Mountains or anything. Would have preferred not to. But an EcoBoost is enough engine for your trialer.

If you want a Super Duty or HD truck... Go for it. If you don't just put some airbags, a sway bar on the back (yours most likely doesn't have one) and go on about your business.

I was cheap and put Super Springs on mine. It pulled and handled well. YMMV.

But the truth is, unless you're pulling with an Abrams Tank, you're gonna know it's back there and you need to drive accordingly.

I have a Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel now. It's way more truck than I need. But at least I don't have to mess with a WDH. At all. Just hook and go.

To be honest I wanted the truck. Didn't need it. Wanted it. Tuned and deleted, it pulls like a freight train. And the really, really, super-important part....?

It drives the tree huggers completely insane... Well, more insane. And it smells like a diesel. A lot. Love the look on old hippies' faces at the stop light when the fumes leak through their Prius A/C. Priceless. That alone makes it worth the price of admission
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, xlr