Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #1

27HFS Questions. Maiden Voyage

Sitting here at the KOA with the family on the maiden voyage of our 27HFS (2011 model). We picked this up used a few months ago and there are a few things I can't figure out. This is not my first toy hauler but I moved up from a 2004 Work and Play style converted enclosed to this.

1. Is there anyway to get the hotwater heater to kick out any higher water temps? According the manual I should be getting about 180 degrees on gas out of it. According to my thermometer I am just below 100 degrees.

2. I took my first shower in the TH this morning and the stock shower wand has a 2.5 gallons per minute flow limter in it. However I think that it is more like a 0.5 gallon. I used 100% hotwater (no cold) and I barely got more than 3-4" of water flowing out of the sprinkle holes. Is this normal?

3. My fridge is kind of wack. It works flawless on gas. However is very unpredictable on electric. If I got from a non-use state to turning on the fridge with electric I can feel where the tubes on the bottom of the fridge are getting hot to the touch (about 70-80 of the hot to the touch compared to gas use). However the fridge and freezer do not drop in temp. If I switch to gas and get the fridge down to about 50 degrees and then switch to electric it may work for 2 days or may only work for a few hours before the temp gradually climbs back to room temp. I have ohm'ed out the heating element and I am getting about 43.3 which appears to be what I should get in regards to resistance. Any ideas?

I am used to the older technology without so many bells and whistles.

Gonna be taking the TH out with the guys for 4 days to RZR riding in Tennessee next week so want to have things dialed in if I can.
Reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #2

I had the same problem with hot water a few years ago.I didn't have the hot water heater tank bypass valve fully closed. The cluster of lines and valves can be a little confusing. I googled the fridge problem and didn't come up with much. I know mine takes quite a while to cool on electric.
eglideinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #3

My shower head was like yours with no pressure. Bought the Body spa with Oxygenics for about $35 what a difference. Lots of pressure. It's just a great upgrade.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. I'll double check the bypass lines. I am going to look at different heads as well. Just wish I could figure out why the fridge is so hit or miss on AC.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
RFK

Had the same issue with the hot water, under the front bed the bypass valve has both the blue & red line going to it, I closed mine up and had great hot water I can't help with the fridge other then I know it takes a long time to get cold but once it does we're good to go
2007 Harley Electra Glide Classic
:iwo
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #6

Well I took up the bed today and the bypass was open so that may be part of the temp issue. Heading back out Thursday so I'll give it another shot. Now if I can just figure out the fridge issue while on electric.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
2014 XLR 27HFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeko View Post
1. Is there anyway to get the hotwater heater to kick out any higher water temps? According the manual I should be getting about 180 degrees on gas out of it. According to my thermometer I am just below 100 degrees.
I have a 2014 27HFS. Under the bed in the corner above the hot water tank is a thermostat screwed to the wall. If you have it, see if it will turn up higher. You might also look into a "hot shot RV water heater kit". I haven't used one, but have read posts on this site where people liked them.

Not much help on the fridge. I'd take the outside cover off and see if anything needs cleaning. Undo, clean, and put back any electrical connections. Some posts on this site talk about putting a small 12v computer fan in the top of the fridge exhaust stack to remove the hot air behind it.