Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #1

27HFS wheel lug distance

Most likely a stupid question but I cant find the info anywhere. Can anyone tell me the lug spacing for the 15" wheels on the 27HFS? I want to upgrade to 16" rims and LT tires as I've had too many issues over the years with the ST tires, even nicer ones like Maxxis. There are too few choices in 15" vs. a large amount of 16" so am just going to up a size.

There are way too many 6 lug options for size...
CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #2

i would think you could get great lt e rated tires for a 15" rims . i went with e rated st tires and like them so far but next time around i'll be heading the the lt tire . i use a brand called Hercules . for both my truck and th
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:49 PM   #3

There was only one 15" tore that came close to the rated capacity of the camper, a Goodyear Cargo G26. They're not badly priced from Tire Rack but locally they're $240/ea!

16" opens up a whole lot of options. Available anywhere if there is a problem and at all price points.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:31 PM   #4

You should read the article in trailer life about tires it all makes sense. When I tow I average around 62-65 never above my neighbor which has a lighter 5 th wheel runs 70 and up and he is constantly changing tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladden View Post
You should read the article in trailer life about tires it all makes sense. When I tow I average around 62-65 never above my neighbor which has a lighter 5 th wheel runs 70 and up and he is constantly changing tires.

I did read most of it (just got it). They even mention switching out to LT tires.

I dont speed. I check pressure before every trip. I have TPMS. I cover tires for long storage. I still had two blowouts with Zero warning. One was the cheap OEM tires that were brand spanking new on my Salem 26TBUD. Second was a 6 month old Maxxis M8008 which is one of the top rated ST tires on my Surveyor SP295. After that I upgraded to LT tires (Goodyear Wrangler HT) and put on thousands of miles. Not a single problem.

Thankfully no real damage occurred other than loss of time and changing a flat in 95* temps with cars going by at 75mph. I am not risking my camper or my family to some cheap tire when there are viable options out there.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #6

Goodyear has a 14 ply tire on the treat and side wall which I am switching to it is ST. I didn't take away from the article that LT is better because ST is for special trailer and the tread pattern is designed so that when you back up or get a tight turn and keeps the tire from rolling on the rim. I know some people that we camp with that switched to LT and on there three axle trailers if they jack hard the tire will try to roll up because LT tread design is made to give you traction which you don't need on a trailer.
I would recommend talking with a tire dealer that deals with towable RV's not motor homes.

egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD Dad View Post
There was only one 15" tore that came close to the rated capacity of the camper, a Goodyear Cargo G26. They're not badly priced from Tire Rack but locally they're $240/ea!

16" opens up a whole lot of options. Available anywhere if there is a problem and at all price points.
I have been looking at that but for now working with 225 x 15, Carlisle E rated. 16 inch affects braking. Most are six lug unless you are buying something rare or custom drilled. The larger, puts larger load on what are probably only ten inch brakes and may impact wheel well clearance.. Then if you are five lug, probably C rated originally your axles might only be rated for 3500lb each anyway. JUST THINK IT THROUGH BEFORE YOU JUMP
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
I have been looking at that but for now working with 225 x 15, Carlisle E rated. 16 inch affects braking. Most are six lug unless you are buying something rare or custom drilled. The larger, puts larger load on what are probably only ten inch brakes and may impact wheel well clearance.. Then if you are five lug, probably C rated originally your axles might only be rated for 3500lb each anyway. JUST THINK IT THROUGH BEFORE YOU JUMP
I went from 14" to 15" on my Surveyor SP295 due to the same problem. Severe lack of 14" tires (all ST) that were well rated and had a high load rating. I went with the Maxxis which was among the most recommended and I still had one blow out with no warning going 60mph on a flat section of road. No slow leaks, just tire is there one minute and the next nothing. I upgraded to 15" rims and Goodyear Wrangler HT Load E LT tires - put well over a thousand miles on them - zero issues at all. They held pressure better and I feel even rode better over rough pavement at the same load rating as the 14".

I have plenty of clearance, already measured. They are 6 lug rims and are carrying 15" ST Load D tires. Total weight of the 27HFS is around 10,000 lbs, so about 2500 per tire.

I dont understand why I have to keep explaining myself over and over again... I did the research, I have talked to many others on this, I have been towing campers from a PUP to our current toy hauler over many years. When I started I had no issues ever with Goodyear Marathons or Carlisle ST tires. I never even worried about them one instance other than checking for dry rot and holding pressure. Now it seems like manufacturers do the bare minimum to get by and the consumer gets screwed.

Apparently nobody has the answer so when I go pick up my camper next week from the dealer (small warranty work being done) I'll have to pull a wheel and look/measure. I'd contact FR if I knew how, all I have is a warranty number...
Old 11-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Most likely a stupid question but I cant find the info anywhere. Can anyone tell me the lug spacing for the 15" wheels on the 27HFS? I want to upgrade to 16" rims and LT tires as I've had too many issues over the years with the ST tires, even nicer ones like Maxxis. There are too few choices in 15" vs. a large amount of 16" so am just going to up a size.

Most 16" wheels are 6 or 8 lug, 15" are 4 or 5 lug. Clearance also may be a problem. I went to 16" wheels from 15" on an enclosed car trailer; replaced both axles at same time. 6 lug and bigger brakes.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Most 16" wheels are 6 or 8 lug, 15" are 4 or 5 lug. Clearance also may be a problem. I went to 16" wheels from 15" on an enclosed car trailer; replaced both axles at same time. 6 lug and bigger brakes.
Do you own a 27HFS?! The Stock 15" wheels are 6 lugs. i need to know the spacing so I can order 16" 6 lug wheels and I was hoping not to have to pull a wheel just to find out.

If you read above you'd also see I measured for clearance. I've done this before on a camper with much less clearance.

I'm seriously ready to delete this thread...
Old 11-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:

Go to the wheel mfg site and they will tell you. If you have 06 series, here is a sample of the info.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Flagstaff Series06 wheels.pdf (353.5 KB, 52 views)
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Do you own a 27HFS?! The Stock 15" wheels are 6 lugs. i need to know the spacing so I can order 16" 6 lug wheels and I was hoping not to have to pull a wheel just to find out.

If you read above you'd also see I measured for clearance. I've done this before on a camper with much less clearance.

I'm seriously ready to delete this thread...
CHDD, I am 99% sure ours will be the same. 6 lugs on 5 1/2 dia. circle. Pilot should be 4-1/4" with a 0 offset. I've noticed a 16" wheel is rated at a higher load rating, but is usually only limited by the tire and valve stem that's installed / mounted. What tire are you looking at?

I meant by "only limited" is that if the wheel is rated at 3200# for example, the valve stem and tire has to be that or higher.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:20 PM   #13

THANK YOU BOTH!!

I was fairly certain they were 6 x 5.5" as most trailer wheels I found were that size but hoped to verify without pulling a wheel. I planned on asking at my dealer when I pick it up but I'm not totally sold on dealership knowledge! I'd contact FR but couldn't find a way to do that either...

I'll post some pics if I do the upgrade. I may stick to the G26 Cargo but I like the 16" option to future proof things and make it easy if I need to replace on the road for some reason.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #14

Make sure the new wheels are spec for the tire pressure you'll be using. I'm new to the dedicated RV (Vengeance Toyhauler) but have years of experience with gooseneck horse trailers. They have really nice living quarters so I guess they're sorta an RV...just much heavier.

Had horrible experience with 16" Maxis, GY Marathon and another brand (forgot which). Used three complete sets in the first 8,000 miles. Switched to the Goodyear G614 RST "H" rated and have over 15,000 miles on them and they hardly show any wear at all. BUT, since they need air at 110 psi I had to change all the wheels to handle that.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:51 PM   #15

Quote:
THANK YOU BOTH!!

I was fairly certain they were 6 x 5.5" as most trailer wheels I found were that size but hoped to verify without pulling a wheel. I planned on asking at my dealer when I pick it up but I'm not totally sold on dealership knowledge! I'd contact FR but couldn't find a way to do that either...

I'll post some pics if I do the upgrade. I may stick to the G26 Cargo but I like the 16" option to future proof things and make it easy if I need to replace on the road for some reason.
I had Firestone Transforce on the Ram and I think they would well on the trailer on a 16x6" rim (6 on 5.5) in the 225/75R16 size on the trailer. Rated@ 106MPH and 2680# (memory). I also was searching on ebay and saw a couple of sets of 16x6 trailer wheels... with correct bolt pattern... under $400, which would work. Tires Plus has the Transforce total out the door for about $700. The height of the tires are about 1 inch taller, so that should be doable.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I had Firestone Transforce on the Ram and I think they would well on the trailer on a 16x6" rim (6 on 5.5) in the 225/75R16 size on the trailer. Rated@ 106MPH and 2680# (memory). I also was searching on ebay and saw a couple of sets of 16x6 trailer wheels... with correct bolt pattern... under $400, which would work. Tires Plus has the Transforce total out the door for about $700. The height of the tires are about 1 inch taller, so that should be doable.
WW
That was Exactly what I was looking at. I have that tire on my TV and it's working out well. I have a small local guy I get most of my tires from and they also use that tire on all the Fire and EMS trucks.

I need to do 5 ea so I have a spare but I am still only looking at $1300 OTD from my local guy or Tire Rack. 225/75R16 is popular enough I can pick up spares on the road if needed with plenty of options when it's time to replace. I have plenty of space in the wells of the camper.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:44 PM   #17

Before I ordered my 16" wheels and tires I took the spare to Discount Tire and had the guys there measure and confirm the bolt pattern was 6 x 5.5"
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel