Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 06:56 PM   #1
Dustmaker

2018 29HFS Rear Camera Power

I have a new Hyper Lite 29HFS with the rear camera installed by dealer when purchased. I have noticed that as long as the trailer is powered by either battery or AC hookup, the power led on the rear/backup camera is lit. The only way I have found to remove power from the camera is to pull the fuse for the cargo area. I would think that there should be some power on/off switch (other than the cargo fuse) so the camera isn't powered up all the time. Am I missing something somewhere?
Dustmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #2

I have the 28KW Nitro and the power wire for my camera is hot any time 12V is avalible and the power light is on. Mine is on the kitchen fuse
49Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:57 AM   #3

I would put a switch on it. When working on my older 29, I noticed lots of connections behind the outlets in the bathroom.. that's where the systems monitor panel is too. If you could find the wire feeding power to the rear at this point, you could get a factory looking switch and do what the factory should have done. Of course you could put it closer to the camera if all else fails.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:23 PM   #4
Dustmaker

Thanks for the feedback. I had thought about opening up the switches/outlets in the cargo area to see if I could identify the lead that is powering the camera but before I went that route I thought I would see if I could get a response from FR that would point me to the correct location. I submitted an e-mail a week ago and haven't heard anything back yet so figured I'd try a phone call (not sure what kind of response timeframe is normal). If I don't get anything from FR fairly soon, then I will be diving in and will report back with what I find (or don't find)....
Old 06-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
Dustmaker

Wiring Update

I did receive a call from FR and they told me that the power lead to the camera was powered all of the time in the 2018 29HFS model as long as there is 12v power. Behind the set of 4 switches in the cargo area, there are a pair of yellow/white wires and a green/white wire, and this is where the camera power lead is tied in to the cargo power source. I pulled the switch bank out and there were 2 white/yellow wires feeding the first two switches (overhead lights and outside fuel station light) and they are tied together with a short green/white wire. I pulled the wires out of one of the terminals to break the loop to determine which white/yellow wire was power source and which fed the camera and then thought I should take a picture so I pushed them back into the terminal for the picture (that's why there is exposed bare wire). I now have the information I need to install a switch to power on/off the camera as I need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1642.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	174965  
Old 06-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
Dustmaker

Finished Project

Thanks to FR I have acquired a new bank of 3 switches and faceplate to put in place of the double switch plate in the cargo area. I moved the lead going to the camera off of the power loop and put it on the new switch (along with the power feed). Now I'll just add "turn camera on/off" to my trailer prep check list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1666.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	176392  
Old 06-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #7

2018 29HFS Rear Camera Power

That is really good to know. Thanks..
I already fixed mine by tying into the power up in the vent fan that was wall switchable.
I just turn the switch off in the fan itself and turn on switch on the wall when needed forthe camera..
Of course when I use the vent fan the camera is on but I don't often use the vent fan anyway. It sure would have been nice to know where the wire was located before I did that.(Couldn't find it anywhere) .It would have been a lot easier.. Thanks again.

2017 XLR Hyper Lite 29HFS Toy Hauler
2013 Silverado 2500HD, Ext. Cab, 6.0L, 4x4
Harleys in the garage & our Lab in the backseat... Abby, aka – Abbygator Slobber Nasty
This is True is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power