Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #1

4400# axles on the 27hfs - not so according to 1 of largest fr dealers!

I have been thinking about buying a 27FHS and am concerned about several things. One of them is the axle weight limit issue. I asked a FS dealer about the #4400 axles here is his reply via email:

"This unit has the 3500 pounds axles and the 13.5 we can upgrade the a/c for you and they no longer offer the larger axles the ones that are on the unit are more than adequate and the larger axles will not change the cargo capacity that is per the manufacture any other questions feel free to call me at......".

I had also asked about the 15K AC unit - so I.m rather confused in light of the various posts I have read on here regarding this critical issue. BTW this is a 2013

2013 Forest River XLR XLT 27 HFS

This issue is a biggie for me and maybe a deal breaker?
shredmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #2

Find one with the 4400# axles. The 3500# axles are [B]notB] adequate! My 2012 came with them but forum buyers of the 2013 models say they come with 4400#. They must design with the idea that an 8000# trailer with over 1000# of hitch weight will have less than 7000# on the axle. In the real world, a WDH will transfer much of the hitch weight forward to the TV and back to the trailer axle. My 27fhs, loaded as intended with atv, gas, water, etc. (close to it's cargo limit), with a WDH has a CAT scale of 7360# on the trailer axles and the tires rub the inside of the wheel well. Fortunately, FR is replacing my 3500 axles with 4400's under warranty. I don't know why FR would go back to the 3500. Think your dealer is just trying to unload one that hasn't been upgraded.
Rotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #3

Think i would find a different dealer. He sounds clueless.
rah.rrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmandan
I have been thinking about buying a 27FHS and am concerned about several things. One of them is the axle weight limit issue. I asked a FS dealer about the #4400 axles here is his reply via email:

"This unit has the 3500 pounds axles and the 13.5 we can upgrade the a/c for you and they no longer offer the larger axles the ones that are on the unit are more than adequate and the larger axles will not change the cargo capacity that is per the manufacture any other questions feel free to call me at......".

I had also asked about the 15K AC unit - so I.m rather confused in light of the various posts I have read on here regarding this critical issue. BTW this is a 2013
2013 Forest River XLR XLT 27 HFS

This issue is a biggie for me and maybe a deal breaker?
Shredmandan - the dealer you're talking is either uninformed or has one in stock with 3,500# axles that he is referring to. XLR has been using 4,400# axles on the 27HFS for a few months now. I'm one of the XLR factory reps so please feel free to private message me and I can help you out.
Guest6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #5

Is this a recall or warranty issue. Mine has 3500 and my tires are rubbing with just 800lbs of bikes in back and tanks empty or is it up to the dealer. When I first received my trailer the brakes weren't even wired right, had no brakes, it must have been built on a Friday cause it had lots of things wrong, for the most part I’m happy with it but I don’t think I would buy another one.
mrdon003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #6

After reading post, checked the axles last night stamped 4400 Lb, 2013 27HFS purchased 2 weeks ago. Dealer had just received the rv.
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #7

Mine was purchased in August and has 4400# axles all the ones one lot had them also.Sticker on side agrees with axles for higher weight.Actually met someone with early model and it has 5200# axles the should have kept using them.You should be able to find one without 3500#axles,shop around.
fnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #8

We bought a 2013 27 HFS in July, it came with the 4400lb axles!
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #9

We ordered our 24HFS in February and got it in April and it also has the 4400# axles.
Spiker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #10

Can anyone tell me if there have been any axle related failures? Axles seem to be a pretty big deal. Can you upgrade bearings or anything to improve the efficiency of ANY of the axles?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #11

Most manufacturers will cut close to the limits. We ordered a 2012 FR 26-FKWS Flagstaff. We are very happy with the unit. It's rated (loaded) at 7,000# and it had two 3,000# axles. The dealer called Dexter and was told NO they would not upgrade them to 3,500# or anything. I called the same morning and within 1 minute was told YES we will ship this week and we'll alert the dealer. At that time I didn't know that the dealer had called just before I did. I asked why and basically was told, "Because you the consumer figured out that the unit was not suspended correctly we will change the axles." The following week the dealer received several units that had 3,500# axles but the sticker on the front left of the unit had listed 3,000# axles. Now the bad part of the story. We got the unit June 1st., went to my class reunion and on the way home 6 weeks after we left the TT was totaled by a dump truck in a Pilot gas station. All was well, no injuries and within 30 days all $$$$ was settled and we ordered the same unit. We were assured that it would come with 3,500# axles. Well 7 weeks later it was delivered with 3,000# axles. So the dealer ordered 3,500# axles. They arrived and were installed 2 weeks ago. We stopped to pick the unit up and guess what they did??? They installed another set of 3,000# axles. The tech didn't bother to check the new axles. The problem was finally corrected by the dealer by removing a set of 3,500# axles from a unit on the lot. That was my suggestion originally but who am I. The TT is sitting in the drive and we are happy so far.
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #12

In regards to upgrading an existing axle. The first thing that I do when getting a new unit is: Replace the tires with a better brand and a greater load capacity if they make one. Change the bearings with ToYo brand and hand pack the wheels with synthetic Amzoil grease. Then correctly adjust the wheel bearing clearance. Then I will install shocks after I design and build what ever I need to so they are mounted close to vertical. If the unit has leaf springs I would also change to either bronze or the newer Never-Wear bushing and wet bolts (bolts that have grease fitting so the bushings can be lubed). That's about all you can do to a set of axles. There are a few other suspension goodies but you can't increase the load rating (heavier springs) because the axle housing would be overloaded. Dexter told me that the difference between the 3,000# and the 3,500# Tor-Flex axle was that they added more of the rubber compound inside the axle housing.
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #13

I bought my 27HFS (3500#) in another state and moved here to VA, my tires are rubbing, went to nearest FR dealer and they told me that they haven't heard a thing about it but you can bring it in an will look at it for $99.00 even thou its still under FR's warranty , is this common.
New wheels with a bigger offset would probably fix this too.
mrdon003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle