Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #1

actual 29HFS weight

I weighed my 29HFS today; empty of everything that isn't permanently attached inside and out; on a certified CAT scale. My unit was reported to weigh 6991# when it left the factory. It now weighs 7640#; a gain of 649#.

The tongue weight is now 1280#. TWR is 16.8%.

My truck weighed 6900# without me in it. With the trailer hooked up without WDH, the rear axle weighed 4580# and front 3600#. Truck by itself rear 2800# front 4100#.

I also weighed the trailer axles while hooked up to see how even they are. Keep in mind 1280# is on the tongue. The front trailer axle weighed 3360# and the rear 2960#. I was a bit surprised in the difference (400#). I wonder the WDH in place they would even out? So, axle pair weighed 6320#

I didn't see the point of weighing with WDH, but know I can shift a good 400# (or hope I can) from the rear axle to the truck front and trailer axles. I have 1400# bars and have leveled the truck with the trailer loaded in the past. The way I do it is measure top of both rear and front fenders before hooking up and again after cinching the WDH tight. My set up is the Reese (Drawtite) dual-cam and adjusted ike it is I let 5 chain links hang.

I don't how much each mod weighed, but the list goes like this: two deep cycle batteries and cables, about 30# of LP, a small 750W inverter and cord, a 26" flat screen on a swivel / tilt mount, a satelite receiver on a mount, a small audio amp for the radio, a couple of 12vdc plugs, a new 110vac plug, wiring, cabinet mods to the bed platform (added 4 drawers), added convection oven with cabinet mods to accomodate it, added silverware drawer, added a couple of towel bars, added a small wire broom hangar, added a cloth shoe holder (very light, but wanted to mention all that was added). Oh, and the axles were upgraded to 5200#ers, so they have to weigh something more. There isnt a drop of water in her.

Original options were Hid-n-screen, rear bed (one), sofa in place of dinette, gen prep, and fuel station.

I found out something the hard way as I pulled into the yard today. While driving forward in a tight left turn, the rectangular rack on the front (batteries are there) hit (slightly) the bumper putting a nice sharp dent in it. I didn't think this was possible on a not so tight turning 2500 2wd Ram, but it did. Maybe FR will buy me a new bumper

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #2

Friend of mine did that too. He put a Watch For Motorcycles bumper sticker over it. He also punched a hole in his truck camper with the points of a catamaran when he turned tight. Covered it with a light that helps with night hitching. Gotta be creative.
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:18 PM   #3

Might drill big holes all the way across for aerodynamics ... joke! Shopping for bumper stickers.....

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #4

Why so much difference between axles. Was it level?

Amazing how quickly the added stuff added up
GDavidHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:01 PM   #5

U got me concerned with hitting rack --that should not be possible Grrrrrr - I might have to trim rack right away - I have 4 way steering and truck can turn crazy tight turns......

Get out and Play Harder😛

2015 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded on order
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
U got me concerned with hitting rack --that should not be possible Grrrrrr - I might have to trim rack right away - I have 4 way steering and truck can turn crazy tight turns......

Get out and Play Harder��

2008 Can Am Spyder
Love that steering; mine takes a country mile to "bring 'er about". I think I would test this theory. I saw that it seemed to be getting close, so I widened the turn; the damage could have been worse... i think.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-12-2015, 10:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDavidHughes View Post

Slightly nose down.. very slightly. If FR intentionally configures the unit, somehow, for the rear axle to carry more, this would be an advantage to tongue weight. Or, something is going on, I know not what I don't think it was the scale based on another weight.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDavidHughes View Post

GDH, based on my calculator and my actual weights now, ONLY loading 2000# 48" back from the wall, the numbers look like this.

Resulting RAW without WDH 8360.0 (with WDH at least 400# higher)
Resulting TW 724.4
Resulting Total Weight 9640.0
Resulting TW ratio 7.5%
Resulting CG (inches from tongue) 234.1

You could be surprised that you now could only load 75# more stuff... SEVENTY-FIVE

Bottom line, if you plan to load 2000# in the garage, and if you start where mine was (6991#) without even a battery, you can only load 724# total and it didn't take a fancy calculator for this.

I still don't see how, to be practical, this unit will work for you and others who hope to put 2000# in the garage. It will do it, but 724#... really? If it must be done... absolutely no water, very few clothes, one battery, maybe a TV, the camping essentials (water hose, sewer hose, surge protector, chocks, and pad supports) and plan to buy food at the other end, and consume it all. Don't add cabinet modes. You would really have to be careful to not overload it.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #9

Ok I'm going to have to go on a serious diet so I can fit in the garage and not overload it 😜😝😛 lol - taking the stickers a little too serious --good thing my Can-Am Spyder only weight about 800# and my kiteboarding equipment and SUP only weigh 100 or so more - And having a fully loaded model ___

I like to give the engineers some credit -- if it was a huge issue we would here a lot more about overloaded on this forum - looks like FR is selling quite a few hyperlights -

Guess I'll give a good report back in the next few weeks - I or my wife like to take the whole house w us - so time will tell quickly if I need an axle change.

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #10

man looks like your #'s added up quick . I'll have about 1400 to 1600 in garage , So your number of 7640 . had to have been more then how the camper came . they can't be off 649 # on dry weight , can they . if they are their cargo rating is off by the same . discouraging . My bike 950# and if a get a KLR another 428 . that would leave me with only 222 for other gear in garage . and using the rest of the 1100 in batteries , tv , clothes food water and so on .

It would be nice to see loaded weights to see if the axles weights even out when you have your bike in there etc
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
man looks like your #'s added up quick . I'll have about 1400 to 1600 in garage , So your number of 7640 . had to have been more then how the camper came . they can't be off 649 # on dry weight , can they . if they are their cargo rating is off by the same . discouraging . My bike 950# and if a get a KLR another 428 . that would leave me with only 222 for other gear in garage . and using the rest of the 1100 in batteries , tv , clothes food water and so on .

It would be nice to see loaded weights to see if the axles weights even out when you have your bike in there etc
I am sure they were not off at all. Did you see all I added? Batteries, receiver, TV, the cabinet mods, the heavier microwave, the load bars and dual-cam parts, lots of insulation, which weighed something, inverter and heavy 10/3 cord, etc. It surprised me that it went over 500# of stuff. But when you're doing stuff, its hard to tell how much you are adding. Oh, and I waxed it, that wax is H-E-A-V-Y.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-12-2015, 11:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I am sure they were not off at all. Did you see all I added? Batteries, receiver, TV, the cabinet mods, the heavier microwave, the load bars and dual-cam parts, lots of insulation, which weighed something, inverter and heavy 10/3 cord, etc. It surprised me that it went over 500# of stuff. But when you're doing stuff, its hard to tell how much you are adding. Oh, and I waxed it, that wax is H-E-A-V-Y.
649 # of added stuff . I know the wax adds a lot but still . I've got a 100 ' of 8/3 50 amp I was going to use to run my extra electric , 4 batteries , one will be use as a trolling motor battery for my boat and rv when not trolling , The drawers are nice and it would be good to see them in the dinette storage ,

to have a limit of 724 after mods and garage is slim . works fine for weekenders etc , but I'll be in mine full time starting may15th in Yellowstone , at least i have good cargo weight left in the truck .
one big thing for me about this next adventure in life is lightening my load .
been having garage sales and still go out everyday and wonder what i've gotten rid of , seems like way to much stuff . it took 30 yrs to accumulate hope it doesn't take that long to get rid of it
Old 03-13-2015, 07:15 AM   #13

I feel your pain. We are trying to lighten things up and it seems like an endless task. Where did all this crap come from?
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #14

Quote:
I weighed my 29HFS today; empty of everything that isn't permanently attached inside and out; on a certified CAT scale. My unit was reported to weigh 6991# when it left the factory. It now weighs 7640#; a gain of 649#.

The tongue weight is now 1280#. TWR is 16.8%.

My truck weighed 6900# without me in it. With the trailer hooked up without WDH, the rear axle weighed 4580# and front 3600#. Truck by itself rear 2800# front 4100#.

I also weighed the trailer axles while hooked up to see how even they are. Keep in mind 1280# is on the tongue. The front trailer axle weighed 3360# and the rear 2960#. I was a bit surprised in the difference (400#). I wonder the WDH in place they would even out? So, axle pair weighed 6320#

I didn't see the point of weighing with WDH, but know I can shift a good 400# (or hope I can) from the rear axle to the truck front and trailer axles. I have 1400# bars and have leveled the truck with the trailer loaded in the past. The way I do it is measure top of both rear and front fenders before hooking up and again after cinching the WDH tight. My set up is the Reese (Drawtite) dual-cam and adjusted ike it is I let 5 chain links hang.

I don't how much each mod weighed, but the list goes like this: two deep cycle batteries and cables, about 30# of LP, a small 750W inverter and cord, a 26" flat screen on a swivel / tilt mount, a satelite receiver on a mount, a small audio amp for the radio, a couple of 12vdc plugs, a new 110vac plug, wiring, cabinet mods to the bed platform (added 4 drawers), added convection oven with cabinet mods to accomodate it, added silverware drawer, added a couple of towel bars, added a small wire broom hangar, added a cloth shoe holder (very light, but wanted to mention all that was added). Oh, and the axles were upgraded to 5200#ers, so they have to weigh something more. There isnt a drop of water in her.

Original options were Hid-n-screen, rear bed (one), sofa in place of dinette, gen prep, and fuel station.

I found out something the hard way as I pulled into the yard today. While driving forward in a tight left turn, the rectangular rack on the front (batteries are there) hit (slightly) the bumper putting a nice sharp dent in it. I didn't think this was possible on a not so tight turning 2500 2wd Ram, but it did. Maybe FR will buy me a new bumper

Looking at your weights again . i see your truck no TH hook up had a rear axle weight of 2800 and with 4580 . that's i difference of 1780# how did you come to 1280 ? also it seems you've pulled 500 off the front axle W/O wdh . no figures with your WD ?
I can understand the TH axles difference from front to rear unloaded . I would assume loaded in the garage would give you more rear axles weight ?
Just thinking how this thing will be when loaded . i don't have the access to the scales you do .
Old 03-13-2015, 08:54 AM   #15

I was joking about the wax, but was trying to think of everything I added. Lots of pollen on top, too.

I'm not sure what you are doing with that 100' of 8AWG. If you put 4 batteries on the A-Frame, that would only take short cables... several of them, obviously. Maybe you are going to convert to 50Amp service (I'm seriously considering this), would need to do that that second AC unit... and running too many appliances at the same time.... when 50A shore power is available.

I started full-timing and have that on hold for the moment. Most get rid of stuff, but keep things they are attached to. I gave lots away, much to disabled veteran, not sure if it is local to me or national. You can write if off your taxes, as well. So, people store some, but over the years eliminate the things stored. Most people beginning full-timing have motorhomes or large 5th wheels, unlike us with these relatively small trailers. I do know of a couple who full-time in a Casita. Pull it with a Volvo.

There is a couple I met that has a website, they call their adventure of beginning the full-timing lifestyle "RV Dreams"; they share how they did many things including costs. They have a journal and review campgrounds. I found it interesting, maybe it could help you in some way.

RV-Dreams Journal

Could RV Living Be Your Dream? Let's Find Out!!

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #16

wolfwhistle
I was joking about the wax, . No kidding lol
I have the wire one of the things I've stored for yrs and yrs . not only for hooking up the batteries but also for making some runs for power ports and inverters . not going to convert to 50 amp . no need I won't put much into this unit as it won't be in the stall more then a yr or 2 before upgrading to a fiver , but gets me going . being single there will be plenty of room . just think how much weight is saved by being single
Old 03-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Looking at your weights again . i see your truck no TH hook up had a rear axle weight of 2800 and with 4580 . that's i difference of 1780# how did you come to 1280 ? also it seems you've pulled 500 off the front axle W/O wdh . no figures with your WD ?
I can understand the TH axles difference from front to rear unloaded . I would assume loaded in the garage would give you more rear axles weight ?
Just thinking how this thing will be when loaded . i don't have the access to the scales you do .
I'll look at this in a couple of days... got to run now.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #18

Total weight of truck and trailer-14540. Subtract trailer axles - 6360. Subtract truck 6900. Tongue weight 1280.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-13-2015, 09:13 PM   #19

gotta cha
Old 03-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #20

Quote:
GDH, based on my calculator and my actual weights now, ONLY loading 2000# 48" back from the wall, the numbers look like this.

Resulting RAW without WDH 8360.0 (with WDH at least 400# higher)
Resulting TW 724.4
Resulting Total Weight 9640.0
Resulting TW ratio 7.5%
Resulting CG (inches from tongue) 234.1

You could be surprised that you now could only load 75# more stuff... SEVENTY-FIVE

Bottom line, if you plan to load 2000# in the garage, and if you start where mine was (6991#) without even a battery, you can only load 724# total and it didn't take a fancy calculator for this.

I still don't see how, to be practical, this unit will work for you and others who hope to put 2000# in the garage. It will do it, but 724#... really? If it must be done... absolutely no water, very few clothes, one battery, maybe a TV, the camping essentials (water hose, sewer hose, surge protector, chocks, and pad supports) and plan to buy food at the other end, and consume it all. Don't add cabinet modes. You would really have to be careful to not overload it.
As you may recall, I started this conversation because it just SEEMED like the max weight would be limiting and the tongue weight too light when putting the max garage weight inside. Now, I plan to use a WDH. Whe some of that load is shifted to the trailer axles..... I'm still a little baffled that they say it will be no problem. The next obvious step is to put some weight back there and prove your calculations.

That a lot of good work and I thank you for it.
GDavidHughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight