Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2021, 07:07 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Play Harder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 510
29 XLR Hyperlite 2015/2016 major issues BEWARE!

So if your Looking at XLR Hyperlight heres what issues Iíve had with mine - I ordered it Loaded - winter package, generator package, fuel tank package

#1 too small heater - to credit after a lot of posting - XLR put bigger heater in and the very next year became standard

#2 slide does not slide in/out correctly for years **** system

#3 Leaf spring shackle bolts break off - there is a recall on this but not my year - but exactly what happens in recall

# 4
trailer delaminating big time right where every drainage gutter is - iíve have applied sealer 3 times to this trailer - warranty flat said not our problem

#5 broken leaf spring - so in the last 2 years iíve had broken shackle bolt and now a broken leaf spring - i would say this is not a safe trailer!!!!

the little things all the molding is falling off - in every crawl space there is sawdust that factory just left there when they put it together, if you crank up stable jacks too high back toy hauler door wonít open, had to replace fuel nozzle ect ect

these problem are not from neglect! but from very very bad manufacturing.

my 2 cents! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2339.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	260639Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1980.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	260640
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:11 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
scottrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 19
Interesting read. I have the 2017 XLR Hyperlite 29HFS and so far havenít had these issues but I have had other annoying minor maintenance issues from poor quality. I assume thatís how all campers are built these days though..
scottrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Play Harder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
So if your Looking at XLR Hyperlight heres what issues Iíve had with mine - I ordered it Loaded - winter package, generator package, fuel tank package

#1 too small heater - to credit after a lot of posting - XLR put bigger heater in and the very next year became standard

#2 slide does not slide in/out correctly for years **** system

#3 Leaf spring shackle bolts break off - there is a recall on this but not my year - but exactly what happens in recall

# 4
trailer delaminating big time right where every drainage gutter is - iíve have applied sealer 3 times to this trailer - warranty flat said not our problem

#5 broken leaf spring - so in the last 2 years iíve had broken shackle bolt and now a broken leaf spring - i would say this is not a safe trailer!!!!

the little things all the molding is falling off - in every crawl space there is sawdust that factory just left there when they put it together, if you crank up stable jacks too high back toy hauler door wonít open, had to replace fuel nozzle ect ect

these problem are not from neglect! but from very very bad manufacturing.

my 2 cents! Attachment 260639Attachment 260640


oh forgot 2 more Microwave bracket broke and Came flying out and china stereo / surround sound died

Trailer is falling apart
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:16 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
So if your Looking at XLR Hyperlight heres what issues I’ve had with mine - I ordered it Loaded - winter package, generator package, fuel tank package

#1 too small heater - to credit after a lot of posting - XLR put bigger heater in and the very next year became standard

#2 slide does not slide in/out correctly for years **** system

#3 Leaf spring shackle bolts break off - there is a recall on this but not my year - but exactly what happens in recall

# 4
trailer delaminating big time right where every drainage gutter is - i’ve have applied sealer 3 times to this trailer - warranty flat said not our problem

#5 broken leaf spring - so in the last 2 years i’ve had broken shackle bolt and now a broken leaf spring - i would say this is not a safe trailer!!!!

the little things all the molding is falling off - in every crawl space there is sawdust that factory just left there when they put it together, if you crank up stable jacks too high back toy hauler door won’t open, had to replace fuel nozzle ect ect

these problem are not from neglect! but from very very bad manufacturing.

my 2 cents! Attachment 260639Attachment 260640
I have a 2015 replaced all four leaf springs a couple years ago after the rear ones broke went to 5200 lbs springs , never problem with broken shackles or bolts but changed them out the first yr with the ez flex equalizer thicker shackles and wet bolts



no delam at all . but always stay on top of re-chulking outside areas , should be done no matter what unit you have



slide issues only once and it was the screw that holds the motor in place as soon as i heard the knocking of the motor i knew what happened and replaced the set screw otherwise nave an issue , this can happen to and does to many units



furnace is small they used to advertise a 20,000 btu unit when it was only 19,000 got forest river to add an extra yr of warranty for that bit of mis advertising . also re ducted furnace so now it heats nicely the front 19' of TH just not so much in the garage which is fine .


I have had no big issues with the xlr 29 hsf . yes the springs but see broken springs all the time on trailers and 5th wheels so it's not unit specific.,


Have had no issues with fuel station or back door or stabilizer jacks



going on 7 yrs full time and happy with the way the th is holding up .


so one unit may have issues and others not . does not make the whole line bad . compared to other units i think the xlr 29 hsf is much better then most.


edited to add that i have replaced the gas shocks on the doors , awning motor , new awning material , all brakes last yr . but this is normal maintenance . my microwave also came loose but fixed up before any damage . getting ready to add rear ac in garage . replace lower portion of thetford toilet . all cabinets and trim has been good and still looks new in side . pulled the dinnete and added two recliners ,



I head cross country every yrs west Yellowstone MT to Fort myers Fl so around 6000 miles a yr and am happy with my 29
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:38 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Play Harder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
I have a 2015 replaced all four leaf springs a couple years ago after the rear ones broke went to 5200 lbs springs , never problem with broken shackles or bolts but changed them out the first yr with the ez flex equalizer thicker shackles and wet bolts



no delam at all . but always stay on top of re-chulking outside areas , should be done no matter what unit you have



slide issues only once and it was the screw that holds the motor in place as soon as i heard the knocking of the motor i knew what happened and replaced the set screw otherwise nave an issue , this can happen to and does to many units



furnace is small they used to advertise a 20,000 btu unit when it was only 19,000 got forest river to add an extra yr of warranty for that bit of mis advertising . also re ducted furnace so now it heats nicely the front 19' of TH just not so much in the garage which is fine .


I have had no big issues with the xlr 29 hsf . yes the springs but see broken springs all the time on trailers and 5th wheels so it's not unit specific.,


Have had no issues with fuel station or back door or stabilizer jacks



going on 7 yrs full time and happy with the way the th is holding up .


so one unit may have issues and others not . does not make the whole line bad . compared to other units i think the xlr 29 hsf is much better then most.


edited to add that i have replaced the gas shocks on the doors , awning motor , new awning material , all brakes last yr . but this is normal maintenance . my microwave also came loose but fixed up before any damage . getting ready to add rear ac in garage . replace lower portion of thetford toilet . all cabinets and trim has been good and still looks new in side . pulled the dinnete and added two recliners ,



I head cross country every yrs west Yellowstone MT to Fort myers Fl so around 6000 miles a yr and am happy with my 29

I saw you edited your post your first post had that you modified to 5200lb axles - that kinda makes my point - XLR built to minimum bare minimum specs.

I have done lots of maintenance, like all my vehicles- if your looking buying super light weight your giving up on build Quality!

Iíve owned some sort of camper/ Trailer for 30 years - XLR is not acceptable!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:05 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
I saw you edited your post your first post had that you modified to 5200lb axles - that kinda makes my point - XLR built to minimum bare minimum specs.

I have done lots of maintenance, like all my vehicles- if your looking buying super light weight your giving up on build Quality!

Iíve owned some sort of camper/ Trailer for 30 years - XLR is not acceptable!

I edited just to add incidentals that i left out . I DO not have 5200 lbs axles . but when the rear springs broke 2 falls ago i replaced the springs with the 2600 lbs springs . all 4 . not an expensive undertaking if your handy . All RV"S are built to bear minimum specs .


I will say compared to others i've been in the 29 has been a good unit . The lack of quality runs in every brand
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:46 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
scottrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
The lack of quality runs in every brand

Bingo. Agreed. Every manufacturer tries to squeak by with what they can get away with.
scottrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:15 PM   #8
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Goodyear, Arizona
Posts: 34,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrod View Post
Bingo. Agreed. Every manufacturer tries to squeak by with what they can get away with.
Yep, even the sacred cows like Airstream and Winnebago.
Many here haven't been members of other RV forums, especially non-brand RV forums like RV.net.
If they did, they will see complaints about every brand of RV and every RV manufacturer. I've been a member there since 2005 so I know what I'm talking about.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:00 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Play Harder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Yep, even the sacred cows like Airstream and Winnebago.
Many here haven't been members of other RV forums, especially non-brand RV forums like RV.net.
If they did, they will see complaints about every brand of RV and every RV manufacturer. I've been a member there since 2005 so I know what I'm talking about.


So your saying itís ok to put out low quality American made products since your my forum guy 🤣

Donít post facts with photos - itís just the way it is - accept it - give me a break -
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:49 AM   #10
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Goodyear, Arizona
Posts: 34,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
So your saying itís ok to put out low quality American made products since your my forum guy [emoji1787]

Donít post facts with photos - itís just the way it is - accept it - give me a break -
I was quoting the previous post.
I wasn't referring to you.
I'm not saying your issues aren't valid.
My comments were about the entire RV Industry as a whole, which FR is one of the big players in and just as guilty.
The problem is that nothing will change unless the public stops buying RVs. It's the only way to make the RV Industry change its ways. There won't be any foreign competition in RVs, like Toyota or Nissan were for the Auto Industry.
This topic has been discussed forever but the public keeps buying RVs, like the past year of all time record sales.
I have NO brand loyalty for anything, especially for RVs and cars/trucks. I only bought FR products because they had the best floorplan for us, at the time. Our next RV will be a Starcraft or Open Range 5th wheel, again because they have the best floorplan for us.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:33 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 198
I have a 2015 29HFS as well, and while I have had some minor issues, it has been overall a very good unit. Except, of course, for the ridiculously undersized furnace, as you referred to already. I'm an engineer, and this is such a gross miss I seriously doubt that XLR employs any engineers.



Our unit is stored indoors and I'm sure that helps overall. But again, I have been very happy with it. We have made MANY upgrades that have really made it "ours" and suited to our needs. Except for the damn furnace!


Very sorry about all the OPs issues. RVs seem to be a crap-shoot among all brands as to what you will get.


Did I mention the ridiculous joke of a furnace?
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 581
I ordered my 2015 29hfs from the factory and have had very minor issues. One tail light and one fender replaced under warranty. I have replaced my wheel bearings, brakes and tires but that is standard maintenance. My camper has been outside its entire life (MN winter storage...) but does get washed & waxed very frequently be me. I have done many updates in the inside and have found silly HVAC routing or "build" dust/wood chips in many places.

Overall, I have been very pleased with my 29hfs. There will always be minor build issues but I have not had any major issues with my build. I would buy another one if I was in the market. But to be honest, I love the layout of the 2015 29hfs. I would rather put in new parts down the road (I'm talking 3-4 years from now...) than get a new model.

Fully understand that people can get lucky with good builds and other have bad luck with poor builds (which stinks...).
__________________
2015 XLR Hyperlite 29HFS (installing mods...)
2018 Chevy 3500HD 4X4 6.0L
stevejd235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 08:37 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2024
Posts: 2
I have a 22 xlr have been living in for a year and half. 1st week canopy falls apart, then fridgerator door issues ,then lots of electrical issues. What a waste of money this trailer is. I heard good things about forest river but the hyperlite is a POS
Gktravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 09:18 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Alberta
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gktravels View Post
I have a 22 xlr have been living in for a year and half. 1st week canopy falls apart, then fridgerator door issues ,then lots of electrical issues. What a waste of money this trailer is. I heard good things about forest river but the hyperlite is a POS
Although I havenít had anything too major on my Ď14 395amp yet, the quality is alot less than Iíd expected out of them especially for the price point.

Electrical issues arenít surprising, theyíre known for running staples right through conductors and Iíve come across it more than once in my unit while doing other repairs.


Definitely canít say I would recommend them to anyone
ykdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 10:02 PM   #15
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Goodyear, Arizona
Posts: 34,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gktravels View Post
I have a 22 xlr have been living in for a year and half. 1st week canopy falls apart, then fridgerator door issues ,then lots of electrical issues. What a waste of money this trailer is. I heard good things about forest river but the hyperlite is a POS
Forest River didn't make the canopy(awning?), nor the fridge.
What are the electrical issues?
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 10:50 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Alberta
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Forest River didn't make the canopy(awning?), nor the fridge.
What are the electrical issues?
Not that thereís a whole lot of options of Rv appliance manufacturers out there, but FR chose to use certain brands which maybe werenít up to his expectations. They didnít make the appliances, but they chose to use them so they still hold some blame!


I honestly canít say anything bad about my dometic fridge and awnings, I lived in my trailer for the first couple years when it was new and 10 years later all the appliances are original short of the microwave(shore power spike, wasnít anyoneís fault) and control board on the furnace

On my unit I canít say anything bad about the appliances. Itís just the overall build quality and lack of ****s given during the build that really turned me off. Iím sure quality on the 2020+ units is 10x worse

Iíve found multiple 120v and 12v lines stapled through the conductor, boards that had split during assembly and left(wall studs), wood scraps and sawdust left inside the interior walls (found while fixing an electrical issue), 3Ē holes cut everywhere just to pass through a couple wires or 1/2Ē pex, tank heaters never did work and never did get resolved and Iím sure thereís a whole laundry list of things Iím forgetting.


End of the day every manufacturer is guilty of most of this stuff too, I just expected to see that **** on something with a $30,000 sticker on it, not $108,000
ykdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 11:07 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2024
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Forest River didn't make the canopy(awning?), nor the fridge.
What are the electrical issues?
I know they didn't make the fridge and awning or the other electrical products. I'm just saying the ones I have were lousy ..I lost power to some of my outlets..then more went out ..I'm gonna replace the 2 GFCI outlets tday see if they're bad..have you had door issues Mines had closing issues and the other day I couldn't open it .. .. I think mine was started on a Friday afternoon and finished building it on a Monday morning haha
Gktravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lite, xlr

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.