Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2016, 04:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Ian, if they're like most, they keep going in and out. Nothing can cool down the great outdoors.
The Lord....

I had to "threaten to kill" it didn't work. Maybe helped a tiny bit
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #22

My daughter had a party for my g-daughter graduation. There were more people there than I can count; especially the little ones going in and out. Her AC was wide open all day and it wouldn't cool below 84; she knows an AC guy and he came out and check out the system and then in the morning to find the house at a comfortable 76; so it was the kids. Oh, the good news at the party, I was in my Hyperlite that evening and comfortable.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmalm View Post
We have a one year old XLR Thunderbolt 340x12.

When we purchased we were told the unit had one AC and an extreme weather package and would keep everything cool in the summer. We have come to find out we need the 2nd AC. One unit runs continuously and doesn't really cool until 1am. With it running all the time we've added fans to try and help and with all the noise you can't hear a thing.

Here's my question, has anyone purchased a portable AC to use to help cool? My camper is wired for a second AC it's just more expensive.

Anyone have the same problem and have a solution? Thanks.
M, I just noticed your question. Without trying to sound like a sales pitch; I bought a 10K Haier. I really like it. I customized a plate to duct it through the floor (just in front of the fuel tank), that I can block off when not in use; I ran separated power to an outlet; a 20A breaker, then to an outside weather proof outlet; where I can connect to the pedestal or to a generator. My 2000 Honda can power it, but I haven't had to yet. It is running right now, set to 80 with the interior doors open keeps the camper from overheating and controlling mold. I looked yesterday and it was 80 in the garage and 85 in the living room.

It is much quieter than the Dometic, has remote control, fan only, or dehumidify mode. It has a condensate tank, but I have not had to empty yet, since it evaporates it away. It will cool the garage nicely. It is nice to be able to control it.

Haier 10,000 BTU 350 sq. ft. Cool Only Portable Air Conditioner with 80 Pint/Day Dehumidification Mode and LCD Remote Control-HPN10XCM - The Home Depot

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 08-20-2016, 04:43 PM   #24

there problem not yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmalm View Post
We have a one year old XLR Thunderbolt 340x12.

When we purchased we were told the unit had one AC and an extreme weather package and would keep everything cool in the summer. We have come to find out we need the 2nd AC. One unit runs continuously and doesn't really cool until 1am. With it running all the time we've added fans to try and help and with all the noise you can't hear a thing.

Here's my question, has anyone purchased a portable AC to use to help cool? My camper is wired for a second AC it's just more expensive.

Anyone have the same problem and have a solution? Thanks.

I have a toy hauler diff company told me same thing 1 a/c will not keep it cool its a bumper pull toy hauler ,I hired a lemon law atty ,no way am I going to have to put more of my money in a camper that they did not engineer correctly !
jeffowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #25
Coachman 312BHDS

Our 2nd Dometic in our bedroom is the only thing that overwhelms my wife's snoring and lets me sleep like a baby. ;-)

Our 312BHDS was wired for the 2nd unit butt one would only need it if you live in a warmer climate. Not sure how one could sue them if the dealer only stayed with the ducted central unit. Comfort is an individual thing. Ours also has the 50 amp service. I say fork out for the proper installed unit and be done with it. You can pick several brands.

Besides a 2nd unit is zoned cooling that can have huge advantages if company comes along camping.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffowen View Post
I have a toy hauler diff company told me same thing 1 a/c will not keep it cool its a bumper pull toy hauler ,I hired a lemon law atty ,no way am I going to have to put more of my money in a camper that they did not engineer correctly !
I'm sure anything over 90 one ac unit would have a hard time keeping up . in my 29hsf th i have no issues keeping it cool up to 90 outside and 70 inside . of course i do not cool the garage , i also added insulation to the windows and cover the black outside surface of the slide that's in the sun . i have one vent in garage blocked off so only one going on in there where it stays about 10 degrees warmer then the rest of the unit . i use the garage door to come in and out of the unit so all is good with my 15500 btu ac .
Now weather a lemon law lawyer can do anything remains to be seen keep us up-dated on that . these cans we use as homes away from home will bake in the sun and a couple inches of insulation will not help much . of course i don't stay where the temps will be higher then 90 .most of the time just in the 80's during the day .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #27

r v industrys s responsibilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbln930 View Post
Our 2nd Dometic in our bedroom is the only thing that overwhelms my wife's snoring and lets me sleep like a baby. ;-)

Our 312BHDS was wired for the 2nd unit butt one would only need it if you live in a warmer climate. Not sure how one could sue them if the dealer only stayed with the ducted central unit. Comfort is an individual thing. Ours also has the 50 amp service. I say fork out for the proper installed unit and be done with it. You can pick several brands.

Besides a 2nd unit is zoned cooling that can have huge advantages if company comes along camping.
the R V industry has a legal responsibility to keep a unit with- in 20 degrees inside the unit of the outside temp. so if its 95 outside it has to be able to maintain 75 inside or less ,if it doesn't its there legal responsibility to make it right !
Old 08-20-2016, 07:05 PM   #28
Coachman 312BHDS

Well good luck on that. What if the RV unit doesn't have AC? Show us the law.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:17 PM   #29

Quote:
the R V industry has a legal responsibility to keep a unit with- in 20 degrees inside the unit of the outside temp. so if its 95 outside it has to be able to maintain 75 inside or less ,if it doesn't its there legal responsibility to make it right !
I think your stretching it . I've never read anywhere weather in a home or rv that requires a 20 degree differential in temps between inside and outside temps .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #30

Quote:
That is not correct, no way on earth that is possible. That is not written anywhere or show me where it is........................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #31

We have a 30A camper we run the camper and its AC on the 30A plug and the second AC with its own independent wiring system using the 50A plug works great run a second refrigerator on it as well.

Many bigger RVs now have 3 ACs it is becoming more and more common.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 08-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
That is not correct, no way on earth that is possible. That is not written anywhere or show me where it is........................
been told by people in the r v industry and my lemon law atty ..in my case it was 93 outside and was 88 inside we where not fanning doors kept them closed over 4 hours ! r v tech also told me all r v 's should be cool with in a 4 hours time frame believe me if you want or call and ask a reputable dealer ,lemon law atty. or e mail the factory and find out for your self !
Old 08-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #33

Quote:
been told by people in the r v industry and my lemon law atty ..in my case it was 93 outside and was 88 inside we where not fanning doors kept them closed over 4 hours ! r v tech also told me all r v 's should be cool with in a 4 hours time frame believe me if you want or call and ask a reputable dealer ,lemon law atty. or e mail the factory and find out for your self !
No I have a reputable dealer, but I do not see how that can be proved, but I am more interested in where that is written in law. Lemon laws do not cover RVs in most states either. In this state a lawyer would say sorry no lemon law here for RVs. Sounds like a lot of time and money for nothing. I know what an AC should do but..........

I am one of those show me in writing because i do not believe that it is......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 08-20-2016, 08:46 PM   #34
Carknocker Family

Money spent on a lawyer would probably buy a second a/c unit.

But it's your money, spend it, burn it, give it to me😁, makes no difference.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
Money spent on a lawyer would probably buy a second a/c unit.

But it's your money, spend it, burn it, give it to me��, makes no difference.
r v dealers & mfgr's love you guys ! why do you think there's so many problems with r v 's now ? Mmmmm could it be because no one will stand up to them??? btw ! won't cost me any money
Old 08-20-2016, 09:12 PM   #36
Carknocker Family

Let us know how it turns out.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:59 AM   #37

There should be a 20 deg change from outside temp and what's coming out of the vent of the AC. But not trailer temp.
Plus this would fall under the AC manufacture not the RV manufacture.

So you would get a new AC not a new trailer.

My 5th wheel has the extreme weather package. Double insulated Windows , insulated belly, insulated cap. I was camping in 98 deg full sun and high humidity and my one AC never shut down. But I would expect this during a heat wave.

I agree the garage area needs more heat and AC. But this area has less insulated material. If you plan on camping in the hot summer or cold winters you need to add a extra AC and heater. Keep in mind this area is call a Garage.

Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-21-2016, 07:06 AM   #38

Quote:
r v dealers & mfgr's love you guys ! why do you think there's so many problems with r v 's now ? Mmmmm could it be because no one will stand up to them??? btw ! won't cost me any money
No its because there is no Lemon Law and no way to win. Oh wait the lawyers always win.

No law to back it up. No law saying an AC has to perform to a certain standard. No Lemon Law in most states for RVs. ACs are an option you can buy a camper without one. How could you possibly win.

Good Luck let us know how it works out.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 08-21-2016, 07:19 AM   #39
Coachman 312BHDS

+1. It is a warranty item on the AC and there is no guarantee on the trailer indoor temperature. Our 312BHDS has the insulated heated bottom as well. When it hit 100F at very high humidity at Table Rock Lake in Missouri about two months ago it took both ACs to hold 75 F and they both ran continuously. Lawyers and frivolous law suits is what raises the cost on everything. It's what's wrong with America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
There should be a 20 deg change from outside temp and what's coming out of the vent of the AC. But not trailer temp.
Plus this would fall under the AC manufacture not the RV manufacture.

So you would get a new AC not a new trailer.

My 5th wheel has the extreme weather package. Double insulated Windows , insulated belly, insulated cap. I was camping in 98 deg full sun and high humidity and my one AC never shut down. But I would expect this during a heat wave.

I agree the garage area needs more heat and AC. But this area has less insulated material. If you plan on camping in the hot summer or cold winters you need to add a extra AC and heater. Keep in mind this area is call a Garage.

Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-21-2016, 08:01 AM   #40

The difference between temps at the return and at the registers should be greater than 20 degrees; called "delta" has nothing to do with difference between outside and inside temperatures; way too many variables; not the least of which: sun or shade, people running in and out, etc. The only way if it is 100 degrees outside that I can get my 29HFS less than 80 inside is to add a second AC in the garage and cover the windows to better insulate them. I also added insulation to the floor, but need to do more. In FLA the so called lemon law says, "If the motor vehicle is a recreational vehicle (RV), towable RV’s are not covered by the Lemon Law and the Lemon Law does not cover the “living facilities” of motorized RV’s (those portions of the RV designed, used or maintained primarily as living quarters). "

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas