Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2021, 02:18 PM   #1

2021 XLR Hyperlite 3016 fresh water tank vent location

Just picked up a 2021 XLR Hyperlite 3016. I went to fill the fresh water tanks (2 x approx. 50 gal interconnected) and could not find an overflow hose for either tank so I stopped filling at 95 gallons (102 gal. capacity)

Anyone have a clue as to where they might be?
sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:06 PM   #2

hyperlite fresh water vent

Hi, I've got a 2019 Hyperlite camper, and the fresh water vent has always been a problem. With the factory filler, it took FOREVER to fill, so I replaced the screw-on filler with a bigger opening where I could just stick a cut-off hose in there and fill it. Turns out the tubing going to the tank is so small that the water just backed up on me. So, I got one of those rubber expanding drain cleaner bladders to seal it off. That kind of worked, but every few minutes I'd turn off the water, letting the bladder contract and a bunch of water would spit back at me, under pressure. Clearly, the vent is not working. There is an overflow at the right, rear of the camper near the generator bay, but it really doesn't work as a vent. I'm afraid of bursting the water tank because of the expansion. I love the camper, but the fresh water filler just sucks. It's never been right.
Mr58Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. The 2021 fresh water fill has a screw-on connection so water backing up isn't a problem.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius View Post
Thanks for the info. The 2021 fresh water fill has a screw-on connection so water backing up isn't a problem.
That's not much help. Mine CAME with that screw-on connector. And it took FOREVER to fill it that way. When I'd unscrew the hose, it spit back anyway so your solution is not the answer.

The fill hose is way too small going to the tank, probably the vent is kinked and there's no way to get at it, and many campgrounds just have a cut hose without the screw-on end so we couldn't fill at all at places like that. Forrest River was better off with a big mouth opening and a large capacity tubing going all the way to the tank. It's a mess of a situation that can't be corrected.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:05 PM   #5

Ahh I see now where yours came with the screw on fitting, sorry , missed that. It definitely sounds like your vent is blocked. Plus, the gravity-fill ports seem to open a good bit higher than level of the tank. The screw-on fitting isn't much higher than the top of the tank and might even have some uphill stretches so that might add to the problem. I didn't open the water hose valve all way so wasn't putting full pressure on the fill lines, but the tank seem to fill with no issues.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius View Post
Ahh I see now where yours came with the screw on fitting, sorry , missed that. It definitely sounds like your vent is blocked. Plus, the gravity-fill ports seem to open a good bit higher than level of the tank. The screw-on fitting isn't much higher than the top of the tank and might even have some uphill stretches so that might add to the problem. I didn't open the water hose valve all way so wasn't putting full pressure on the fill lines, but the tank seem to fill with no issues.
Right, now you see. I wish Forest River had construction diagrams available so folks could troubleshoot their campers. I hate to do this, but I may have to remove the sealed bottom to "get to the bottom of this". Laughing at my own joke. Here's the issue with that: They use over-torqued self tapping screws to hold the bottom cover on. And they usually shear off when you try to remove them.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:57 PM   #7

I know what you mean by over torqued self tapping screws. Mine is missing a holder for the propane hose splitter so it hangs down. You can see where the "builder" broke off two of them before he gave up...

Tags
cat, fresh water, lite, location, tank, vent, water, water tank, xlr